Photo

Got a 2nd at the World Taxidermy Championships!

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 21 April 2007 - 11:52 AM

I had a heck of a time geting on the forum last few days but finaly got in..So here it is... I earned a 2cd place ribbon for the red fox mount!!! I scored 80 out of 100 possible.. Got dinged for the lip line being a little rough, not detailing the inner nose canal (Ya they look with a flashlight LOL) and ear canal not being detailed enough, edges of the ear not crisp enough, ears approx 1/2 inch too far back, and the judge said Id score higher if I used real plants instead of the plastic ones... She said over all it was an excellent mount and I just needed to do more detail work :)Im REALLY pleased to say the least! I mean lil ole ME got a SECOND!! At the WORLD Championship! I am just thrilled as all get out LOL...And I have around 300 pics of the mounts that were there so if anyone wants to see I can post some of the more unique ones.. I already posted alot of on CVC ... As alot of you know Ive NEVER made a habitat and this is only the 2cd fox Ive ever done :popcorn: And my first show ever.. So I am totally bouncing off the walls to place so well :huh: There were mounts entered from Russia, Italy, Australia, Sweden and of course, the USA and I probably didnt notice other places that came..Attached File  world_show_2_002.JPG   67.96KB   100 downloads

#2 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 21 April 2007 - 12:07 PM

That is just so great that we now have a world celebrity amongst the members of this board. :huh: :flag: :popcorn: :)

#3 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 21 April 2007 - 12:10 PM

Coyotehuntress,Congrats on your award. You have every right to be excited about your superior achievement.

#4 Rimrock

Rimrock

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,374 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 12:11 PM

Congratulations!! I stand in awe of a world class celeb. That is a neat mount.Don't hurt yourself bouning off the walls. :popcorn:

#5 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,660 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 21 April 2007 - 12:12 PM

Rae, congratulations on your award winning composition.The reason you've had trouble getting on line here is we've had a server problem that the service provider fixed last night. Sorry for the inconvenience.

#6 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,355 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 12:14 PM

Congrats !!! thats awesome the mount looks nice..... :popcorn:

#7 jim d

jim d

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 02:09 PM

congrats, outstanding mount :popcorn:

#8 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 02:13 PM

:smiley-funny-post-sign: Awesome mount Congrats!!!!!!!

#9 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 03:06 PM

Congrats! I can't wait to see that bobcat mount you're working on. I hope you get a first place with it at your next show.Hey, do you know if Darius was at that show?

#10 tW!tcH

tW!tcH

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 03:44 PM

Congratulations. That is one nice looking mount. If you need a place to store it...

#11 CRITTRGITTR

CRITTRGITTR

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, upland, deer, and last but not least predator hunting. Bass fishin, trout fishin, even a little fly fishin once in a while. Anything outdoors. I also do taxidermy has been a hobby of mine since i was 12 years old

Posted 21 April 2007 - 04:13 PM

That brings back memories. I really miss competing I just did birds though for the CAT Championships. We were able to choose wether or not we wanted to have our habitat scored. Congrats though on a fine job mount looks great. I remember my first competition, I was 15 when the judge told me i needed to rebuild the nicitating membrane and I went Huh! What is that! You can really learn a whole lot from the shows, lots of fun. Where was the World show at this year?

#12 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 04:13 PM

Great job! Way to go! :smiley-funny-post-sign: :rolleyes: Darren

#13 NVWalt

NVWalt

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fly fishing, kitebugging, photography, astronomy, hot springing, looking at as many beautiful women as possible.

Posted 21 April 2007 - 04:21 PM

Way to go. You are a true artist....Walt

#14 DEERSLAM

DEERSLAM

Hunting 365 days a year...in my mind

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts
  • Interests:Family and hunting

Posted 21 April 2007 - 04:28 PM

Congrats! Next year you'll be gunnin for that blue ribbon. :smiley-funny-post-sign:

#15 MojaveJ

MojaveJ

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and fishing

Posted 21 April 2007 - 08:26 PM

WTG Glad to hear you had a good time.

#16 vmthtr in green bay

vmthtr in green bay

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 06:08 AM

Nice job. Who's fox is it? Someone will have a great display in their Den with a great history.Mike

#17 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,857 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting ,and hog hunting with my dogs.

Posted 22 April 2007 - 09:39 AM

Congrats. What an acomplishment!!!

#18 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 22 April 2007 - 09:11 PM

Thanks Everyone :smiley-funny-post-sign: I actually bought the fox from a trapper in Wisconsin .. (I think that was the state LOL) I am probably going to set it at a business as a display unless someone offers a nice amount of cash.. kinda hard to sell my first ribbon winning mount but income is always nice... Had a few people interested but Noone really mentioned how much they would pay just that theyd like to buy it.. So I suppose if I get a nice offer someone would have it in their den LOL... IM going to change the habitat first though... IM back home now.. Left BoomTown this afternoon at 11 and man Im glad we didnt wait til later.. Chains required over the pass and 30 MPH max.. Snow was coming down good for awhile.. One wreck, snarled traffic for a bit, looked like a Van or a little SUV went over the edge.. Didnt seem to have any ambulances or hurt people so I guess everyone was okay. Just a couple of tow trucks with the extendable thingy on the back wenching the car back up from the side of the mountain. I had a great time, Learned ALOT.. but didnt get any hunting in.. Though I sure would have loved to.. Days were filled with seminars, by the time I got back to the trailer was usually too dark to bother with going out. Sides then I had to go over all my notes from the days seminars LOL.. Sure didnt leave me much fun time but it was soooo worth it to be able to attend such wonderful seminars by masters. IM just dying to practise my habitat building.. Learned how to make the most amazing looking rocks and trees from scratch. IM talking you have to look twice and touch it to make sure its not real LOL.. Ive got some great ideas for the bobcat base.. After I change his eyes a bit.. Going to make them more agressive. Still focused on the prey but with more of a glare to the eye shape. I have to get started on those snakes too :horse apples: Hubby has a few buddys out hunting pigs for me, so hopefully someone from here or one of his friends will get me a boar cape :) Then I can make the pig/snake scene I want to do.. Hubby wants me to get a pig to take to the State show so everyone is looking for a piggy LOL.. Ive got about 7 weeks to prepare ....

#19 Braz

Braz

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 22 April 2007 - 09:25 PM

What state show are you talking about and where is it going to be held? Is it open to the public?

#20 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 10:17 PM

What state show are you talking about and where is it going to be held? Is it open to the public?

The Calif State Show held in Redding June 23 /24 or 22/23 (Brain dead so Ill have to check on the actual dates.. I would imagine they would allow the public in to view the mounts once the judging is done.. Ill check into it. Or are you talking can the public take a mount? If that is what you meant, you just have to be a member of the Calif Taxidermist Assoc to show.. You can join at the show too..

#21 Braz

Braz

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 09:03 AM

The Calif State Show held in Redding June 23 /24 or 22/23 (Brain dead so Ill have to check on the actual dates.. I would imagine they would allow the public in to view the mounts once the judging is done.. Ill check into it. Or are you talking can the public take a mount? If that is what you meant, you just have to be a member of the Calif Taxidermist Assoc to show.. You can join at the show too..

No, I wasn't thinking of entering a mount, but attending to see all the mounts and to visit you and your mounts. Redding is very good for me, but I am sure it is out of the way for a lot of folks. If the public is allowed I sure want to be there. My summer place is about 40 miles outside of Redding, so it is very convenient.

#22 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 10:06 AM

No, I wasn't thinking of entering a mount, but attending to see all the mounts and to visit you and your mounts. Redding is very good for me, but I am sure it is out of the way for a lot of folks. If the public is allowed I sure want to be there. My summer place is about 40 miles outside of Redding, so it is very convenient.

I know Redding is much hotter during summer.. How hot would it be there in June? We talking run the Ac's or open a window? Would be great to meet :smiley-funny-post-sign: Redding I think is about 4+ hours from me.. I know its a LONG boring drive..

#23 Arise

Arise

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 10:39 AM

Hey, do you know if Darius was at that show?

SBF - He compeated and ended up w/ a #2 on a Sprig.CoyoteHuntress - I LOVE THAT MOUNT!!!!Congrats. :)

#24 pj1016

pj1016

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 11:18 AM

Hey, that looks real nice- congratulations!pj

#25 Varmint Al

Varmint Al

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Computers

Posted 23 April 2007 - 12:48 PM

Congratulations. That is a coveted prize. But, I have to ask ---- Is that fox doing what I think it is????Good Hunting... from Varmint Al Posted Image

#26 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 12:59 PM

Congratulations. That is a coveted prize. But, I have to ask ---- Is that fox doing what I think it is????Good Hunting... from Varmint Al Posted Image

Well if you think its running then yes... It has one front foot on the ground, other three are in mid air :) Ill post some different shots to show the legs :)

#27 Truckeedan

Truckeedan

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and fishing whenever my wife will let me!

Posted 23 April 2007 - 01:10 PM

Now that's funny Al. I thought is was running all along but now that you mention it...

#28 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,833 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 23 April 2007 - 01:17 PM

Thats realy asome way to go. :) :)

#29 Darius

Darius

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 02:35 PM

CoyoteHutress..............I wish I would've known you were going I would've introduced myself :) . There were some great seminars......huh ?I remember your Fox....................good job :) ............ I enetered a Pintail & pulled a 2nd place on it also. I also had entered that 10 foot Python on the Mayan pedestal base (don't know if you saw it) didn't fare as well !I have been going to the California Taxidermy show for 13 years now & it would be great to see you up in Redding in June. Email me with any questions you might have we are like a big family & everybody is welcome to CAT "California Taxidermy Association"PS................... I took off before that storm hit................ I didn't have chains for my rig !DariusTaxidermy

#30 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 23 April 2007 - 03:00 PM

Great job CH :) !!! That sucks how they dinged you for useing fake plants. Who the heck would want to water thier mount every few days? :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users