• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 skywayman

skywayman

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and general gun fun.

Posted 13 February 2007 - 02:51 PM

Hey, the wife just gave me the green light for a new handgun. I am looking for a piece that will be good for carry, plinking, HD, and a hunting sidearm. I am trying to decide between .40 and .45. I'd like the .45 for the additional stopping power, but am drawn to the .40 for its lower ammo costs.I am favoring the Sprinfield Armory XD series.I'd appreciate your thoughts.Mike (skywayman)

#2 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 03:54 PM

.45 ACP. I like the good old fashion 1911...just fits my hand. Most people shoot them pretty good too.

#3 SpotandStalk

SpotandStalk

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and Sporting Clays.

Posted 13 February 2007 - 05:21 PM

Mike,One vote for the .40. I have the CZ 75B and use it for plinking, shooting at the range, and as a holster gun when hunting. For the price, it's tough to beat. The ammo prices for the .45 get a little tough.S&SI'm assuming you already have a 9mm...the ammo prices are much easier on the pocketbook.

#4 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,807 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 13 February 2007 - 05:21 PM

I think I would look at a 44Mag revolver. If you are going to be carrying while hunting, it is going to pick up some dirt and stuff. A revolver will go bang much more frequently than a semi under those conditions. And 44 special is a hoot to plink to with. Just my opinion.

#5 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 08:34 PM

I have a Sig P220 in .45 ACP and a S&W Sigma series SW40VE in .40. I love them both. The .45 is in my shoulder holster for hunts. The .40 is my preferred carry for anything else. Plus sometimes my daughter uses my .40 when she is only carrying the 10/22 in case something bigger comes up close. I like the .45 stopping power, but the .40 is a pleasure to shoot. Both sit in my quick access safe load with CorBon ammo with Trijicon night sites. Either one works great. Try them out and see which one you like better.Darren

#6 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, hunting and fishing.

Posted 13 February 2007 - 09:02 PM

Well I have a couple of 45s, a 40, a 44 etc.. and IMHO the all steel 45s and the 44 Mag are a pain to carry all day concealed. I used to carry everyday in another job and was issued a 1911A1, they're a lot easier to carry in a duty holster forward of the hipbone than concealed behind it. And any 44 mag light enough for carry is going to smack the heck out of you in recoil and make a lousy plinker unless you shoot 44 specials.My new carry gun is a polymer framed 4" 40 cal and I'm going to add a 3" version to that to make it even easier to carry. It's a nice plinker and self defense round but not a hunter. Just about any gun light and small enough to carry concealed is usually too light and short to hunt well. I don't think that there is one caliber or configuration that will meet all the requirements on your list.

#7 Stan

Stan

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 12:15 AM

Love my Springfield Armory P9 LSP 40 :lol:

#8 4RHUNTS

4RHUNTS

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • Interests:Hunting for varmints, two and four legged varieties, deer, pigs, birds, reloading, and fishing.

Posted 14 February 2007 - 08:51 AM

I think I would look at a 44Mag revolver. If you are going to be carrying while hunting, it is going to pick up some dirt and stuff. A revolver will go bang much more frequently than a semi under those conditions. And 44 special is a hoot to plink to with. Just my opinion.

Ditto. Another choice might be a S&W 686 .357 mag W/ 4" barrel. Easy to carry and download to 38's for plinking.

#9 skywayman

skywayman

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 03:40 PM

Thanks for all the input so far. Good food for thought.

I'm assuming you already have a 9mm...the ammo prices are much easier on the pocketbook.

Actually, I don't have a 9mm. I was seriously considering 9mm for this purchase, but all my redneck and law enforcement friends would make fun of me.

#10 4RHUNTS

4RHUNTS

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • Interests:Hunting for varmints, two and four legged varieties, deer, pigs, birds, reloading, and fishing.

Posted 14 February 2007 - 03:54 PM

Ditto. Another choice might be a S&W 686 .357 mag W/ 4" barrel. Easy to carry and download to 38's for plinking.

And thinking about this a little more, what about one of Rugers Blackhawk single action revolvers with the xtra cylinder. I have one in 45 Colt with an xtra cylinder for 45 ACP. Another is in 357 mag with a xtra 9mm cylinder.

#11 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,799 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 14 February 2007 - 07:59 PM

As I fondle my gold cup frame/remington slide/bomar sights/national match barrel 1911, I am forced to cry out, "FORTY FIVE". But only becaus I know it's best for you. :D :blink: :D

#12 Stan

Stan

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 11:57 PM

If bigger is better than why not a 50 Action Express ? :blink: Attached File  1.jpg   19.34KB   6 downloads

#13 SpotandStalk

SpotandStalk

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 02:24 AM

Actually, I don't have a 9mm. I was seriously considering 9mm for this purchase, but all my redneck and law enforcement friends would make fun of me.

skyway,That's weird...when I think of Paradise I don't think of rednecks. :D :blink: :D S&S

#14 Camoghost

Camoghost

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 08:19 AM

.45 or 44 mag for hunting! You cannot beat the stopping power of a .45, as much as a .40 lover would like to think so. I own 1 of every caliber and I don't care for my .40 at all (It's for sale!) :blink: What is most important is how each gun feels in your hand and how you shoot with it. Go to an indoor range and rent 1 of each.. I love my Sig P220 and my S/W .44 mag 6inch. Good luck

#15 skywayman

skywayman

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 08:38 AM

You guys are awesome. I've done some range time and borrowed a variety of guns and calibers.Good news is there is a gun show in Chico this weekend. We'll see how it turns out.

#16 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 09:26 AM

The Springfield XD is an over-advertised over-priced inferior copy of a Glock. I shot one of the 45's. It's accurate, light, no malfunctions. Same as a Glock. The trigger is exactly the same as a Glock. The gun feels just like a Glock. My buddy's new XD rusted on the slide though. When's the last time you heard of a Glock rusting? the XD is a Glock with some slight modifications to the appearance. and a lesser finish.

#17 coyotekiller78

coyotekiller78

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 11:21 AM

i have to agree with SN here, i did not want to say anything but, the XD is a cheap knock off of a Glock and when shot side by side the only comparison that can be made is they shoot they same ammo. my brother is getting ready to sell his 40 XD to get a glock after shooting mine. the Glock just handle better acording to us. but thats only M.H.O.

#18 SpotandStalk

SpotandStalk

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 02:36 PM

The Springfield XD is an over-advertised over-priced inferior copy of a Glock.

Now that we're being completely open and honest...and not worrying about stepping on toes or egos...I completely agree with Stiff Neck. The XD is a marketing baby and that's about it.Some people think the same thing about the difference between a Taurus and a S&W.S&S

#19 4RHUNTS

4RHUNTS

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 08:32 AM

If you are stuck on a semi-auto for use while hunting a Glock model 20 in 10mm should fit the bill nicely. More juice than the 40 S&W and the 45 ACP. And it should impress your redneck and LEO buddies :)

#20 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 09:46 AM

I have both and prefer my 45 ACP.

#21 skywayman

skywayman

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 11:39 PM

Well the Chico gun show was disappointing. Even though this thread was titled "New Handgun, .40 or .45," I have decided to go with the Springfield Armory XD-9 Subcompact. Now I just need to wait for the irritating 10-day waiting period to end.

#22 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 08:56 AM

Just curious why you chose the XD?

#23 skywayman

skywayman

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 09:40 AM

Well, let's see. Probably the main factors were feel and reliability. The grip angle and size really fits me well. I like the grip safety. Reviews on the gun show it be a very worthy and reliable piece. When I shot it at my local range, I found it be a great natural point and shoot. I like some of the extras such as the loaded chamber and striker status indicator. What can I say, those Croatians know how to build a nice gun and Springfield has a great reputation for backing it up with service. The price means that I get more gun for my money than a Glock. I actually like its appearance too--a lot of folks say it's an ugly gun, I think it just looks like a serious piece of metal and polymer. CA waiting period--The longest 10 days of your life. (8 days to go)

#24 keale73

keale73

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 07:36 PM

B) Good choice. I have a Glock 21(.45) and a 22(.40) and love both of them. I have shot the 9mm XD and it is a fun gun. I think the concealed carry factor was probably what led you to the 9mm, don't let anyone tell you that it won't stop anything. A .45 is far superior to the 9mm in power but the 9mm is lighter and cheaper to shoot :)

#25 skywayman

skywayman

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 10:40 PM

You got it, especially the cheaper to shoot. IF I can shoot it more, it will be a better carry gun.

#26 mac

mac

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 11:35 AM

I always liked my Glock .40 as a "getting started" handgun. They have now developed new laser sights with activation grips. When I rcv'd the "green light" from my wife, I picked up two - the Glock .40 and for her .380...she rarely shoots it, but my 13 yr old daughter likes to shoot it.

#27 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,197 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Fishing, Camping

Posted 01 March 2007 - 09:04 PM

So far I'm having a ball with this one............Posted Image

#28 fiveflat

fiveflat

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 01:41 PM

The only handgun I have right now is a Ruger single six convertible .22LR and .22WMR - It's better than a pocket knife.I've always wanted a beretta Tomcat .32 But do you all think that's not a good idea? I've also noticed some .25 bobcat's can be picked up for around $200!

#29 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,590 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 19 March 2007 - 01:45 PM

You be better off with a .22LR semi-auto than either of those caliber. They won't stop anything and the ammo cost to much to practice any with it. At least a .22LR semi you'd be able to pump something full of lead quickly and reasonably accurately and the ammo is cheap. JMHO

#30 Rick

Rick

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 05:15 PM

Although I'm a diehard 1911 fan, I have a Glock 35 in 40 cal. that I really enjoy carrying while hunting. I took the factory barrel off and installed a Bar-Sto barrel. I also have another drop in Bar-sto barrel in 357sig for that Glock. Factory 357 Sig ammunition is rather expensive but I hand load mine with 125 gr. JHP's that have a muzzle velocity of about 1400 f.p.s.Happy Hunting,rick

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users