#1 Iron Worker

Iron Worker

Iron worker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • Interests:Hunting/Fishing/ Hiking

Posted 31 May 2009 - 09:19 PM

They want $125 bucks to do the work. Any one have experience with Magna-Porting?

#2 John Bishop

John Bishop

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Mountain Biking, Martial Arts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 10:10 PM

They want $125 bucks to do the work. Any one have experience with Magna-Porting?

I wouldn't do it. I've got three .44 mags, three .454 casulls, and a .480 Ruger. Two of my .454's are ported. One is Magna-Ported, the other has the Taurus porting. They were bought used and came ported. The main reason some people get ported guns is because they think porting will cut recoil. It doesn't. Porting on a handgun is not the same as a muzzle brake on a rifle. Porting on a handgun directs the gases upward. This does not reduce recoil. It does reduce muzzle rise. The amount of recoil is still the same, it's just in another direction. Some actually believe that felt recoil is harder with a ported gun, since the barrel stays down and recoil drives back into the hand. Porting also makes a handgun much louder.

#3 Iron Worker

Iron Worker

Iron worker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 04:05 AM

That's the best commentary I've received. Sounds like the best thing to do is reduce the load.

#4 John Bishop

John Bishop

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 10:29 AM

That's the best commentary I've received. Sounds like the best thing to do is reduce the load.

Yes, and then increase it (or not) as you get use to the recoil. The anaconda is a pretty heavy .44 (53 oz in 6") and handles recoil better then most others. With the heavy full lug barrel, muzzle rise is usually handled pretty well. Plus its the nicest looking 44 around. :smiley_turkey_pop_up_log: Love mineAttached File  1.jpg   26.76KB   22 downloads

#5 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fun target shooting, reloading, collecting firearms. Also enjoy scuba diving and welding. Shoot 22RF to 50bmg.

Posted 01 June 2009 - 12:02 PM

I am the other side of the coin. I shot my ruger 44mag for 15 years then had it ported. Wish I had done it 15 years sooner. My newer 44mag ruger RH and my ruger 454casull SRH are both mag-n-ported and I like them that way. Muzzle flip is reduced and I feel recoil is also. People who have shot my pistols and compared them to theirs have gone and ported their own gun. They were happy. I was never sorry for doing my guns. I see no need to do a 357 but with max loads in a 44/454 I like the gun ported. You are pretty close to me and if you want to try the guns ported you can try mine. Let me know. As far as noise. When target shooting I wear ear protection but not when hunting. I do not think you get much more noise from the ports as they are not angled back at you as many muzzle breaks are. You still have the cylinder gap and muzzle blast even without porting and that is much in a large cal rev with mag loads.

#6 John Bishop

John Bishop

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 01:48 PM

You are pretty close to me and if you want to try the guns ported you can try mine.

That's probably the best advice, since many people perceive recoil differently. And many guns handle recoil differently. On my magnums, I've basically got 3 different grip designs. With single action handguns the grip allows the gun to roll upward in your hand, making recoil less felt. On double actions, the barrel rolls upward less, and recoil comes back into your hand. And then the Bisley grip on one of my single actions is sort of a combination of both.My Ruger SRH .454 is not ported. My Freedom Arms and Taurus .454's are ported. All three guns are about the same weight (FA is lighter, but with scope about the same). I really can't tell any difference in the recoil from gun to gun. It's really something you have to experience yourself. So shooting a ported gun of similar size, weight, and design, (with the same ammo) is probably the best way to tell if you want to do the porting or not. When I was shooting heavy loads in my anaconda, I did go back to the older style grips that were narrow at the top and flared down at the bottom. This grip design allowed the recoil to roll upward, instead of straight back into the hand. In the end, I found that the more I shot my .454's, the lighter the recoil of the .44's got.Attached File  1.jpg   25.84KB   20 downloads

#7 usahunter

usahunter

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 01:43 PM

had my S/W 29 w/6 in barrel ported a couple of years ago , when hunting I can get back on target quicker, it eliminated the somewhat the upward torque to the left that I was disliking, sent it in myself , 10 day turnaround , good job, just a note about muzzle blast, I don't ever hunt with my pistol without wearing a set of inexpensive ear plugs that allow for normal conversation but help cut the damage to hearing

#8 hornethunter

hornethunter

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • Interests:I am a total gun nut . no such thing as a bad gun.Reload everything! Call coyotes year round. Huge fan of the Trusty rusty .22 hornet, but build my own wildcat rifles in my spare time . when the opportunity is presented i hunt wild pigs long range along the Canadian river where sometimes the best shot presented is 5 to 6 hundred yards .

Posted 21 August 2009 - 01:26 PM

have 2 44's that are magna ported and i think it is a positive feature . not only does it help reduce felt recoil but it also brings the value of the weapon up .. cost 125 or so and increases your value up to 400 depending on your buyer.. if you were to ever sell it .

#9 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 21 August 2009 - 02:26 PM

..........it also brings the value of the weapon up .. cost 125 or so and increases your value up to 400 depending on your buyer.. if you were to ever sell it .

Depends on the gun. A ruger redhawk or a taurus, yes. A classic like a model 29 or an anaconda, it could hurt the value.

#10 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,678 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 21 August 2009 - 02:36 PM

Dirty Harry never needed any Magna Porting. :roflmao3[1]:

#11 packhorse9

packhorse9

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Interests:pigs, turkey,varmints, 4 wheeling, motorcycles, classic cars. target shooting,

Posted 21 August 2009 - 03:42 PM

I have had 3 done by mag-na-port 2 s&w 629s, 1 629 I had ported scoped, complete action tune-up and sling swivels installed all at m.n.p. after the work it was worth every penny that was put into it,, it increased the value and also the buyer appeal, I also ported my lone eagle 10" 444 marlin, it hurt to shoot the 444 more then a dozen times at 1 sitting now with the weight of a scope and porting its like shooting a 44 mag. My 2 cents on a hunting hand gun it does make for a faster follow up shot, and unless its a collector's item increases the value also M.N.P. does excellent work the sling swivels they welded or soldered ( not sure which) on the barrel of the 629 looked factory they matched the finish and color of the stainless perfectly

#12 handgun

handgun

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Interests:Guns and Dogs

Posted 21 August 2009 - 05:36 PM

Dirty Harry never needed any Magna Porting. :roflmao3[1]:

"...Most powerful handgun in the world. Do ya feel lucky, punk?"I wasn't going there but SJ started it.

#13 Iron Worker

Iron Worker

Iron worker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 05:45 PM

"...Most powerful handgun in the world. Do ya feel lucky, punk?"I wasn't going there but SJ started it.

Well do ya ?

#14 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fun target shooting, reloading, collecting firearms. Also enjoy scuba diving and welding. Shoot 22RF to 50bmg.

Posted 21 August 2009 - 09:07 PM

Dirty Harry used blanks................

#15 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 22 August 2009 - 11:37 AM

Dirty Harry used blanks................

How dare you!!! I suppose you're gonna try and tell us that John Wayne couldn't knock out a bad guy with one punch either!

#16 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 11:44 AM

Of course he did. :g-hog-poppin-up-ani:

#17 Stan

Stan

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 08:37 PM

Dirty Harry never needed any Magna Porting. :g-hog-poppin-up-ani:

He was a Pussy he shot 44 Special!John have you had the pleasure of shooting the Smith 4 in Alloy full house factory Man can it kick but a Sweet Gun hope to own one somedayOn single action I had a Super Black Hawk 44 when I was 18 hated the roll of the grip so went to bigger wood then to Pachmayr no more twist and return to target much fasterOnly 1 time did I regret late reloading one night instead of 5 gr of Bullseye 250 gr Hard Cast Keith dumped 10 gr :lol: that load removed skin from my hand :lol:

#18 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,678 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 09:03 PM

I test fired a 2in Model 29 that was custom made for Elmer Keith himself. It wasn't not Magna-ported either.

#19 Stan

Stan

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 09:26 PM

And what was the load 2400 and a 250KT?What was the first word from you after pulling the trigger? And the Concussion that was felt by your friend next to you Priceless :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

#20 Yodel Dog

Yodel Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Interests:Guns and hunting, fishing when I can.

Posted 22 August 2009 - 10:10 PM

And what was the load 2400 and a 250KT?

21grs if I remember right.

#21 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,678 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 09:28 AM

Actually Elmer used 22grs of 2400 with his 250gr Keith style lead bullet. But nowadays 20.5 to 21grs is all that is recommended. The blast and flash from that gun is awesome! But now that S&W has the 500 I'm sure it's pales in comparison. :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: Elmer was a very nice guy. Some say you like him or hate him.

#22 Iron Worker

Iron Worker

Iron worker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 04:39 PM

Do you have a guess at muzzle velocity? Out of a 2" BBL and knowing 2400 is a relatively slow burner.

#23 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,678 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 06:50 PM

Not a clue, but it made a really big fire ball!

#24 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,839 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 18 September 2009 - 09:09 AM

How dare you!!! I suppose you're gonna try and tell us that John Wayne couldn't knock out a bad guy with one punch either!

John boy from the waltons was a bigger man than John Wayn! John wayn was a draft dodging wuss and cheated on his wife and left his kids. :flag: Now outlaw Josei Wells was a cool guy.

#25 Guest_dan223_*

Guest_dan223_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 September 2009 - 09:17 AM

For my two cents consider a grip change. I have found that while one grip on my 44 Mag will actually hurt my wrist that another will be completely comfortable. trouble is you can spend the same amount of money on a quality grip as you are speaking of for the porting........ Decisions Decisions :flag:

#26 Iron Worker

Iron Worker

Iron worker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 04:32 PM

Well once again I discovered more rocks in my head. I found the original pycmeyer grips.I put those back on and problem solved.I don't know why I ever took them off.

#27 jkshunt

jkshunt

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 05:12 PM

Magna-port is a very reputable, quality company. Outstanding work and good turn around times ( depending on when you send in your gun ) I have numerous "magnums' that are ported and all of them have a dramatically reduced muzzle rise, and as some have mentioned, a noticeable/perceived reduction in felt recoil.Are you going to use the pistol for hunting, self defense, target, etc..? Long or short barrel? Most all the guides I know up in Alaska have their back-up side arm Magna-ported. This is for obvious reasons...they absolulely need to have that heavy kicker back on target real quick! I use insanely heavy loads for most of my hunting handguns and have really appreciated the muzzle control I get from having these cannons Magna-ported.Dans suggestion of looking into changinging grips is also spot on. What a difference having the right grips makes! You can't go wrong porting a magnum, just know it's not always a cure-all and does have its own liabilities, ie, noise, possibly affecting gun value...Good luck

#28 Iron Worker

Iron Worker

Iron worker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 06:08 PM

8"Colt Anaconda I re-installed the pyacmeyer rubber grips. I'm very happy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users