• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 19 August 2012 - 04:53 PM

I decided that I would take us all out this weekend for a little refresher course before the dove opener since my dad finally came down from Inyo and hasn't fired a shotgun in months. It showed too :lol: . But not only did I take the young prospect I usually take, I took his much younger (6) brother. I was kind of worried he was going to get bored shortly since we can only shoot shotguns where I go. But much to my surprise, he wanted to learn to throw clays, did exceptionally well, and was happy doing it! :yahoo: . Want to take a wild guess who in the famiy he really wants to be when he grows up?
Posted Image

The oldest (prospect) did great, as usual. I had picked up a new to me O/U last weekend, for quail and chukar, and have been dying to pattern it and shoot it. After patterning, it was time to shoot it. I did alright at first, dusting one, and "breaking a few more. Then the prospect asks to try it. Well, 6 throws, 6 very fast shouldered and dusted hits! He hands me the gun with a (you know what) eating grin and says "Shoots good......For me". I hate him. I want to strangle him. I will never take him again. I...I...I am lying, I was as proud as an uncle can get and very proud of how quickly he has learned in less than 18 months. You really do have to see it to believe it.

I took this one of all three of them, grandpa and both grandkids, interacting and having a great time. The nephews seem to fight a lot at home, but do very well around us, so that is why I love to see pics like this where they are having fun together and getting along like best friends. Just one more great reason to keep this sport (hunting and shooting) around.
Posted Image

Before we left, grandpa (my dad) decided to see if the youngest one could handle the easier shooting Remington 1100 and some very mild reloads that I taught the oldest one with. We stood some clays up in the dirt and my dad helped him to hold it and tame the recoil with it. After the first shot, the kid was hooked. And he did so well that we got to the point in the second pic where he was holding the shotgun himself with grandpa just helping to keep the L O N G 30" barrel up. He was absorbing all the recoil and aiming all by himself for the first time ever! And he was dusting clays (not thrown of course) from 20-40 yards. Grandpa has a hard time standing these days, let alone walking, but he is still worth his weight in gold for times just like this. And all three of us could not begin to imagine leaving him at home and doing this without him, even if we get "hampered" by him being there at times like while hunting.
Posted Image
Posted Image

I wish the pics for patterning had came out better, but I can only hope you can see them clear enough to understand why it is so important for this process. I know, Posted Image , but it really is soooo true. The first pic is the Under barrel with an improved modified choke. Notice the very, very sparce pattern. That is absolutely a crippled or missed bird most of the time. The next pic is the full choke in the Over barrel. Now that's what I'm talking about. There is only one size lower in choke, but a H U G E difference in patterns. Luckily, they both shoot to POA, so no need to try new loads or wads :653: . Another reason why I wanted to do this before quail opener (the reason I bought the gun) so I have time now to buy a few aftermarket extended choke tubes and make it shoot like the second pic shows it will. Again, I can not stress enough how important it is to know how and where even your shotgun hits, and hope this helps show you why.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,017 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 05:19 PM

Sounds like a great family outing! Great Pics too!
Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that require every citizen to prove they are insured... but not everyone must prove they are a citizen.

#3 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 19 August 2012 - 07:38 PM

Great pics, Bob! And, there is definitely similarities in the family. But he may need a black hat to go with the one he's wearing. LOL

Preparation? It's "just a shotgun for crying out loud". Ain't it ? :rofl2:

:smiley-sorry: (I just gave myself the biggest guilt complex). That (shotgun remark) was sarcasm folks... in case there may be 1 (new(?) person out there taking me seriously. LOL

#4 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 09:04 PM

Thank you both, yes, it was truly a great day again. After the first pull of the trigger, he just smiled, turned his head to us and said "OK, I have to learn to read so I can get my hunting license". And then later on tonight he was in the back yard while we were talking to his mother when she saw him outside lifting (little) weights. When she asked him why, he said "Because Uncle Bobby has a big black shotgun that kicks my shoulder, so I'm going to work out so it doesn't hurt as bad" :lol: . I can already see he's got "heart" also.

I didn't notice until just now that the picture shows him with his great granddad's Winchester 1400 I have repaired to working order. Even more special. But just so you know Frank, it was not the "first" one he fired ever, that was my Remmy 1100 before that today :D . In fact, the first shotgun they both ever fired in their life was that gun (1100). I know you would approve of that kind of start B) .

Preparation? It's "just a shotgun for crying out loud". Ain't it ? :rofl2:

Oh yeah, almost forgot :roflmao3[1]: :roflmao3[1]: :roflmao3[1]:
Maybe I should cancel that order for the choke tubes I just ordered and stick with that first pattern that has more holes in it than Obama's birth certificate story :rolleyes:

#5 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:49 AM

LOL... Yeah, Bob, that (Remmy) is a most excellent start! :good: Although the 1400 would be an awesome one for the Remmy to come in 2nd place to... being their great granddads and all. A special family heirloom indeed!

Maybe I should cancel that order for the choke tubes I just ordered and stick with that first pattern that has more holes in it than Obama's birth certificate story :rolleyes:

WELLLLLLL, isn't that what (almost) "everyone" else does? :crazy: (key word being "almost"). YIKES, man, I'm being bad (still). That mad rooster I had for breakfast this morning must be acting up right now. :rofl2: I need help! :wacko:

#6 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Interests:I am a shooter first and then a hunter. I shoot competitively, most recently in the American Single Shot Association. I have also shot Cowboy action, Silhoettes,etc.. I like to build guns as a hobby.

Posted 20 August 2012 - 05:55 PM

Enjoy your dad while you can! The boys will always have those memory's too! DR

#7 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 06:39 PM

Thanks DR, and yes, we are trying to. Just found out the other weekend that he will probably have to start dialysis real soon. Not a surprise, but still a bummer none the less. This is what makes dove season so great, he can still hunt with us even being mobility impaired. My brother is the guy that runs after birds and leaves him or doesn't even take him. His loss I feel. The kids nephews and I will take all the time we can get with him while we can ;) .

#8 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,770 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 26 August 2012 - 10:55 PM

Cool stuff. Your doing a great job Bisley. :good:
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#9 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 07:48 PM

Thank you TD, and I hope you are doing much after your recent loss. Been there done hate that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users