• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts
  • Interests:I've got so many I couldn't list them all. :)

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:34 PM

Well, after waiting at least a year and a bundle of days I finally bit the bullet and purchased a rifle. It's nothing fancy, but I'm hoping it will get the job done.

I purchased a Remington 770 in .30-06 today. I filled out the paperwork and after they ran it through the system they gave me the pick up reciept for it. I get to pick it up on October 14th. I'm hoping to take it out and sight it in. I'm looking forward to shooting it and my future hunts with it.

Do any of you out there own one? If so, what ammo seems to work best in it?

Well, that's all for now. I told the wife and she said "I don't even want to know about it". So I guess I'm in the clear. :)

#2 DirtyDave

DirtyDave

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:55 PM

Congrats. Cant go wrong with the 06. As for ammo, every rifle is different and they can all have different tastes in ammo.
My 06 likes the Hornady Superformance GMX and SST ammo in 150gr and 165gr. I dont own a rifle that doesnt like Hornady ammo.

#3 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,808 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:08 PM

:good:

#4 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • Interests:Hunting anything above or below the water. Kayaking, Backpacking, Scuba, Surfing, anything outdoors.

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:24 PM

ARH, it sounds like you got yourself an great gun. :good:

One thing to think about before you sight it in, is where are you going to do most of your hunting. Living in So Cal like you, many of the prime hunting areas nearby fall into the damn no lead zone. I agree with Dirty Dave that 150 - 160gr bullets will more than suffice for both deer and pigs. Once you select a bullet weight buy some lead and leadless ammo that has the same bullet weights. When you go to the range to sight it in, use the lead ammo to get on the paper and zero it in. Once you are zero'd in with the lead ammo, switch to the leadless ammo and rezero it in with that. I think you will find that you save yourself about $10- 20 bucks by using up the cheaper lead ammo to get you on the paper before switching over and fine tuning with your leadless ammo. :two-cents:

#5 Mutt

Mutt

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:12 AM

Good rifle and good caliber. Also if you bought it from a gun shop have them bore site it. It will help to save you some money while you zero it in.

#6 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,590 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:15 AM

Good choice of caliber Ray. Mackeralboy had a very good suggestion for you. The final choice of ammo will depend on the areas you hunt.

#7 UNLICENSE_HUNTER

UNLICENSE_HUNTER

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, camping, Horses and Baseball

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:55 AM

Hi ARH, :smiley_green_with_envy:

I been looking at that rifle and think I'll end up buying it. seen many good reviews. Just one thing that worries me. Some complaint about the bold being too hard. please let me know how it works out for you.

thanks

#8 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 11:19 AM

Thanks for the input guys. I'll use the information you gave me and get some lead and some lead-free ammo so that I know how each will react in the rifle and what adjustments will need to be made to re-zero when ammo is switched.

Unlicensed Hunter, Once I get out to shoot the rifle (roughly in two or three weeks) I'll let you know if the bolt/action is sticky or if it has a hard, heavy pull. When I tried the 7mm they had out on the rack it seemed to cycle fairly easily and the bolt wasn't anywhere near as sloppy as the bolt in the Mossberg I looked at. It seemed like it had a decent cycling to it. It may need a little fine tuning down the line, but they are supposed to be bore sighted and ready to shoot right out of the box. Like I mentioned though, I'll report back once I get a chance to fire off a few rounds. :)

#9 KNOCKED UP

KNOCKED UP

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,862 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, archery,Reloading.
    Harley Davidson Motorcycles, and good people
    RETIRED

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:04 PM

Congratulations ARH,
The 30-06 is a very good caliber.
I think you will like it.

Unlicenced Hunter,
Welcome to the forum.
Tom

#10 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:03 AM

Congratulations ARH,
The 30-06 is a very good caliber.
I think you will like it.

Thanks Tom. I took all the good advice when I asked about calibers (take down power, ammo availability and cost, etc.) quite a while back (approx. 4 to 6 months back) and went with the .30-06. I'm sure I'll be happy with my choice off caliber for sure. :)

I've heard with this particular model though, that I shouldn't shoot more than 4 or so rounds through it in a row. From what I understand, it has a "light" barrel and therefore will warp if you shoot too many shots in rapid succession. That's not a problem for me because once I sight it in I'll only really use it for hunting large game or when I take it to the range before specific seasons start in order to double check the zero of the scope.

Now I'm thinking I also might get an inbetween caliber (between my .22LR and my .30.06) for Coyotes, Bobcats and any other inbetween size game/predators. That won't be for at least a year though since I may be going on a hog hunt around the end of January in Texas at a friends 900 acre property. That trip will easily cost me around $700 (gas, food and miscellaneous) if I get to go. If I don't get to go, I might do a guided hunt for a hog.

However all will depend on if my leg heals before that time. Yesterday I had to go to the doctor and have X-Rays taken on my leg because something snapped in my leg (the lower back/calf area of the leg) and it caused me to take a tumble onto the floor at work. The doctor said it was a tendon rupture of the Plantaris Muscle (basically the tendon tore away from the muscle). He said there really isn't anything they can do for it. It will get black and blue in a couple of days and will take about 6 to 10 weeks to heal. I have to wear a compression wrap/bandage on it for as long as it takes to heal. I think that the doctor is a bit optimistic on the healing time since I had someting similar happen to my left leg and it took that long just to start walking normally and then another 2 to 3 months before I could run normally again. I'm bummed because I was really hoping to get out in the next couple of weeks when Quail Season opens. Now I'll be Hop-along Cassidy as I limp around everywhere. I guess it will give the critters a better chance of evading me. :)

#11 GSH

GSH

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 431 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, (deer, elk, turkey, upland bird) wanting to get into predator hunting, fishing, mules and packing, fly rc airplanes, ride bicycle, both road and mtb. I also, along with my wife , build western cowboy spurs.

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:17 AM

As far as your barrel just make sure that it doesn't touch along the forearm of the stock, I've shot my rifle to the point that the barrel is too hot to hold and the last bullet I shoot impacts the same spot as the first (as near as I can hold anyway, lol).

#12 DirtyDave

DirtyDave

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:00 AM

For a caliber in between your 22lr and 06, I suggest a .223

#13 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:37 AM

Thanks for that info DirtyDave. I'll keep that in mind when I get ready to purchase one in a year or so. :good:

#14 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,590 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:30 AM

I would agree with Dave because you can shoot so many different loads in a .223.

#15 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:17 PM

For a caliber in between your 22lr and 06, I suggest a .223

Yep... And just like your 30/06, as long as it's a Remington. Ok, fine then! Some just might claim I'm a bit prejudice. <_<

#16 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • Interests:Hunting anything above or below the water. Kayaking, Backpacking, Scuba, Surfing, anything outdoors.

Posted 10 October 2012 - 06:29 PM

ARH

I also suggest a .223 as a good in between caliber gun. :good:

#17 chuckocaster

chuckocaster

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, music, cooking.

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:51 PM

.223 is nice for coyotes and smaller, .243 is cool for coyotes and larger. I have both, and an '06. I pretty much have the bases covered.

#18 UNLICENSE_HUNTER

UNLICENSE_HUNTER

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:57 AM

Unlicenced Hunter,
Welcome to the forum.
Tom

Thank you Tom been finding alot of useful info the Forum. I just started hunting this year and have much to learn.

ARH you getting the riffle this weekend right. Hope your leg gets better soon man.

#19 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:08 PM

ARH you getting the riffle this weekend right. Hope your leg gets better soon man.

Yep. I get to pick it up Sunday. I probably won't get to shoot if for at least a couple more weeks though. My schedule just won't allow me to get to a range (or field for that matter) to try it out. :( No worries though. I'll make sure to post here after I've shot it and I'll let you know about the fluidity of the action/bolt and how the accuracy seems to hold up. :good:

#20 docskinner

docskinner

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Interests:Learning to navigate Cali hunting laws &amp; Regs. <br />Hunting, shooting, fishing.<br />

Posted 14 October 2012 - 05:58 PM

Good choice, and the deer or hogs won't know the difference between a fancy rifle or a plain jane.

#21 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 07:27 AM

Thanks UNLICENSE_HUNTER. The leg is feeling a little better. Good enough for me to hobble around and get out scouting a little this past weekend.

Concerning the Remington 770 .30-06... I picked it up on Sunday and went to the desert with a couple of buddies that hunt also. They were kind enough to spend a little time with me since this was my first time firing a rifle of this caliber (before this the largest caliber I'd shot was a .22 rifle and a .410 shotgun (and my air rifles which seem much easier to shoot now that I've shot the .30-06)).

Anyway, for an entry level rifle with no bells or whistles it is just what I needed. At first the bolt did seem a little bit "sticky" but I put a small amount of the proper lubricant on it and it started to smooth out. It helps if you keep your point of pressure on the bolt more towards the bolt than on the end of the bolt handle. One you figure out the best way to slide the bolt it works without any hitches and is fairly smooth. I didn't have any problems cycling the bolt while shooting.

Firing the rifle is going to take me a little time and practice to get used to. I am used to the 2-Stage triggers that my air rifles have and my 770 only has a single stage trigger. It will take time to get used to that trigger. The rifle "kicks" pretty good too, though much less than I had anticipated, and it is loud. The two guys that were with me said they could feel the sound wave from the shots. I took (12) shots total Sunday with the 770, letting it rest about 10 to 15 minutes between every four shots. My first shot I didn't try to hit the target. It was mainly to get a feel for the recoil of the rifle. After that, using my shooting sticks my next couple of shots were just right of my target at 100 yards (the target was about 12" in diameter) my fourth shot hit my target at the bottom , but was centered pefectly.

My next set of (3) shots hit the target low but were still centered on the targets. Then on my fourth shot of my second set I realized I was tensing up while pulling the trigger. So I took a deep breath and relaxed. I held the rifle firmly on my shooting sticks and against the meaty part of my shoulder/chest, and eased back on the trigger after planting my crosshairs on the bullseye. BOOM! I hit the bullseye! I was pretty happy at that point. My third set of four shots I did two at 100 yards and two at 200 yards. I hit the target with my second shot at 100 yards (it hit centered but a little low) and then for my last two shots I turned to the 200 yard target. My first shot at the 200 yard target was just to the right of the 12" target, but centered well. So I adjusted for windage by putting the crosshairs on the left edge of the target and fired. I hit the target and it spun sideways.

All in all, I'd have to say I am very happy with the rifle and it seems to be very accurate (I was shooting Remington Core-Lokt 150 grain rounds). Once I get comfortable shooting the rifle I know my accuracy will become much better and more consistant to the point where I will be ready to take it into the field for hog this year and then deer come next years season (this year there aren't any tags left in my area of D16). :)

#22 DirtyDave

DirtyDave

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:52 AM

I will be ready to take it into the field for hog this year and then deer come next years season (this year there aren't any tags left in my area of D16). :)

Get a pig tag and a bobcat tag and get out there. After D16 closes there wont be many people out there. Nothing wrong with the remington core-lokt's, be glad you dont have to use Un-Leaded ammo in SD

#23 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 09:21 AM

I'm just wondering, wouldn't a .30-06 be a bit much for a Bobcat? I'm only asking because after seeing the exit holes on the 6" thick paper filled boxes I was shooting, I'd be concerned that there wouldn't be much left of the hide to tan, or it might be ruined if I actually shot one with my .30-06. Like I mentioned, I'm only asking because I've never hunted with a rifle this size and figure it's better to ask those who know than guess. :)

#24 DirtyDave

DirtyDave

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 10:25 AM

Yes the 06 would be a bit much for a bobcat. I was only suggesting it because the season opened today and just letting you know there is more out there than just deer.

#25 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 10:49 AM

Ok Dave. Thanks for clarifying that for me and for the helpful suggestions. I'm definitely going to get a pig tag and I'll look into the Bobcat tag and review the regulations for them.

I'm hoping to get out this weekend with my air rifle for Quail, Cottontails and Jack Rabbits while I'm scouting for deer locations for my hunting buddy who has to go out of town this upcoming weekend.

Thanks again for the helpful information. :)

#26 UNLICENSE_HUNTER

UNLICENSE_HUNTER

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 02:27 PM

Congrats on the new rifle and thanx for the review.

I'll be stopping by a couple of gun shops this weekend and check out the prices on the 770. Just abit undecided about the cal but i'll let the price on ammunition do the thinking for me.

#27 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 08:32 AM

One of the main reasons I went with the .30-06 caliber was because of input from the fine members here at the CPC forum. :good:

One of the main points mentioned was that .30-06 ammo is usually available at almost any place that carries ammo, due to it's popularity. Also, the cost is typically lower than many of the other comparable calibers and it seems to go on sale quite often at places like Wally World, Big 5 and even online. It comes in three basic grain weights (150, 165 and 180) and if I'm not mistaken, can also be purchase in a lower 125 grain weight with a lower powder quantity for less recoil (I think it was a Hornady brand of ammo that I saw like that).

I had originally been looking into the .270 caliber, but noticed that the ammo was usually more expensive (not always, but most times a little bit more expensive) and allot of places I went into when looking at rifles didn't carry a wide selection of .270's but usually had a good selection of .30-06 rifles.

Anyway, as it was brought to my attention, in the end you are the one using the rifle and need to be happy with it, so purchase what feels good to you and will accommodate your needs. I wish you the best in your quest to get your hunting rifle. :)

#28 Kephers

Kephers

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and Shooting

Posted 21 October 2012 - 05:25 PM

I got the Marlin XL 7 in 25-06 for my deer/hog gun.

#29 Marlin55

Marlin55

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:13 PM

I bought a 770 two years ago and I have been pleased with it. I also bought the caliber 30-06 and it has been a good entry level rifle. It shoots straight, I still have the scope it came with on it and it likes the core lokt ammo. In a few weeks I will put it to the test in my first deer hunt.

#30 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:24 PM

Nice! I hope you are able to harvest your first deer. My buddy and I have been out four times now trying for a buck to fill his deer tag, but so far it is Bucks 4, Us Zero. I've stalked up on many doe while my buddy was at his stand fairly far off, but I haven't seen any buck as of yet in D16. I know there out there because another hunting buddy got himself a nice forkie on Thursday, Nov. 1st in D16, but we weren't able to spot one where we were at. What zone will you be hunting in Marlin55?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users