6 replies to this topic

#1 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 08:45 AM

I want to save the nicer coyote tails and make keychains out of them for my daughter and her friends. What steps must I take? Are fleas a concern?

#2 Old timer

Old timer

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts
  • Interests:Hunting (all types) fishing and reading all the posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 10:37 AM

All I ever done is strip the tail leaving the bone on the dog and using a soda straw fill it with salt some of mine are forthy years old stiff but still has all the hair. the fleas will leave when it cools
Without hunters there wouldn't be much of an environment to protect!!Conservation of Wild Life Through the Taking of Predators by Sportsmen United we stand

#3 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 11:38 AM

How exactly do ya "strip the tail" so the bone remains on the dog? Never done this, can ya tell? :doh[1]:

#4 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 14 July 2009 - 01:39 PM

First off salt does nothing more than dry it out.. If it gets wet it will rehydrate right back to the raw state... You can send them to a tannery and have them dry tanned, least then it wont run the risk of becoming a stinky mess later down the road.. Also it would be soft and supply versus being hard... A dry salted skin can actually be broken .. AS for skinning it take your knife, slit it down the underside without cutting all the hair.. Lay it out flat and get any flesh off.. Rub salt into the flesh side and let it dry out...then send to the tannery for dry tanning... If your just wanting to tube it and dry it out then you can simply skin it down the tail bone some, place a pair of pliers over the tail bone behind the skin place your one hand on the coyotes rump with your fingers spread around the tail bone, and pull towards you... the pliers will force the bone to slide out leaving a tubed tail...To dry preserve it, Take a piece of wire, and use it to push borax into the tail... Borax will dry it out like the salt but it also will prevent bugs.. Make sure you get it clear to the end.. if you miss any areas it will rot. Also if it ever gets wet, whether its humidity or water, it will rehydrate. As for killing the fleas... once you have your tail skinned off.. put it in the freezer.. it will kill the fleas and ticks.. or you can place it in a bag, make it like a ballon and spray raid into the bag, keeping it sealed for a few hours... Coyotes naturally stink, so you will want to use a deoderizer wash.. It will come out smelling so nice without that rank coyote smell..They will do that at the tannery if you send it in...
Royal Oaks TaxidermyAward Winning Taxidermist...When Quality Counts! DEER CAPES WANTED

#5 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,790 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 14 July 2009 - 01:45 PM

Rae, about how much is the cost to send it to the Tannery?
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#6 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 02:06 PM

How exactly do ya "strip the tail" so the bone remains on the dog? Never done this, can ya tell? :smiley-outta-here:

If you're in the field take your knife and cut around the tail near the rump, cut down just deep enough...don't go into the bone, just through the hide. If you cut too deep you can pull the whole tail off the body...bone and all. I then take my shooting sticks, stand on one or both of the rear legs and pull. The tail slips off the bone.I usually slit the tail to the end and salt it down...they last a long time this way. You can buy some tanning solution from a taxidermy shop along with a tail stripper and a slitter (looks like a letter opener). The tanning solution is pretty cheap and is made for doing a few coyote hide...I'd imagine you could do a bunch of tails with some. Or you could just wash em and salt em.
ProStaff - ProStaff - Field Staff - I'm very important!

#7 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 02:55 PM

Okay...that's helpful. Now inquiry #2. How many bobs would I need to make a vest?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users