Photo

Record BlackTail Buck 4th largest in the state :)

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 13 November 2008 - 07:36 PM

Attached File  HankMooreMagBuck.jpg   85.25KB   148 downloads Scanned from the California Game&Fish magazine..Remember last year that big ole buck with the antlers laid back like an elk?? I think I posted Pictures of it on here when I got done mounting it..Well few months ago the owner ran into me at Walmart and said they scored his buck and it took the 4th state record!! And today at Walmart I saw the magazine and grabbed it thinking I might find some info on his buck... Sure enough on the cover was 170-inch BlackTail Hank Moore's Bruiser Buck.....And the right up was on page 33... Anyhow.. Ya Im bragging... I mounted that bugger... And yes it was a big one LOL....too bad there wasnt any comment about who mounted it but oh well Its neat to see it in the magazine.. And I know Hank is just bouncing of the walls seeing it in the magazine too LOL... IM surprised he didnt buy them all up LOL...

#2 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 07:45 PM

Very Nice. :smiley_turkey_pop_up_log:

#3 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 13 November 2008 - 09:00 PM

Here is a better pic of it.... Its AWESOME.. Attached File  Hankbuck.jpg   34.58KB   89 downloads

#4 Beretta

Beretta

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing and camping. <br />NRA lifetime member, Ducks<br />Unlimited member and 8 year <br />member of the River Ranch Hunt Club.

Posted 13 November 2008 - 09:05 PM

I am jealous!!!Wish that was in my Living Room... :smiley_turkey_pop_up_log:

#5 Ed Lacy

Ed Lacy

Predator

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Interests:Family, hunting, fishing, motorcycles, reloading.

Posted 13 November 2008 - 09:43 PM

Too bad they didn't have you do the mounts at BPS. This looks a WHOLE lot better than anything they have. Good work.

#6 sum-rifle

sum-rifle

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 09:51 PM

I saw a photo Tuesday night at the Kern County Sportsman's Dinner of a Buck killed last month in D8 by a 15 year old. It was very similar! Huge Fantastic Monster are some words that come to mind.

#7 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, fishing, four wheeling, riding ATV's, camping, and the various ECV activities...

Posted 14 November 2008 - 09:39 PM

That's a great writeup in the magazine. Besides the grammatical errors, it explains in great detail how he was roadhunting and how he shot the buck while it was standing in the middle of the road.... :smiley_kewlpics:

#8 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 09:47 PM

LMAO I caught that too... But if you go back to the beginning of the write up...it was a "logging road" so I guess that isnt considered an actual public road?

#9 sum-rifle

sum-rifle

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 10:03 AM

That's a great writeup in the magazine. Besides the grammatical errors, it explains in great detail how he was roadhunting and how he shot the buck while it was standing in the middle of the road.... :nice_need_pics:

I read nothing that indicated he was "road hunting" if you mean driving a vehicle down the road looking for animals. He may have been but there is nothing that indicates that.Now as for shooting "from, across or onto" any roadway I believe he did just that unless it is a foot trail.I am unclear what he meant by "road". If it is a "way open to the public" then he violated the law in my opinion.

#10 Old timer

Old timer

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts
  • Interests:Hunting (all types) fishing and reading all the posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 05:57 PM

We had a real nice four point walk across our yard yesterday. time I got the camera he was gone :hellohello9il:

#11 mac

mac

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 11:06 AM

nice buck!!! I keep kicking my brother in the butt about not submitting/measuring his 4x5 from '04...

#12 BOWUNTR

BOWUNTR

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 12:46 PM

Very nice buck... although it's not a Blacktail as the article says. D-5 deer are Mule deer. The author, Bill Lentz, has his own (no organization behind it) record book, which has never been published. I have no idea where he came up with his different deer species and boundaries. I'm not bagging on the deer or hunter, just giving some info. Congrats to the hunter. Ed F

#13 mac

mac

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 01:33 PM

D3-5 has both blacktail and mule deer + x-breeds. My family has examples of all :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: ...not sure if you're saying no blacktails exist in D3-5 or if you suggest the deer was a muley vs blacktail? Given Rae's background in taxidermy )+ hunting experience) I would suggest that she could tell if it was either...like you said, in any event, very nice buck!

#14 BOWUNTR

BOWUNTR

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 02:04 PM

I should have clarafied a little. I was referring to the record keeping inferences that this buck was an "Eastern Blacktail" as Lentz referred. We can argue all day long that there are Columbian Blacktail deer, Mule deer and Hybrid deer in zone D-5. The only real way to tell is with a DNA test. But, as far as record keeping is concerned (B&C, P&Y, SCI and CBH), there is a boundary line to differentiate between the different species. According to their lines, all deer in D-5 are Mule deer. Lentz has his own record keeping deal and he calls the deer "Eastern Blacktail". Again I say hats off to the hunter and buck. Ed F

#15 mac

mac

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 02:23 PM

Thanks for the clarification, and I haven't kept up with this author's work or inferences...makes me want to see how he clarifies things.Interesting to note that B&C, P&Y, SCI, etc state D5 as Mule Deer..I didn't know that. Learn something new everyday! Funny, you hunt these areas for 35years and just grew up knowing blacktails & mule deers and not Eastern Blacktails or boundary lines in a certain zone are Muleys or determined to be muleys.so I "Googled" and found this:http://www.blacktail...m/html/crbg.htm

Edited by ShooterJohn, 24 November 2008 - 02:40 PM.

#16 BOWUNTR

BOWUNTR

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 02:45 PM

Not to drag this out much longer or hijack this post, but...

California now has a record book for big game. It is entirely dedicated to recording the legal big game animals taken in California. This book covers seventeen of those animals from Western blacktail deer to exotics.

There is no book. I've talked to this guy and he says it hasn't been published yet. He told me to send hin some $$$ and he'd send me some photos. He charges $10 for each entry???

All entries must be measured according to Safari Club International standards by either a Safari Club, Boone and Crockett, or Pope and Young official measurer.

How can this be? SCI and P&Y/B&C are two different measuring systems. How accurate can this be?I know of two California (only) Big Game record books that are published. One by the California Bowmen Hunters and one by the California Deer Association. Both classify deer in D-5 as mule deer. It looks like he used Ca F&G deer zones as boundaries. I just e-mailed him to see when the "book" will be published. Ed F

#17 mac

mac

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 02:50 PM

Thanks. Yea, it now has me definitely interested. I was also looking at the CDA as well. And, "yes" it appears that hid did use DFG zones as the boundaries. Let us know what you find out...

#18 bretmoua

bretmoua

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 10:55 PM

What's the largest for the state?

#19 SuperiorSkulls

SuperiorSkulls

Plinker

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Interests:Anything outdoors as long as i have my bow or a gun :)

Posted 08 March 2009 - 06:47 PM

What's the largest for the state?

187 1/8 net typical archery killed by yours truly ;) out of D5 zone #1 archery record in Ca CBH and P&Y195 0/8 net Non typical archery D5 scored by CBH and P&Y also number 1 also killed by yours truly again ;)

#20 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 08:14 PM

187 1/8 net typical archery killed by yours truly ;) out of D5 zone #1 archery record in Ca CBH and P&Y195 0/8 net Non typical archery D5 scored by CBH and P&Y also number 1 also killed by yours truly again ;)

Congrats! Post some pics of those ;)

#21 Moe

Moe

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 06:17 AM

I've always been amazed by the blacktail deer in California. Basically a small deer that sometimes sports a huge rack. The biggest one I ever saw was near Kyburz on the way to Tahoe. I was driving in to hunt the next morning and he crossed the road in front of me. The rack was huge and I couldn't even count the points. No way I could find him the next morning.Nothing even close to that in Alaska.

#22 SuperiorSkulls

SuperiorSkulls

Plinker

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Interests:Anything outdoors as long as i have my bow or a gun :)

Posted 19 March 2009 - 05:14 PM

Congrats! Post some pics of those :)

Look at post # 21 and post #22 under the Big game hunting forum and then the Deer season forum you will see pics of both. They are scored as mule deer because of their location when killed D5 also the cape on the typical has been changed to a mule deer cape that i killed in Washington state because the california deer had the mangy summer cape and i do not like them. here is a pic of him with the summer cape.

Attached Files

#23 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 05:45 PM

Thats a beauty!

#24 mac

mac

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 09:03 AM

Lower country bucks it seems. Definitely nice...were they taken early season (local bucks?) or late season after weather set in? I know growing up we'd see some pretty big darn bucks in D3 lower country that were local bucks....hard to get access to some of the areas unless you knew the ranchers...that was even 20-30 years ago.

#25 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 09:44 AM

Look at post # 21 and post #22 under the Big game hunting forum and then the Deer season forum you will see pics of both. They are scored as mule deer because of their location when killed D5 also the cape on the typical has been changed to a mule deer cape that i killed in Washington state because the california deer had the mangy summer cape and i do not like them. here is a pic of him with the summer cape.

He's a beaut, Coleman!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users