• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,184 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 21 March 2008 - 10:02 AM

Well, after much thought and finally finding a left handed gun with the features I wanted, I pulled the trigger. I have been following VarmintAir's adventure into PCP airguns with great anticipation. I've had airguns all of my shooting life. From my Daisey BB gun to my Sheridan Silver Streak to my Beeman's. But I wanted to try something a bit more powerful and refined. So this is what I purchased except in left hand. Mine is the newer upgraded version with a new much easier cocking system and a shrouded barrel to keep the noise down. It shoots from a 10 shot magazine by just pulling the side cocking lever. I've got a 4-16X40 Bushnell 4200 to try on it or one of several others to try. I did purchase a new 4500 PSI carbon fiber tank and valving to fill the gun from. So when she gets here I can't wait to take her out and see what she'll do. At least air rifle and lead pellets aren't affected by the condor lead ban. Beside they make a tin pellet too. :signs1180lq: Air Arms 410ERB Thumbhole Air RiflePosted Image

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#2 Quade

Quade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts
  • Interests:Im an art major at Folsom Lake College. So I spend a lot of my time drawing. And if I have time, I shoot then sleep. ( In that order)<br />I picked up a tattoo machine almost 2 years ago..<br />Its scary as hell, but its fun at the same time..

Posted 21 March 2008 - 10:18 AM

I saw that one... Good looking gun...I was looking at this one...http://www.crosman.c...te/listing/1395

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot. The guy who invented the other three, he was the genius.

#3 Bozsik

Bozsik

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
  • Interests:Having fun with my Wife and Kids, Hunting, Camping, Wildlife Photography, Woodworking, and Illustration.

Posted 21 March 2008 - 10:35 AM

Nice looking gun, John. Are you going to purchase a pump to fill your carbon fiber tank? How much does one cost? An electric that pumps to 4000psi might be a bit pricey.db
TALK STRAIGHT, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND KEEP THE MAGAZINE LOADED.ORANGEVALE,CA

#4 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 11:49 AM

That is a beauty. I tried to get mine with the thumbhole, but there were none in the country, and my inner 12 year old didn't want to wait. :lol: Oh well, now I have an excuse to buy another airgun. I don't even have to discuss it with the wife, she knew from the gitgo, that that's what would eventually happen. :signs1180lq: Can't wait to hear about your adventures with it. B)
VarmintAir WebsiteAirgun Hunting the California Ground SquirrelVarmintAir's Airgun Hunting BlogDevoted to the sport of responsible varmint and small game hunting with Modern Adult Airguns

#5 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 03:29 PM

I saw that one... Good looking gun...I was looking at this one...http://www.crosman.c...te/listing/1395

I'm thinking that I'm going to add one of the Discovery's to my collection. I think I'll get it in .22. Since I already have a tank I'll probably just get the gun and what ever adapter, if any, I'll need to fill from the tank. Looks like a light fun gun to walk and stalk with. Especially when the dumb young ones first come above ground. Enough power to knock the snot out of squirrels to at least 50 yards. Assuming the accuracy is there. Crosman is going to sell a ton of these. :signs1180lq:
VarmintAir WebsiteAirgun Hunting the California Ground SquirrelVarmintAir's Airgun Hunting BlogDevoted to the sport of responsible varmint and small game hunting with Modern Adult Airguns

#6 Quade

Quade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts
  • Interests:Im an art major at Folsom Lake College. So I spend a lot of my time drawing. And if I have time, I shoot then sleep. ( In that order)<br />I picked up a tattoo machine almost 2 years ago..<br />Its scary as hell, but its fun at the same time..

Posted 21 March 2008 - 03:34 PM

I'm thinking that I'm going to add one of the Discovery's to my collection. I think I'll get it in .22. Since I already have a tank I'll probably just get the gun and what ever adapter, if any, I'll need to fill from the tank. Looks like a light fun gun to walk and stalk with. Especially when the dumb young ones first come above ground. Enough power to knock the snot out of squirrels to at least 50 yards. Assuming the accuracy is there. Crosman is going to sell a ton of these. :signs1180lq:

I know this thing is great.... And it comes with the pump... under $400...This thing will be great for the rats around my house....

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot. The guy who invented the other three, he was the genius.

#7 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,184 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 03:39 PM

I don't see how anyone could go wrong for the price of that Crosman Discovery. You get everything you need in one package at a terrific price.

Time waits for no one--

#8 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 03:50 PM

I don't see how anyone could go wrong for the price of that Crosman Discovery. You get everything you need in one package at a terrific price.

Well, I just got off the phone with MAC1. I ordered it in .22. They sell it for $250 gun only. It has a male foster fitting on the fill port, and my tank has the female foster fitting, so I'm good to go. For the $250 they do a basic accuracy tune. Things like clean up the crown, and make sure it doesn't have a ten pound trigger, etc. I've got a Bushnell Legend 5X15X40 that's been looking for a home. Should make for a nice light walk around squirrel thumper. The only down side is they are backordered, with about a 3 to 4 week delivery time.I'll take it with me on a squirrel hunting trip in April. This is going to be fun. :signs1180lq:

#9 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,184 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 04:00 PM

Man that's a great deal considering they do the tuneup on it. I hate back orders. :rolleyes: My new gun will be sliding in here Wednesday In the brown truck, I can hardly wait.

Time waits for no one--

#10 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,184 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 04:15 PM

It's a .22 cal I want all of the squirrel knocking power I can squeeze out of it.

Time waits for no one--

#11 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 04:24 PM

John, I'm really excited for you. I love the looks of that thumbhole stock. The AA 410ERBSL is a primo rifle in every respect. :lol: What perfect timing, tomorrow's the first of spring and the 2008 critter whacking season is about to get underway. The body count is going to be impressive. :rolleyes:

#12 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,184 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 04:28 PM

I just got off the phone with a friend and they have a Starling infestation. Apparently an old oak tree on their property has become a Starling breeding area and they want them gone. He said their barn is covered with them in the evening. I know they can be tough after the first shot but they have to return to that tree sometime. :rolleyes:

Time waits for no one--

#13 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 06:58 PM

If there are that many it would be fun to see if you can line up some doubles and triples. Depending upon the range, if you don't need max power, you can turn the power down and get even more shots before you'll need air, and it will be even more quiet. Have to re-sight it for the new power setting but that's no big deal. It sounds like you are about to start having a quiet blast. :rolleyes:

#14 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 22 March 2008 - 09:07 AM

Way to go guys, now you've got me thinking about a new pellet gun. This sure is an expencive hobby we have.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#15 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,787 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 22 March 2008 - 09:34 AM

Now a question about the guns. Say you have one, aired up, ready to go. How long can it sit without firing? Will it hurt it to sit with the air pressure it in? Will it eventually loose pressure? I'm thinkin if I had one at my cabin, it may sit for months at a time without being used when I'm not there. Wouldn't want to do that if it is harmful to the gun. My springer I have up there, I try to remember to not let it sit for long period of times when I am gone. Just don't think it does it any good.
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#16 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,184 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 09:37 AM

An air rifle like these it is actually best to leave it charged with air. It keeps the seals working the way they're supposed to. Unlike a springer you don't want to leave a springer cocked as it damages the spring.

Time waits for no one--

#17 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,184 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 09:39 AM

Way to go guys, now you've got me thinking about a new pellet gun.

Matt the best thing about an adult airgun is that you can use it in more places than a firearm. Especially as hunting spots are getting harder and harder to find. Many smaller farms and properties don't have a problem with an air rifle.

Time waits for no one--

#18 Braz

Braz

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,787 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 22 March 2008 - 09:40 AM

So, it would actually be better for me at the cabin. It would always be ready to go, unlike the springer, which I often have to double check because I don't always remember to charge it when I get there. I like to be ready because the rabbits and squirrels some sit outside too long sometimes. I may have to look into one.
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#19 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,184 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 09:49 AM

Braz, take a look at this one. http://www.crosman.c...te/listing/1395VarmintAir is getting one to test out so when he gets it I know he'll give us a report on it. It should make a great easy to carry stalking gun and it comes with a pump or can use CO2 cartridges to charge it up. At $400 complete it's should be a great deal.

Time waits for no one--

#20 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 09:54 AM

:good:

#21 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 22 March 2008 - 10:16 AM

:good: WOW, John, that is one Gorgeous air rifle... I love the Thumbhole stock. I have one on my 204 and absolutely love it. As you say, another great advantage of an air rifle is that it can be used where regular firearms can't.What size/gr 22 cal pellets will you use & at what muzzle velocity do you believe they will travel? Geez, you really are a bad influence on me. LOL (like I need any help in that (firearm buying) area). Anyway, Congratulations John, on a very fine purchase :drinks: Frank

#22 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,204 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 12:19 PM

Nice air gun so how fast are they going . Do you use a con presser to air up the tanks? They work very well for pests you need to get rid of with out anyone knowing.

#23 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 23 March 2008 - 09:11 AM

Matt the best thing about an adult airgun is that you can use it in more places than a firearm. Especially as hunting spots are getting harder and harder to find. Many smaller farms and properties don't have a problem with an air rifle.

Since they aren't considered a "firearm" I wonder if it would be legal to shoot squirrels from the cab of a pick-up. :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#24 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,184 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 09:17 AM

As long as you're on private property without public access it wouldn't matter. :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

Time waits for no one--

#25 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,204 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 05:59 PM

how many fps on full.

#26 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,184 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 06:20 PM

I won't know for sure until I run it through the chronograph. Somewhere between 829-974 fps is what the manufacturer says. But it will vary with the pellet being used. A lighter pellet as well as the NEW tin pellets will be faster than a heavy lead pellet. But it's not affected by the lead ban.

Time waits for no one--

#27 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,184 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 02:33 PM

Well my NEW adult air rifle arrived today along with the NEW air tank and fittings.Attached File  New_airgun.jpg   122.2KB   38 downloadsI'll try and get it unpacked later tonight or tomorrow if I get the chance. My dad had more chest pains today so he's back in the hospital and I had to have a pet put down today. So maybe tomorrow will be a better day.

Time waits for no one--

#28 Braz

Braz

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,787 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 06:16 PM

Sorry to hear about you Dad, hope all goes well with him. And putting a pet down is always a problem. Unless it's a chicken, and then it just tastes good. :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:
Handmade Calls by Braz

#29 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,184 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 08:04 PM

Well I finally broke open the boxes tonight and was pleasantly surprised by my discovery. When I ordered it they said I think you're really going to like this gun. I guess I didn't get his meaning until I opened the gun case and got a look at the wood on the stock. :harhar1[1]: What a pretty piece of wood.Attached File  DSC_0001.jpg   59.46KB   41 downloadsAttached File  DSC_0004.jpg   55.44KB   43 downloads

Time waits for no one--

#30 Braz

Braz

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,787 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 09:06 PM

Wow, that is a pretty piece of wood. Got some closeups? Looks like a nice fiddleback. Did it come in that case or is that something you put it in?
Handmade Calls by Braz

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users