Photo

Favorite Hunting Handgun Cartridge

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

Poll: Favorite Handgun Hunting Caliber (62 member(s) have cast votes)

What is your Favorite Straight Wall Cartridge for Deer/Pig

1. .357 Mag (4 votes [6.45%])

Percentage of vote: 6.45%

2. .357 Max (1 votes [1.61%])

Percentage of vote: 1.61%

3. .41 Mag (3 votes [4.84%])

Percentage of vote: 4.84%

4. .44 Mag (30 votes [48.39%])

Percentage of vote: 48.39%

5. .45 Colt (8 votes [12.90%])

Percentage of vote: 12.90%

6. .454 Casull (4 votes [6.45%])

Percentage of vote: 6.45%

7. Other (12 votes [19.35%])

Percentage of vote: 19.35%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Hylander

Hylander

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sports

Posted 06 October 2005 - 03:06 PM

I know there are a few other's but these seem the most traditional ones.As for me I will use my .44 Mag 7.5" or .45 Colt 5.5"Someday I may get a .357 Max

#2 NVWalt

NVWalt

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fly fishing, kitebugging, photography, astronomy, hot springing, looking at as many beautiful women as possible.

Posted 08 October 2005 - 04:49 PM

Mr Grizzly might get me, but I think Mr Pig would be sausage links.

I got to jump on the bandwagon here. I have tried a number of rounds in contenders and xp's and I think my all around fav for big game is the 30-30 contender . I carry the 221 fireball when I run the shotgun for coyotes but all I ever seem to shoot with it are jackrabbits and ground squirrels. I've shot deer with a number of 7mm's,357 and 44 but always come back to the wifes 30-30...Walt

#3 Hylander

Hylander

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sports

Posted 08 October 2005 - 07:25 PM

I think my all around fav for big game is the 30-30 contender

Doesn't Count, Not a straight wall Handgun Cartridge.Youv'e jump the curb ;) Although I have considered getting one for my Contender more than a few time's :)

#4 NVWalt

NVWalt

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fly fishing, kitebugging, photography, astronomy, hot springing, looking at as many beautiful women as possible.

Posted 09 October 2005 - 04:43 AM

Doesn't Count, Not a straight wall Handgun Cartridge.Youv'e jump the curb ;) Although I have considered getting one for my Contender more than a few time's :)

Dang, sure pays to read something first doesn't it, Dohhh. I have shot deer with the wifes Dan Wesson 44 mag and it worked pretty good and I've shot one one with my 357 contender and it killed it dead pretty well also. Is that better? Ha, Ha. Dented the rim while jumping the curb dang-it. now it steers funny and wobbles down the road.Walt

#5 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,674 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 09 October 2005 - 09:17 AM

My all time favorite is the .44 mag, I have six of them. :PWalt, I must have jumped the curb a few times as I wobble and shimmy myself! :)

#6 NVWalt

NVWalt

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 10:11 AM

My all time favorite is the .44 mag, I have six of them. :PWalt, I must have jumped the curb a few times as I wobble and shimmy myself! :)

John, Those 44 mags are a sweet round. The wife has 2 of them, her Dan Wesson,, which is incredibally accurate and a Ruger SS Silhouette she won at a shooting match. But that gun doesn't even think about being close to accurate compared to the Dan Wesson. It's just a trophey for her and collects dust. Yeah I wobble and shimmy when I walk a lot anymore myself. HaHa LOL..Walt

#7 NVWalt

NVWalt

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 12:16 PM

A wife with two 44 Mags, one for each hand?Not a favorable situation I?d like to find myself in. And apparently she?s a good shoot to boot!Do you sleep with one eye open Walt? LOL :)

You know there is more to being faithful to your wife than a lot of people think!!!! LOL Walt

#8 Kevin G

Kevin G

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 08:25 AM

Hey folks,Though I don?t hunt (per se) with my pistol, I must agree with Mark on the subject of the 10MM.I own a Glock 20PFS and it is my backup sidearm when I hunt. Double Tap ammo is VERY stout and that is what I use as well.I am taking my Glock with me this weekend . . . well actually leaving Thursday night.It will be loaded with Double Tap 200 grain FP/FMJ?s. I am actually considering loading every other round with a 200 grain XTP/JHP. I dunno.Where we hunt in the Trinities, there are lots of Black Bear. There are no Grizzly Bears. IMO: The 10 with DT will drop a Black Bear no problem. It will drop a pig as well.Now . . . if there were Grizzly Bear in those woods . . . a 44 magnum would be a better choice. I am STILL kicking tires on one of those . . . I am leaning towards a Taurus. Don?t underestimate the power of the 10MM . . . it is much more than just a man-killer.Kevin G.

#9 Kevin G

Kevin G

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 10:29 AM

I agree with that but people (most people) don't go out hunting with a 10MM as the primary hunting weapon. it's more of a last resort type weapon.

Hello Steve,I agree with your statement. It is my 'OMG' option. 10 rounds of 200 grain Hoo-Haa's fly'n out the business end with the stopping power of a 41 mag does make a VERY good 'OMG' option.If, for what ever reason: My Glock is in my hand and is being fired while I am hunting . . . something has gone WAY wrong.I believe that Ken hunts with a 10MM (revolver) from time to time as well. I am not sure what he hunts with it, but I do know he is a fan of the 10MM round.Kevin

#10 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,674 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 19 October 2005 - 11:01 AM

I've got to agree with Steve as it not being a primary hunting round. I found an interesting question raised about ammo for the 10MM and hunting. Check this out. :) 10mm and hunting

#11 Kevin G

Kevin G

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 01:07 PM

Hey guysMy 10MM is not my hunting round, it is my OMG round. My normal hunting round is a Federal Priemum 165 grain Sierra Game King outta my Savage 110 .30-06! :) With that being said, check out this link for Double Tap ammo: http://www.doubletap...talog/index.phpAgain . . . Double Tap is STOUT stuff and is CLEARLY beyond (well beyond) the normal fodder you can buy off the shelf. Kevin G.

#12 rangertmldr

rangertmldr

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 11:14 PM

Just to bring a post back from the dead for a little fun, i'd go with 5.7x28 for squeeks, 10mm for anything else. A rifle in .450 marlin or .338rum for "Mr. Grizz"....backed up with...you guessed it 10mm. 15rds at 641 ft/lbs of energy would be my choice for any animal including brown bears for a back up. Do the math, 1201 lb/ft of energy for double tap .44mag ammo out of a 6.5 inch barrel times six rounds gives you 7206 lb/ft of energy even with a longer barrel than glock. or you can have 15rds(or 16 if you have one in the pipe) of 641 lb/ft of energy for a total of 9615 lb/ft with 15 chances to hit vitals and 15 bleeding holes. Now if you use a s&w 500, your looking at 2500x5 shots for a total of 12500 lb/ft of energy out of the 8 3/8 barrel, but the numbers are actually very close if you take the glock with 16rds, and the s&w 500 out of a 5in barrel. I know energy does not necessarily equate to killing power or penetration, but don't sell the glock 20 short. As for the link above about Georgia hunting regs, double tap ammo can give you over 500lb/ft energy at 100yards. How about this for argument sake. Glock 20, with +5 extension (made by arredondo) and one in the pipe = 21 rds then use 6 in barrel for about 700 lb/ft gives you 14,700 lb/ft of bear killing power. Bullet : 230gr Wide Flat Nose Gas Check Hardcast Ballistics : 1120fps/ 641 ft./lbs. - Glock 201008fps / 519 ft lbs 100yds Glock 20

#13 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fun target shooting, reloading, collecting firearms. Also enjoy scuba diving and welding. Shoot 22RF to 50bmg.

Posted 14 March 2010 - 08:27 PM

My fav pistol round is my 44mag. My 454casull has more power but can be a handful with max loads. In my encore pistol I am partial to my 257Roberts barrel or the 308win barrel. If it is squirrels then the 223 barrel. I have shot squirrels to large black bear with the Ruger RH in 44mag.

#14 John Bishop

John Bishop

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Mountain Biking, Martial Arts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 11:47 PM

Freedom Arms .454 Casull. Contender in 6.8spc for longer range stuff.

#15 Camoghost

Camoghost

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 07:51 AM

Other...I'll take the 10mm. With Double Tap Ammo the velocities are faster then a 357 and just under 41 magnum. Think about this for a moment. The 10mm bullet has the same velocity at 100yards as a typical .45 round at the muzzle.A Glock 10mm auto is the most powerful 10 round hand cannon you can buy in kali. If you purchased mags for this gun before the ban your carrying 15 rounds. Also, the barrel can be swapped out and you can blast the wimpy .40 cal police round.And thats my fav hunting round.... 10mm :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

I did vote 44 mag because of the choices, however if I had to vote over I would pick the 10mm.. I have 2 glock 10mm’s (model 20 and 29SF) and I love them, it's my back up gun when bow hunting and it’s one of my CCW’s in other states.. And yes, I had mags before the ban! It's the most powerful semi I have ever shot and I reloaded some nasty 185 grain “grave diggers” that are hotter and more accurate than any factory round..10mm all the way +1

#16 hunting guy

hunting guy

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 02:55 PM

It may not be a traditional like a .44 mag, but I use a Glock Model 20 in 10mm. Gives you the power of a .41 mag with a 16 round capacity... pretty accurate package, too.

#17 homemade

homemade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 07:12 PM

My Glock 20 is my CCW weapon also getting a 50GI upper for it soon.

#18 rangertmldr

rangertmldr

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 10:30 AM

Would love to hear a report on the .50GI when you get it. Keep us posted

#19 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 16 March 2010 - 12:36 PM

I don't hunt with handguns other than squirrels but if I did I would want to use my old Ruger Blackhawk in 44 Magnum. It' reliable and has a lot of punch. Ammo is pretty common and available even during the recent ammo crunch. Normally though I carry my 1911 in 45 ACP. Not as much punch but I can throw a lot of lead quickly. I usually like to shoot squirrels with it. I also enjoy shooting squirrels with 38 specials. I generally don't carry the 44 Magnum though because it is loud, kicks like a mule, and the ammo is more expensive.

#20 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 22 March 2010 - 02:02 PM

The grand old .45 Colt gets my vote. In a stout six gun it can be loaded up to and sometimes slightly beyond what you can get out of the 44.mag (my second favorite round) and it does the job with way less muzzle blast.

#21 4RHUNTS

4RHUNTS

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • Interests:Hunting for varmints, two and four legged varieties, deer, pigs, birds, reloading, and fishing.

Posted 22 March 2010 - 05:59 PM

Ditto!!

#22 sportyg

sportyg

Sportyg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts
  • Interests:Camping, Fishing, hunting, Football, playing backgammon,& music

Founder: Hunters Helping Hunters
    www.huntershelpinghuntersUSA.org
    LM:NAHC

Posted 16 May 2010 - 07:04 PM

.41 mag cause I own one... Love the way it shoots. They are a down sized .44 when all is said and done..

#23 outdoorsguy29

outdoorsguy29

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 11:32 AM

I know there are a few other's but these seem the most traditional ones.As for me I will use my .44 Mag 7.5" or .45 Colt 5.5"Someday I may get a .357 Max

Not actually had the opportunity to hunt anything. My opinions come from alot of research so take what I say with a grain of salt as it were. For self defense call me old fashsion but I like the .357 mag..lately thinking about a Glock Model 32c. For hunting deer I'm split between a .44 mag or a 454 that way I can use .45 for deer , 454 for deer and 454 w/ hard cast ammo from Buffalo Bore for bear either one with a six in. barrel,&matte stainless. That's my two cents worth such as it is. If it comes to carrying a Glock in bear country i'd be split between any caliber starting with a "4" and a 10mm.

#24 usahunter

usahunter

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 07:49 PM

lots of talk about magazine capacity 'theory is a ton of energy downrange, reality is if you're forced to use a backup gun in a life or death situation you will be lucky to get off 2 shots, hunting situation , if you have a lot of lead to throw you will be tempted or inclined to spray and pray, thats why I start all my beginning hunters with a single shot and then to a pump or bolt action

#25 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 23 May 2010 - 08:19 AM

lots of talk about magazine capacity 'theory is a ton of energy downrange, reality is if you're forced to use a backup gun in a life or death situation you will be lucky to get off 2 shots.....

I agree 100%. How many foot pounds of energy your gun can hold in unfired ammo means nothing. If it came down to a life and death experience with a big nasty animal I'd take five or six rounds of heavily loaded .44 mag or .45 Colt over 20 rounds of 9mm any day.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users