• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 pete

pete

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Hiking, Fishing, Construction, Water Polo, Swimming, Boat Building, Shooting.

Posted 19 April 2011 - 11:35 AM

My grandpa gave me this old shotgun he bought for protection during the Watts Riots. Its a bolt action sears model 101 with a Savage adjustable choke.All ive heard about bolt action shotguns is that they kick mercilicly. Its chamered for 12 gauge 2 3/4".Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#2 DirtyDave

DirtyDave

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 11:47 AM

I've always liked bolt action shotguns. Go shoot the thing
Hic Ego Statio

#3 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,305 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 19 April 2011 - 12:21 PM

They don't kick any worse that a single shot, double barrel or pump. Get yourself some shells and go have fun.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#4 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 01:31 PM

I have one of those chambered in both 2 3/4" and 3", lot of fun to shoot. Just wish I could find an extended mag for them as that would make it even better!Darren
Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; - Psalms 144:1
Fellow Team Savage member and Team Ruger! Semper Fidelis!
NRA Certified Instructor / Multi-state CCW Instructor

#5 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 19 April 2011 - 01:58 PM

That's a pretty cool shotgun. I've always wanted to shoot a bolt action shotgun. Looks like a winner. Let us know how it shoots!

#6 mac

mac

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 03:05 PM

That's classic! I actually have an old Sears Roebuck 12ga pump that was my grandfather's. I think it's probably at least 40yrs old. He used it for pheasant hunting while he lived in Yuba City. it finally got handed down to me several years ago and I took my first Tom with it. Funny thinking back when I was little and to get the Sears Xmas Wish Book catalogue in the mail and just going through all the toys, camping and hunting stuff!
Mac Daddy"Lock, Stock and Two Smokin' Barrels"

#7 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,790 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 19 April 2011 - 03:52 PM

And the ladies underwear section. :unsure:
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#8 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 19 April 2011 - 06:42 PM

Don't knock em until you've worn em :drinks: ........just sayin...........

#9 mac

mac

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 01:10 PM

And the ladies underwear section. :rolleyes:

how'd you know? You must've done the same! haha!
Mac Daddy"Lock, Stock and Two Smokin' Barrels"

#10 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 20 April 2011 - 04:45 PM

My dad has one like that in 20 ga.. I used it quite a bit when I was a kid. I could get off two shots at a dove and sometimes three at a crow. To bad you don't see many of those around any more. Really good guns for a beginner.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#11 Mutt

Mutt

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 04:35 AM

Had one when I was a kid in 20 gauge. Loved that old gun. ex wife took a hacksaw to it while I was out on the road lol. Enjoy it they were nice guns in the day.

If they came up with a vaccine for stupid the unemployment rate would go up - all them fine politicians would be outta work!

#12 pete

pete

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Hiking, Fishing, Construction, Water Polo, Swimming, Boat Building, Shooting.

Posted 26 April 2011 - 06:47 PM

Just wish I could find an extended mag for them as that would make it even better!Darren

I looked around for some extra mags for it and they run at about $34 per 2 round mag from Numrich. Cant even imagine what a 10 rounder would cost! For that Ill just make my own... of course now Ill have to go try...Gonna be awhile before it gets shot, my dad broke his arm when we were backpacking while crossing a river. Cant wait till quail season now though. Didnt see a sole out there and hundreds of quail, lots of deer and coyote sign and even a few fresh bear tracks! :popcorn:

#13 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,734 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 27 April 2011 - 09:52 PM

I have one just like it. Needs another stock ,mine started spitting real bad.
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#14 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 06:26 AM

Havlin Sales has stocks (including synthetics) in stock!http://www.havlinsales.com/Mine is the old Western Field Model 172 which is a rebranded 395K. Almost time to Duracoat it since it rusts really easy. It has been a safe queen for years since the barrel is so long on it and those bolt guns do kick like mules. Still it was my grandfathers shotgun so there is no way I will get rid of it.Darren
Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; - Psalms 144:1
Fellow Team Savage member and Team Ruger! Semper Fidelis!
NRA Certified Instructor / Multi-state CCW Instructor

#15 pete

pete

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 07:43 PM

Well my dad and I took the shotgun out to the indoor range in Oxnard for a quick shoot to see that its in good working order and also to shoot our two .22s, a 50 year old marlin glenfield M25 and a very old Winchester M61 pump action. Lots of fun! The shotgun kicked a little hard but I guess its just a big step from .22lr to 2 3/4" 12guage... but it was still manageable. The only problem I could really see in it is that shucking out the spent shell takes a lot of force because the rim of the shot shell rubs on the side of the receiver on the way out. I want my dads arm to heal up now so we can take it out to the hills, pattern it and shoot something besides paper and tennis balls. That place is too set up for pistols anyway, only about a 25yd range and 3ft wide lanes with tables just high enough to not be able to crouch and too low for a regular standing shot off the elbows.

#16 TonyS

TonyS

Dog's driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • Interests:Birds, deer, predators

Posted 14 May 2011 - 07:36 AM

Pete,Next time drive to Angeles shooting range. Probably closer and they not only have clays for the shotgun but you can shoot out to 600 yds. Lots more shooting opportunties.

#17 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,906 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Shooting.

Posted 14 May 2011 - 09:17 AM

Have fun with it. I had and shot one years ago. My grandpa bought it at Simpson Lane years ago when cash and a handshake was all you needed to buy a gun.
Raith Heryford's Guide Service  Salmon, Trout & Steel Head | Striper, Sturgeon & Shad | Duck & Goose HuntingYuba /Sutter Northern CaliforniaCALL 530-870-2697 or emailQuit blowing on the Fur and get to the Hide.

#18 HOG

HOG

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 01:40 PM

Had one when I was a kid in 20 gauge. Loved that old gun. ex wife took a hacksaw to it while I was out on the road lol. Enjoy it they were nice guns in the day.

My 1st shotgun was a sears, bolt in 20 and I'm a lefty. Your x was just mean.

#19 pete

pete

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 05:54 PM

Next time drive to Angeles shooting range. Probably closer and they not only have clays for the shotgun but you can shoot out to 600 yds. Lots more shooting opportunties

Been there before, did my hunter ed there, its about 45 minutes to an hour away. Oxnards only 15. I only shot it a few times, we were running out of time and just wanted to see if it shot. for clays I have a spot in the Nat'nl forest. Gonna be a lot of practice

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users