#1 Iron Worker

Iron Worker

Iron worker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • Interests:Hunting/Fishing/ Hiking

Posted 12 August 2009 - 08:58 PM

So Burris,Leupold and Weaver make hand gun scopes. I want to bang a gong at 100+yds with it. Maybe even shoot a coyote?

#2 packhorse9

packhorse9

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Interests:pigs, turkey,varmints, 4 wheeling, motorcycles, classic cars. target shooting,

Posted 13 August 2009 - 03:27 AM

Leupold have used them on 30/30 & 223 contender, 2 diff. 44s and on my lone eagle .444 no issues, if it can stand up to the .444 nothing you can hold onto will hurt it. IMHO

#3 John Bishop

John Bishop

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Mountain Biking, Martial Arts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 12:26 PM

What he said. I've had a couple scopes that didn't make the cut on my .454 Casull, but my Leupold seems to be indestructible.
John Bishop, Commissioner
San Bernardino County Fish & Game Commission
Member: N.R.A., C.R.P.A., W.E.G.C., Calguns Foundation Supporter

#4 Iron Worker

Iron Worker

Iron worker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • Interests:Hunting/Fishing/ Hiking

Posted 13 August 2009 - 06:22 PM

So is it thumbs down on Weaver and Burris ?

#5 John Bishop

John Bishop

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 12:15 AM

Don't know about Burris. The weaver and simmons one's I tried both broke the cross hairs. I had a Nikon that worked out well also.

#6 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fun target shooting, reloading, collecting firearms. Also enjoy scuba diving and welding. Shoot 22RF to 50bmg.

Posted 15 August 2009 - 06:40 PM

Hands down a Leupold 2X. That is what I have on my 454 after trying others. Also have Leupolds(2x and 4X on several encore pistol barrels. Have one burris on an encore barrel and it is doing well. Tried a 4X and a variable on the 454 but settled on the 2X.You are welcome to come and try mine and that may help you decide.

#7 handgun

handgun

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Interests:Guns and Dogs

Posted 16 August 2009 - 08:34 AM

packhorse, what model Leopold did you use on your 30/30. I have an older Marlin that I wanted to put back into action.

#8 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,785 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 16 August 2009 - 11:17 AM

For long range the Burris 3-12X works well for me. At 3X you have fairly fast acquisition & at 12X you can take ground squirrels at 200 yds. I haven't tried it on a big hammer but they do stand behind their warranty. On another site handgun people report using the 3-12X Burris on handguns like the 358 JDJ, 25-06, 260, 7-08 and such with no problems.You will have to practice to get used to the 12X but, you can always turn it down.:signgreatreport3kg:

Guns only have three enemies, Politicians, Ignorant Liberals and Rust.

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

#9 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,292 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 16 August 2009 - 11:28 AM

I have several Burris Short Mag 4.5-14X scopes on several of my Contender barrels. This one is on .223AI barrel. I like them a lot and haven't had a problem with any.Posted ImageHere is an older Leupold on a .44mag Contender. It's hard to beat Leupold for a true pistol scope.Posted Image

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#10 packhorse9

packhorse9

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Interests:pigs, turkey,varmints, 4 wheeling, motorcycles, classic cars. target shooting,

Posted 16 August 2009 - 11:33 AM

packhorse, what model Leopold did you use on your 30/30. I have an older Marlin that I wanted to put back into action.

( All these are pistols) FX 2.5 power is the scope I used on the 10" 30-30, 8 3/4" 44s and 10" 444 on my contender 223 I used a 2.5 x 7" if I remember correctly. I shot my first boar and my only mountain lion with that 30-30 contender, I use leopold on all my hunting pistols and rifles, but use less expensive scopes on the squirrel and small varmit guns I have 3 mueller avp 4.5 x 14 that i have been real happy with so far.. I have a bushnell on my wifes browning 308 lever action that has been a good scope and performed well for about 10 years now..

#11 handgun

handgun

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Interests:Guns and Dogs

Posted 16 August 2009 - 04:10 PM

Thank you packhorse. As I was going throught some boxes today I found the Bushnell mounts. I know the scope is long gone but its good to hear that you have had good luck with yours. Thank you guys for letting me butt in with a rifle question.

#12 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 16 August 2009 - 05:32 PM

I've been happy with my bushnell 2-6 X 32. It's held zero better than any of my rifle scopes.Posted Image3 shots @ 50yds..............6 shots @ 100yds
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#13 Jeff213

Jeff213

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 05:24 PM

I have a nikon monarch 2.5-8 adjustable mag scope on my encore .223 and I LOVE IT. I got the scope for about $220 on ebay, and it is far superior to the other scopes in the same price range. The scope is very clear, even for shooting at 25 yards, and I can see a 200 yard target no problem as well (my best 200 yard group with the encore was 2 inches off a bipod, but its still a pistol.

#14 John Bishop

John Bishop

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 06:03 PM

Really like the small size and durability of the Leupold 2XPosted ImagePosted Image

#15 jkshunt

jkshunt

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 05:26 PM

Leupold on the fixed powers. Never had a problem especially with the "hand cannons." Burris makes outstanding variables and with enough magnification in some models for the guy who wants a scope to shoot varmints to big game.My Burris variables have withstood MANY years of JDJ's SSK "Hand Cannons" on my Contenders with zero problems!Believe it or not, Simmons actually made a variable some time back that stood up to cannon abuse and many handgun hunting writers actually recommended these for the "budget minded" shooter. ( I stuck with the more reputable brands and have not been disappointed)Just my .02's

#16 ForesthillHunter

ForesthillHunter

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Interests:Everything Outdoors, camping, fishing, hunting, riding my quad, 4 wheeling! I just love it!

Posted 21 September 2009 - 07:44 PM

Check out Nikon's line of pistol scopes. They have the encore BDC reticle. (Ballstic Drop Compensation) you will be ringing a gong out to 300 and 400 yards depending on the caliber. Definately worth checking out. I got their optic catalog next to me. They come in lustre, matte, silver and camo. The web site is www.nikonsportoptics.com. Hope you find one that suites you. Got any questions send a message my way and I can help you out. -Jeremy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users