22 replies to this topic

#1 SFSMedic

SFSMedic

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 05:49 AM

What method do you guys use to get your kill back to the vehicle? If you pack it or drag it etc what equipment do you use?

#2 Old timer

Old timer

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts
  • Interests:Hunting (all types) fishing and reading all the posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 06:50 AM

Drag it by the hind feet if it a small critier if a large one I won't shoot it if I have to drag it

#3 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Shooting.

Posted 03 March 2011 - 07:10 AM

Depends on how big the game is, weather or not you are going to mount it, how many people there is with you too help, and where it is and how far it is from where you can get a vehicle. I drag it most of the time if it is not too far. I will drag a mile down hill to a road before trying to go a 1/4 mile up hill in steep country. Deer can be drug pretty easy by two guys grabbing the horns. Heavy duty Nylon dog leashes work great for dragging animals like bears and pigs. You can hook more than one leash on a big bear or pig and can hook the leash's together for more than one pull point. You will need help to drag a big animal. On a bear I use to put a leash through the bottom jaw and one around each front foot and hook as many leash's as there was guys to pull. If it is real ruff country or very far you are better off to skin and bone out the animal right where he fell and use a good back pack. A back pack is your best bet if you are alone or are just with one other person and the animal is very big at all and too far to drag. The fun is all over once you pull the trigger is what we say in our group. It takes 5 guys with packs or about 5 trips in and out on a real big bear. Just the head, hide, and paws is all one guy can carry if some one wants to make a rug out of it. He better be in good shape too. I have passed on certain game in bad country, sometimes it is not worth the effort it takes to get it out. Sometimes it is better to let it live and try to get it in better spot. Where I deer hunt, after going in so far, I will only hunt for something that will go on the wall and pass every thing else.

#4 4RHUNTS

4RHUNTS

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • Interests:Hunting for varmints, two and four legged varieties, deer, pigs, birds, reloading, and fishing.

Posted 03 March 2011 - 08:21 AM

On the really big jacks or cottontails I put the drag rope around the ears and drag them headfirst, keeps the ears from snagging on brush...... ;) ;) :653: . On big tree squirrels I quarter them out and use a good backpack, one quarter at a time. Other than this I use my hunting buddies..... :sport037fn4: :signlol2iu:

#5 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,661 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 03 March 2011 - 08:25 AM

Here is another post on carrying deer.http://www.californi...showtopic=19645Jackalopes I drag them by the antlers. :sport037fn4:

#6 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 03 March 2011 - 08:45 AM

What method do you guys use to get your kill back to the vehicle?

What "kill" are you talking about? Moose, Elk, Bear, deer, coyotes, quail, chipmunks or ??For the 1st 3, I like a pickup truck... for deer, my hunting buddies(as already mentioned). Coyotes I leave for breakfast for God's other furry or feathered creatures, unless I get a rare case of ambition & drag it back to the truck with a thin rope tied to it's hind legs; Or have my buddies carry the coyote if saving the hide, which is extremely rare for me (to save hides). The last 2, I just put in my pocket(s)... depending on many I am lucky to kill.Frank

#7 TonyS

TonyS

Dog's driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts
  • Interests:Birds, deer, predators

Posted 03 March 2011 - 10:09 AM

I just boned out the deer I took this year after skinning him. Alot easier than trying to navigate bushes and trees and rocks. Cut 'em up, put the pieces in pillow sacks, put that in the pack and hike out.

#8 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 03 March 2011 - 10:52 AM

I just boned out the deer I took this year after skinning him. Alot easier than trying to navigate bushes and trees and rocks. Cut 'em up, put the pieces in pillow sacks, put that in the pack and hike out.

EXACTLY, & is how I did it before I quit deer hunting. That is the easiest way, especially if your several miles from the truck. You used to be able to buy dvd's on deboning deer. I would always take notes while watching the dvd & take the notes with me when hunting... as I have no memory; even back then! YIKES! If not too far from the truck, it sometimes can be easier just to drag the buck by tying one end of a rope to his antlers & the other end to the middle of a stick, leaving several feet of rope between the deer's head & the stick. Two folks can drag the beast out easier this way. Frank

#9 SFSMedic

SFSMedic

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 12:21 PM

Sorry was talking deer and pig mostly. Good info!!

#10 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,833 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 03 March 2011 - 12:47 PM

On the really big jacks or cottontails I put the drag rope around the ears and drag them headfirst, keeps the ears from snagging on brush...... :653: :653: :653: . On big tree squirrels I quarter them out and use a good backpack, one quarter at a time. Other than this I use my hunting buddies..... :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: :badair0es:

Same here. But I some times use a small tractor to get the one that fall back into thier holes out.

#11 shooter_JRC_

shooter_JRC_

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:the great outdoors

Posted 03 March 2011 - 08:24 PM

we'll I haven't got my first bigame yet but i've done plenty of armed hiking, all on public land and it's always a long hike from the truck so i'm thinking of a game cart or a mule with 4 legs not wheels lol. i had a budy shoot a black bear at the bottom of a ravine up buy ruth lake after work one day and all he had was a buck fnife and hacked it in half for 2 4 hour hikes up to his truck. i hope he learned a lesson and passes on the shot next time lol.

#12 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • Interests:Hunting anything above or below the water. Kayaking, Backpacking, Scuba, Surfing, anything outdoors.

Posted 04 March 2011 - 07:21 AM

When I lived over on Catalina, I didn't have my own personal vehicle to drive into the interior of the island so most of my hunting was hiking in with a backpack. The Island has very few flat areas and is mostly deep valleys and steep ridges The majority of the deer and pigs I shot were in the 100 - 150 lbs range prior to butchering. I learned real quick to bring some rope, a sturdy metal game hanger, a box of trash bags, a colapsable bone saw, a couple of knifes and a diamond knife sharpener. After shooting the game I would try to drag it over to the nearest tree that would allow me to get it up off the ground and butcher it. If there weren't any trees as was often the case, I would cut open a trash bag or two and use them as ground cloths and buthcer the animal on that. I would take all four legs and the back strips and put them into trash bags and into my pack for the hike home. I would have to leave the ribs as they were quite bulky and would not fit into the pack very well for the amount of meat that they contained. Additionally more often than not the ribs were pretty shattered from the bullet wound. While I now have a truck to get me to my hunting areas, I still hunt from a backpack once I get there. I have since added some of items to my pack, a small 3 to 1 pulley set up, a plastic game drag that rolls up, and cotton carcass bag. In addition I now have a pack with an external frame that I can take the pack off of and strap the carcass too if it isn't to large. Hope this helps

#13 lif2fsh

lif2fsh

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 05:45 PM

Here is what i use let me know if you are interested in one,work great!Posted Image

#14 Bobcat

Bobcat

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 05:58 PM

This is what we use. A lot easier than dragging it.Attached File  1.jpg   26KB   8 downloads

#15 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 15 March 2011 - 06:44 PM

Watch for ticks... ticks dont leave the minute the animal dies.... Ive gotten the capes in days later with plenty of creepy crawlies still crawling around...A small can of outdoorsman repel will help keep them off you ....

#16 SFSMedic

SFSMedic

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 07:55 PM

Thanks CH.

#17 SFSMedic

SFSMedic

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 03:42 PM

This is what we use. A lot easier than dragging it.

That things cool!

#18 whatjeffhunts

whatjeffhunts

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 06:05 PM

I use unbleached muslin cloth and bone it out where it falls. Get a big hunting pack with large game pockets and just walk out.

#19 SFSMedic

SFSMedic

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 09:26 AM

This is the method I have chosen. I bought a Just One pack by Eberlestock which looks like it should do the trick.

#20 BrentB

BrentB

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:Bear<br />Elk<br />Turkey<br />Coyote<br />Pheasant<br />Quail<br />Moose<br />Deer<br /><br />Aside from hunting...<br /><br />Paragliding<br />Motorcycles<br />Video Editing<br />Camera Work<br />Photography<br />Car Audio Systems<br />Trucks<br /><br /><br />

Posted 03 May 2011 - 02:39 PM

I was interested in this thread because im still not sure how to haul a bear out this year. The make shift wheel barrel seems to be the ticket....great posts!!

#21 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 03 May 2011 - 05:58 PM

Well, the first thing you do is get your kill to the Blackhawk. And if the Blackhawk has a mechanical failure, you scuttle it and hop on a Chinook instead to get it to your nearby aircraft carrier.

#22 XR100

XR100

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Interests:Hand gun, smoke pole and rifle competition, varmint hunting, wood turning, electronics, cooking and baking, taking naps in the shade.

Posted 04 May 2011 - 08:40 PM

Easiest method I know of is to build a travoi at the kill site, assuming of course that you have the appropriate vegetation within reasonable distance and some cord to tie it with.Need to see how it's done? Here's a video:

#23 SFSMedic

SFSMedic

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 09:10 PM

Well, the first thing you do is get your kill to the Blackhawk. And if the Blackhawk has a mechanical failure, you scuttle it and hop on a Chinook instead to get it to your nearby aircraft carrier.

Aeromedical evac will always show if you need it. Ask me how I know, read the screen name lol.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users