20 replies to this topic

#1 xjchad

xjchad

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:56 AM

Finishing up my hunter safety course this weekend and I want to know what would be the best way to set up my shotgun for coyotes (I will be using it for other types of hunting in the future as well). I have a standard Mossberg 500 (18" and 28" barrels). The 28" barrel is a fixed modified choke and from what I'm reading here a full choke would be better. Has anyone threaded thier own barrel before? I have access to a machine shop and am pretty good with the machines, but not sure of what dimensions and thread pitch I'd need so I was looking for a write up.On the other had, would I be fine staying with the modified choke and #4 shot (patterned for range of course)?Or should I look into slugs for better distance?Just want to find the best way to set it up so I can go get dialed in :)Thanks in advance!Chad

#2 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 14 February 2012 - 12:12 PM

You can get the tools you need from brownelles but by the time you buy the right tap it would have been cheaper to have it done by R&D (Americhoke).

#3 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 14 February 2012 - 12:41 PM

Absolutely, 100%, dead nuts on. I just went through this less than a month ago: http://www.californi...showtopic=25633 And since the die alone is over $150 (plus S&H) and I got it done for less than that including a $45 extended choke tube, plus I didn't have to lay a finger on it, how can you beat it? You're about 1-1/2 to 2 hours away so you may want to ship it, there are full instructions on the website, but I was only 20 minutes away so I have no experience when it comes to that part of the process. I can tell you though that like it says in the post, his service is top notch. One of the best moves I ever made. Thanks again SJ and clampdaddy for the heads up on them :lol:

#4 xjchad

xjchad

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 02:08 PM

Thanks Guys!That would be my ideal solution, but a little out of my price rance right now. I'll have to look around and see if I can find a used tap, or a loaner.In the mean time, I'll see what the pattern looks like with the modified choke.What about slugs? Anyone use them on yotes for more distance?

#5 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,805 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 14 February 2012 - 03:22 PM

If you're thinking of slugs, why not just use a rifle?

#6 Johnny Get Ur Gun

Johnny Get Ur Gun

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:Retired Master Gunnery Sergeant of Marines. Father of 6, 3 still at home. Avid hunter and fisher. Been a bird and big game hunter most my life, but have recently become interested in coyote and rabbit hunting. Looking forward to becoming a part of this online community and hopefully getting to hunt with some of you. Semper Fi!

Posted 14 February 2012 - 03:55 PM

You can get replacement barrels for the Mossberg, with accu chokes, for less than $200. I'd just buy a new barrel instead of trying to have the exiting one reworked. Keep the fixed modified barrel for bird and bunny hunting.DO NOT shoot a slug through your modified choke! Slugs should only be shot through improved cylender or open choke as they will expand any choke tighter than that. It won't take many slugs going down range before you have a useless choke on the end of the barrel.

#7 xjchad

xjchad

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 04:26 PM

If you're thinking of slugs, why not just use a rifle?

Don't have one (other than my .22) and can't afford one right now. Want to donate to my cause ;-)

You can get replacement barrels for the Mossberg, with accu chokes, for less than $200. I'd just buy a new barrel instead of trying to have the exiting one reworked. Keep the fixed modified barrel for bird and bunny hunting.DO NOT shoot a slug through your modified choke! Slugs should only be shot through improved cylender or open choke as they will expand any choke tighter than that. It won't take many slugs going down range before you have a useless choke on the end of the barrel.

Thanks! That's a great idea, but still out of my price range. I'll have to look for a used one. And I'll be sure to keep the slugs out of my modified barrel, thanks for the heads up!

#8 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,585 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 14 February 2012 - 04:31 PM

Don't forget to look on ebay, they have lots of different Mossberg 500 barrels.

#9 dabob

dabob

Bob Morris Foxpro Field Staff

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sporting Clays, Trap and Skeet, Hunting and Fishing

Posted 14 February 2012 - 04:47 PM

Try Number 4 buck shot, not #4 shot through your modified choke and see how it patterns. Hevi-Shot Dead Coyote T shot patterns very tight so it may work fine out of your modified choke.The 3" Federal 1-7/8 oz of copper coated lead BBs worked great for me on coyotes for many years out of a modified choke also.

#10 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:22 PM

You can get replacement barrels for the Mossberg, with accu chokes, for less than $200. I'd just buy a new barrel instead of trying to have the exiting one reworked. Keep the fixed modified barrel for bird and bunny hunting.

Why spend $200 for a new barrel that comes with only 1 choke (almost always modified) when for less than $150 you can have a barrel that accepts choke tubes plus one quality extended choke tube of your choice (full, extra full, etc...)??? But hey, it's not my money :good: Another thing to consider before doing it yourself is what happens if you don't get them threads dead on straight!!! I am an absolute DIY guy also, but I have also learned (the extremely hard way) over the years that some things are definitely better off left to the professionals with the right equipment. Anyone can run a tap and thread something, but it does require all the right equipment to be positive the threads are straight. Even a $50 die is a high price to pay if your "new" barrel doesn't shoot to the same point as it used to. :rofl2:

#11 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,585 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 14 February 2012 - 07:04 PM

I found these posts on do it yourself barrel threading to install choke tubes. Good luck with a tap. :rofl2: But seriously after reading that I'm glad we have a very reasonable place to send them to.http://www.nevadasho...read.php?t=7719

#12 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:59 PM

.......DO NOT shoot a slug through your modified choke! Slugs should only be shot through improved cylender or open choke as they will expand any choke tighter than that. It won't take many slugs going down range before you have a useless choke on the end of the barrel.

Rifled foster type slugs are perfectly safe to fire thru a choked barrel. Folks in southern states have used them for years in regular modified and full choked bird barrels. They are hollow and smash down very easily. I have actually found that they were more accurate in my 870 when fired thru a modified choke than when used with cylinder and improved cylinder tubes.

#13 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Interests:I am a shooter first and then a hunter. I shoot competitively, most recently in the American Single Shot Association. I have also shot Cowboy action, Silhoettes,etc.. I like to build guns as a hobby.

Posted 14 February 2012 - 09:25 PM

I just found for my sons gun a used threaded barrel with three chokes, it had a little surface rust but after a good cleaning its hard to find now. It came with a vented rib and factory porting. Shipped to my door it was $65. And you have a fixed choke barrel that you could sell for around $50. So for a little cleaning and some cold blue I think I got a deal. If your not in a hurry there are good deals out there. DR

#14 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 10:18 PM

I found these posts on do it yourself barrel threading to install choke tubes. Good luck with a tap. :rofl2: But seriously after reading that I'm glad we have a very reasonable place to send them to.

AMEN!!! I got about half through that thread before I kept saying "Thanks again for steering me toward Americhoke!". $110-$160 for a kit?! And that doesn't even include 1 choke tube! Uh-Uh, not me brother. Way too much work for me, Bob can have all my business from now on :good:

#15 donkey12

donkey12

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 10:30 PM

Will a 935 mossberg barrel work on the 500 model? If so I got an extra.

#16 xjchad

xjchad

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:50 AM

Don't forget to look on ebay, they have lots of different Mossberg 500 barrels.

Thanks, just look and there are a lot! I'm gonna keep my eyes peeled for the right deal.

Try Number 4 buck shot, not #4 shot through your modified choke and see how it patterns. Hevi-Shot Dead Coyote T shot patterns very tight so it may work fine out of your modified choke.The 3" Federal 1-7/8 oz of copper coated lead BBs worked great for me on coyotes for many years out of a modified choke also.

Sorry I meant number 4 buck not shot. Are the copper coated BBs leagal in the no lead zone?

Another thing to consider before doing it yourself is what happens if you don't get them threads dead on straight!!! I am an absolute DIY guy also, but I have also learned (the extremely hard way) over the years that some things are definitely better off left to the professionals with the right equipment. Anyone can run a tap and thread something, but it does require all the right equipment to be positive the threads are straight. Even a $50 die is a high price to pay if your "new" barrel doesn't shoot to the same point as it used to. :signlol2iu:

Ya, I try to do anything possible myself, but you're right in this case it's probably safer not to.

I found these posts on do it yourself barrel threading to install choke tubes. Good luck with a tap. :smiley_kewlpics: But seriously after reading that I'm glad we have a very reasonable place to send them to.http://www.nevadasho...read.php?t=7719

Thanks for the link, definitely a lot of work and expesive tools for a one time thing.

Rifled foster type slugs are perfectly safe to fire thru a choked barrel. Folks in southern states have used them for years in regular modified and full choked bird barrels. They are hollow and smash down very easily. I have actually found that they were more accurate in my 870 when fired thru a modified choke than when used with cylinder and improved cylinder tubes.

Thanks, I'll look into that. haven't heard of foster type slugs before, is that noted on the box?

I just found for my sons gun a used threaded barrel with three chokes, it had a little surface rust but after a good cleaning its hard to find now. It came with a vented rib and factory porting. Shipped to my door it was $65. And you have a fixed choke barrel that you could sell for around $50. So for a little cleaning and some cold blue I think I got a deal. If your not in a hurry there are good deals out there. DR

I'm hoping to find a similar deal!

Will a 935 mossberg barrel work on the 500 model? If so I got an extra.

I'll try to find out, thanks!

#17 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:37 AM

I see two problems with trying to use a 935 barrel on your 500. First, its a barrel meant for an auto so even if it does fit there will be gas ports in the barrel ring but no piston to contain the pressure....might hurt if your hand got to close. Second, the 935 uses a 10 gauge bore so I doubt that it'll fit into the receiver.

#18 xjchad

xjchad

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:00 PM

I see two problems with trying to use a 935 barrel on your 500. First, its a barrel meant for an auto so even if it does fit there will be gas ports in the barrel ring but no piston to contain the pressure....might hurt if your hand got to close. Second, the 935 uses a 10 gauge bore so I doubt that it'll fit into the receiver.

Ok, thanks for the info. I'll keep shopping ebay, craigslist, gunbroker, and of course HERE :)What about slugs out of the 18.5" barrel? It has a cylinder choke.I guess the other bad thing about slugs is they will be expensive in the no lead zone right?

#19 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,804 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:29 PM

You can shoot slugs in both those barrels . But slugs are not good for coyotes . $ buck just might work real well out of that mod choke. Try T shot our that coyote stuff first to see if it works before spending money on a barrel.

#20 DirtyDave

DirtyDave

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:14 PM

PM sent

#21 xjchad

xjchad

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 12:45 PM

Ok, I'm gonna get out and pattern some different loads with the barrel as is and see how they look. In the mean time I'll keep my eyes open for something used.Thanks for all the help and advice everyone!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users