• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 27 December 2009 - 01:38 PM

Lately I've seen a few stories here and there about winchester steel shot ammo and catastrophic gun failures. This isn't one of those but something definitely went wrong with a winchester shell I touched off out in the duck blind this morning.I was swinging on a pair of teal, Bang-dead duck, Bang-cripple, went to finish off the wounded bird and all I got was a click. Looked at my gun and there is a fresh round only half way chambered and a primer cup wedged between it and the barrel extension. I've never seen that happen with a shotgun shell before! High power centerfire rifle rounds and overzealous reloads yeah but not a shotgun shell.My shooting partner saw the empty floating out in the water about twenty feet further away from my other two and rushed out to get it before it sank.Upon inspection of the spent case, the collar that holds the primer cup was still in place but the anvil was almost blown completely thru it. It is stuck in there and wont budge. I am glad that little sucker didn't make it all the way out! The primer cup is mushroomed pretty badly. The bolt face of my Maxus was blackened but otherwise the gun appeared fine and functioned flawlessly for the rest of the day.Do you guys think this was a case of an over pressure round or just a bad primer?Posted ImageHere you can see the mushroomed primer cup and the anvil protruding from the base of the spent hull.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#2 stephen722

stephen722

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 07:19 AM

it cliked with chamber not closed all the way? try to fire with with slide pulled open about 1/8 inch, it should not fire, just pull slide back far enough to clear lock, should not fire, test with out loading, have fun stephen

#3 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 28 December 2009 - 03:55 PM

it cliked with chamber not closed all the way?

Yep. My maxus will release the hammer with the bolt out of battary but the hammer wont reach the firing pin, both of my other autos do the same thing. You are right that the gun wont "fire" but they will still drop the hammer.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#4 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,244 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 08:07 PM

I never seen that happen before are you going to sent it back to the manufacturer.Most duck hunter I know shoot kent I have used kent before to I think they can't be beat for duck and goose loads.

#5 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 03:47 PM

Nah. I don't think it's worth the trouble to send them the hull. Kents are my favorite too, winchesters are useually a couple dollars per box cheaper though. Those kent shells burn really clean, which is the main reason I like them. The winchesters are a little dirty but not to bad, but the remingtons are really dirty.

#6 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,993 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 04:46 PM

If yer shotgun is a Remmi... Im sure you can get a coupon for half the value.. :smiley_turkey_gobble: :signbummer8tl: LOL J/K Be safe.. keep us posted.
“Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that require every citizen to prove they are insured... but not everyone must prove they are a citizen.”

#7 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,244 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 02:22 AM

Nah. I don't think it's worth the trouble to send them the hull. Kents are my favorite too, winchesters are useually a couple dollars per box cheaper though. Those kent shells burn really clean, which is the main reason I like them. The winchesters are a little dirty but not to bad, but the remingtons are really dirty.

Yup I found that out to kents burn clean.I did notice how bad Remington was one time after a day of pass shooting ducks My old mossberg smelled like burnt powder nasty stuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users