17 replies to this topic

#1 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:34 PM

I have been playing with the 240gr SWC cast bullet a bit with 10 gr Unique. It has been shooting pretty well. I took my longest ranged animal to date with it. 130+ yds according to the rangefinder. Im sure that I was more suprised than the rabbit when he tipped over. The shot hit him in the hind quarters, and I followed up with a second shot just because. You can see the white spot in the pic center and way to the left in this pic. "Im sighted in roughly at 100 yds with the iron sights" Posted ImageHere is the pic of the rabbit. Posted ImageI know alot of us have doubts about handguns and their uses beyond 25 yds or so, But I have enjoyed trying to streatch it out to the best of My meager abilities thus far. The rabbit was taken yesterday, but today I took a squeek at 82 yds also. Its pretty fun to see what a you can do with a handgun with a little practice. Posted ImageIts fun slingin lead. Good huntin all.
“Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that require every citizen to prove they are insured... but not everyone must prove they are a citizen.”

#2 Karl

Karl

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:27 PM

That is awesome! I shot a deer at 90 yards with my Dan Wesson, they can definitely reach out there.I was using a scope though, doesn't compare to you shooting iron sights! :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:
Karl

#3 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:00 PM

Thanks Karl.. this isnt a thing that would happen everyday however. It was working out today and yesterday however. I have an original bead sight for the Ruger heading My way, and I look forwrd to see if it makes a difference for more accurate shooting. I may be lucky to hit a Bus at 10 yds next time. lol
“Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that require every citizen to prove they are insured... but not everyone must prove they are a citizen.”

#4 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,538 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:18 PM

Very nice shooting. And you are absolutely correct, most folks don't realize the potential of even an open sighted pistol. It's also that old "Aim small, hit small" theory. When you get used to hitting golf balls or shotgun shells at 25 yards or further, suddenly those "big" targets like rabbits or deer become much easier to hit. One of my favorite things to do is practice with the metal targets at 100+ yards at the local range. Great practice. I also noticed you got that longer barrel on there. They sure do shine at those distances don't they? And I gotta ask how you like the mag loads with Unique also? They seem like they would be a nice compromise between specials and full blown mags? I have not tried that yet, just Bullseye for specials, and 2400 for mags, but have been kicking around the thought of a nice in between load.

#5 donkey12

donkey12

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:23 PM

I just read about Elmer Keith shooting a deer with his 44 magnum at 600 yds. He said he was called a liar many times about that story. Four shots and two hit the deer.
Don't be stupid

#6 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:45 PM

Many years ago, I watched a guy hit a 300 yard steel target... Every time! Can't recall the size of the target, but if it was a deer, he would have hit it. So yes, hitting long range targets with certain handguns CAN be done. And that 130 yard rabbit kill is still amazing, Grant. Good Job!Bob, I totally agree on practicing on steel targets of various sizes and distance. Especially if they swing when hit. It can definitely make you a better marksman in the field IMO.

#7 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 04:48 AM

Thanks for the replies Guys.. :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: Bisley, its a 7 1/2 " barrel and I have been enjoying the Unique load. Im using 10.0 gr and right now CCI Mag Pistol primers. These are with 240 gr SWC Keith style bullets. No pressure signs, and no leading thus far.

#8 Karl

Karl

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 05:09 AM

Ornery when you are on you are on! I don't think the bus has a chance!600 yards! Something to try for! (steel, not deer)I can get six shots in a 3" group at 100 yards. The guy I bought it from had all 6 touching.I am getting better though.The 44 is an awesome round. Very capable. I have taken two deer and they both dropped in their tracks.
Karl

#9 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,165 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 21 March 2012 - 05:46 AM

I got a deer at 75 yards with a 2-8x Nikon and thought that pretty good with my Blackhawk. A rabbit at that distance is incredible with iron sights.

That is awesome! I shot a deer at 90 yards with my Dan Wesson, they can definitely reach out there.I was using a scope though, doesn't compare to you shooting iron sights! :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

I'm an airgunholic

#10 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 05:54 AM

Good shooting on the deer Karl, and Brant! I dont really hunt big game, but maybe i will try it this year. When i purchased this revolver from Braz, it also came with a scope and mounts. May have to try it as well and see how she shoots.

#11 KNOCKED UP

KNOCKED UP

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,631 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, archery,Reloading.
    Harley Davidson Motorcycles, and good people
    RETIRED

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:04 AM

I probally would have been a little doubtfull about the distance that Grant is claiming, But I have seen him shoot several bullseyes with that pistol at 100 yards. So I have no doubt that he is truthfull about this shot, and I also know that it was not just a lucky shot.I have seen how he shoots that 44Mag, and I am very impressed.Tom

Life on earth is temporary, Choose your destiny Wisely.

#12 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,538 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:10 AM

Sounds good, I'll have to give it a shot (pun intended). My buddy's go-to load is 8gr (Unique) over a 240gr LSWC, and both our pistols like it, but I still want something just a bit stouter but, not as stout as the 20gr of 2400. Thanks.Just one thing to consider about putting that scope on your pistol too, I have put them on a few but always end up removing them. You lose a L O T of the quick handling, fast sight acquisition, and ease of carry with them. They have their place, like on a deer hunt, but for just ever day packing and pest control, it's just hard to beat a good ole open sight. And you certainly don't seem to have a problem using those!

#13 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,165 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:28 AM

My deer hand loads are pretty mild with 240 gr Jacketed SP at 1300 fps. Much more and the scope can start sliding. He went about 75 ft with a broadside shot through both lungs that exited.

I'm an airgunholic

#14 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,796 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:35 PM

Sounds good, I'll have to give it a shot (pun intended). My buddy's go-to load is 8gr (Unique) over a 240gr LSWC, and both our pistols like it, but I still want something just a bit stouter but, not as stout as the 20gr of 2400. Thanks.Just one thing to consider about putting that scope on your pistol too, I have put them on a few but always end up removing them. You lose a L O T of the quick handling, fast sight acquisition, and ease of carry with them. They have their place, like on a deer hunt, but for just ever day packing and pest control, it's just hard to beat a good ole open sight. And you certainly don't seem to have a problem using those!

+1...on all of it.I think my "plinking" loads for my 44mag were 8 or 9gr Unique with a 240gr wc. I used to burn up a bunch of those from my Redhawk. I'd usually bring along a few full throttle loads to shoot as well...mainly just for practice. They are not as fun to shoot.Same with the iron sight explanation. I had scopes on both the 44mag and my 357 but pulled them off. They shoot well and you do end up with a better sight picture with the scope...but you lose alot of what a pistol is all about too me.
ProStaff - ProStaff - Field Staff - I'm very important!

#15 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:58 PM

After shooting My contender with a scope, yuou Guys are right on with your asessment of ease of carry with iron sights. The Super Redhawk does come with an interesting mounting system. The revolver has 4 half moon shaped grooves that hold the 2 mounts. The mounts have 2 screws that you can tighten with a dime if necessary. I dont know how the repeatability of removing them over and over again would work, but it is a very nice quick mounting system. Im looking forward to the bead sight however.

#16 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,833 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting ,and hog hunting with my dogs.

Posted 22 March 2012 - 05:55 AM

very nice shooting.!! Your ready to take it coyote calling.

#17 Karl

Karl

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:31 AM

For big game I use an 8" barrel with scope and for carry I use a 6" barrel with iron. Best of both worlds.
Karl

#18 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,201 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 11:15 AM

That's far grant nice job but how many rounds did you fire before you connected at that range............. :roflmao3[1]: :pot:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users