• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,757 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 23 April 2011 - 09:20 PM

I've been looking for sometime for something to use up at my cabin. Behind the cabin, there is approximately 100K acres of private property behind locked gates that I have access to. I wanted to get something to use back there other than my regular truck. It is too nice to be beating around on back roads. I was really thinking of getting a jeep, or maybe a toyota tundra, or a suzuki samari, or.... well, you get the idea. This weekend one of my neighbors was having a yard sale and he had this 2002 Polaris Sportsman for sale. It only had 469 miles and 64 hours so it was like brand new. I just decided that with the good price he was selling it for and the condition, I just couldn't resist. So, here is my new hunting vehicle. I've not had one before so I'm looking forward to the learning curve and getting some accessories for it. Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#2 Yateswell

Yateswell

Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 09:35 PM

Nice rig, all you need is a rifle rack.

#3 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 24 April 2011 - 05:41 AM

Yeah, that'll be great. Did it come with the trailer or did you already have one? Also, is it very loud?

#4 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,889 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 05:46 AM

Cool hunting rig Braz! Id get used to riding it prior to strapping a rifle on it. That thing oughta get you into some hard to reach spots! Are you planning on a little camo? or leave it the same color? Great find, and good luck with the new toy!
“Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that require every citizen to prove they are insured... but not everyone must prove they are a citizen.”

#5 Braz

Braz

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,757 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 24 April 2011 - 06:49 AM

First off, I'm gonna plan on doing some serious riding before putting the rifle or my wife on it. I got a great place behind my cabin where nobody goes and there is no traffic. The property is behind locked gates. Give me a chance to get use to it. I want to find a rack for the back that will give my wife a back rest so she will go with me. And I need a basket of some sort for the front. Needless to say, I need a rack for a rifle. Nope, the trailer didn't come with it, it was one I had. And at the moment I don't plan on doing any camo on it. However, one never knows about that kind of thing. Pretty easy to do so I may.
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#6 Rob

Rob

The Varmint Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 06:50 AM

Braz...Merry Christmas :doh[1]:

#7 BPS

BPS

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts
  • Interests:Predator Calling, Squirrel Shooting, Reloading

Posted 24 April 2011 - 09:19 AM

Good score Braz.Recently I saw a front & rear baskett combo for around $100, it was either in the Cabelas Bargain Cave or the Sportsmens Guide.I'll try to locate it for you.Lee

#8 Mick17

Mick17

Varmint Hunter

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:I love shooting all types of guns and hunting. I shoot and reload for my shotgun, my .45, and my .223. I love deer hunting ,but there aren't very many deer these days. I really enjoy Coyote hunting. It's very exciting calling in a wild animal. I also try to practice with my .45's as much as I can. I am a member of the NRA and the CRPA.

Posted 24 April 2011 - 09:24 AM

BRAZ, congratulations on your new find. You'll definetly have fun with that toy.
"Life's tough-It's even tougher if your stupid"--John Wayne

#9 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 24 April 2011 - 09:53 AM

:doh[1]: Yep, they are very nice for sure... especially for what you'll be doing. Polaris is suppose to be a great one. CongratsFrank

#10 4RHUNTS

4RHUNTS

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • Interests:Hunting for varmints, two and four legged varieties, deer, pigs, birds, reloading, and fishing.

Posted 24 April 2011 - 10:14 AM

Great find Braz !! It should serve you well. But I have to ask, what is a "Toyote Tundra", a special Toyota edition just for coyote hunters ?? :doh[1]: :doh[1]: :doh[1]:

#11 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,159 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 24 April 2011 - 11:49 AM

I have a 2001 Sportsman 500 HO with over 3500 miles on it and has never needed anything but the front tires are getting a bit worn. Great crusing ATVs. You will enjoy it.

I'm an airgunholic

#12 packhorse9

packhorse9

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Interests:pigs, turkey,varmints, 4 wheeling, motorcycles, classic cars. target shooting,

Posted 24 April 2011 - 12:32 PM

First off, I'm gonna plan on doing some serious riding before putting the rifle or my wife on it. I got a great place behind my cabin where nobody goes and there is no traffic. The property is behind locked gates. Give me a chance to get use to it. I want to find a rack for the back that will give my wife a back rest so she will go with me. And I need a basket of some sort for the front. Needless to say, I need a rack for a rifle. Nope, the trailer didn't come with it, it was one I had. And at the moment I don't plan on doing any camo on it. However, one never knows about that kind of thing. Pretty easy to do so I may.

Your going to have a lot of fun, as far as camo, there was more than once I parked in the way back and was really happy to see a little spot of yellow (my yellow 79 ford truck) saved me a lot of walking more than once and 1 time when we were a few miles back in and it really started snowing im talking almost whiteout I would have walked right by it and there was no time to fool around we needed to get back to camp load up and get out while we still could, it was about 30 miles to the nearest town and we were not equipped for be strainded in the snow, I still miss that old yellow truck unless your standing next to it why would you need to camo it and you never know when you need to be helped and yellow is about as good as it gets. If you really need to hide it for some reason ?? buy a camo cover Dave,

#13 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,945 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 24 April 2011 - 07:23 PM

Nice buy Lynn. That should be perfect for what you want to do with it.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#14 Old timer

Old timer

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts
  • Interests:Hunting (all types) fishing and reading all the posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 06:45 AM

All I can say is wear a helmet! :doh[1]:
Without hunters there wouldn't be much of an environment to protect!!Conservation of Wild Life Through the Taking of Predators by Sportsmen United we stand

#15 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,344 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 25 April 2011 - 10:24 AM

Congrats, hope it runs well for you and you have many years of fun on it. We love ours. ATV's sit low enough that the the color usually isn't a factor. In shrub, you won't hardly even see it, it's not like it's six feet tall and huge like a truck. If there's no cover, well, then it wouldn't make a difference what color it is because you're going to see it no matter what. It's not like it's moving though when you make a stand. If you plan on using it for big game in the future though, I can tell you from experience that a winch can be your best friend! All the way from dragging it out of a valley, to using it to hang from a tree while cleaning/skinning, to packing it out. Good luck and always remember, the rubber side stays down on the ground.

#16 hump

hump

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 10:57 AM

if you havent thought about it yet i would suggest a nice 12 volt winch and maybe a good battery upgrade a winch can be used to pull yourself out or drag your kill up a tree to skin it or even move trees and rocks around the property .good luck and enjoy the seat time on your new toy

#17 Single Six

Single Six

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors - Shooting, hunting, wildlife, vehicles.

Posted 25 April 2011 - 02:48 PM

How noisy are they?

#18 Mutt

Mutt

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 02:53 AM

Keep the exhaust system stock they are not bad on noise. Ok a few tips I work on these things for a living even though I am retired lol gives me something to do. DO NOT leave them sitting for any length of time with fuel in the carb or you will be getting the carb cleaned out etc. keep them serviced up good. in other words check all bolts nuts lube anything that can be lubed do it on a regular aises and as I said do not leave gas in the carb. If it is going to sit for more then a couple of weeks turn off the gas run the carb dry it is a lot eaiser to pull the tank and dump and flush then cleaning the carb. I also use stabil in all my gas powered toys to help prevent serious issues from sitting. They are fun and can be great work horses for hunting just keep them up regular oil and filter changes tire pressure proper and lubed.

If they came up with a vaccine for stupid the unemployment rate would go up - all them fine politicians would be outta work!

#19 Braz

Braz

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,757 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 07:16 AM

Thanks for the tips Mutt. I planned on getting Stabil and putting it in my cans when I buy gas. That way, whenever I add to the quad, it will be there. I do that now for my lawn mower I have at the cabin. Never had a problem with it in 5 years. It starts with about the second or third pull every spring. I'm taking it in this week or next to the dealer for a complete going over. Then, I'll probably do it once a year at the dealer. A little preventive maintence goes a long way and, in my opinion, is dollars well spent.
Handmade Calls by Braz

#20 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 27 April 2011 - 08:42 PM

Lynn, get some tie downs to keep that thing legal for towing in it's trailer. It'll also give you peace of mind when traveling long distances. Definitely get yourself and the wife some helmets for those "OH S#%&" moments. Broken bones and scrapes heal but your brain won't! Have fun with it buddy!
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain

#21 Braz

Braz

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,757 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 09:20 PM

Thanks for the suggestion about the tie downs, but it is. Yep, they just don't show up in the pictures. But again, thanks for letting me know in case I didn't have them on there.
Handmade Calls by Braz

#22 Pogo

Pogo

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 07:15 AM

You did good! Those Polaris sportsmen are a good unit. That is amazing finding one with so few miles.I'll second the Stabil. We also have pumps at some of our cardlocks that have pure gas, for offroad engines only. No ethanol. The ethanol that has replaced MTBE in gas is why it causes so many problems these day. Might be Oregon only, but it is worth it if you can find it. Congrats on your purchase, you'll have a lot of fun with those things. How far is your cabin from the wind turbines up on the ridge?
"I grew up poor. It's the people who are born with money who jump out of windows."---Lee TrevinoDo NOT spread my wealth. Spread my work ethic.Four out of five politicians surveyed prefer unarmed, ignorant peasants.Many people imply, with bad jokes, that Cajuns are unintelligent; however, anyone that would build a city 10 feet below sea level in a Hurricane zone and fill it with Democrats is a genius.

#23 Braz

Braz

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,757 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 07:53 AM

I look right up at the wind turbins on the ridge. I"m about 4 miles west of the pass. That's one place I'm going to be riding my quad.
Handmade Calls by Braz

#24 Pogo

Pogo

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 08:01 AM

I always wanted to drive up to the turbines and get a close up look at them. Should be easy for you to do one your new ride. :smiley-sorry:
"I grew up poor. It's the people who are born with money who jump out of windows."---Lee TrevinoDo NOT spread my wealth. Spread my work ethic.Four out of five politicians surveyed prefer unarmed, ignorant peasants.Many people imply, with bad jokes, that Cajuns are unintelligent; however, anyone that would build a city 10 feet below sea level in a Hurricane zone and fill it with Democrats is a genius.

#25 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 08:02 AM

Nice buy, Lynn. I've got the same year, only in puke green. Paid 3K for it with 700 some odd miles in something like 80 hours. It was bought from an old farmer who used it to pull his small fertilizer trailer. The only thing that has gone wrong (and I need to find someone to do the work ASAP) is that I think the CV's have gone out (I hope that's the extent). The right front wheel binded up and locked on me at about 20 miles an hour. I was lucky I only ended up on two wheels instead of getting thrown.Since my mishap I've heard more than a few stories about the CV's going out fairly quickly on these things. Watch them.Anyway, good buy, I'm sure you'll be very happy with it.
Sacramento Skull Works ...on Facebook!
Using Dermestid beetles to produce museum quality skulls for your trophy collection.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#26 Braz

Braz

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,757 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 08:32 AM

Pogo, I've been up there in my truck. Since they finished the work the road is now open to traffic again. So, when you come buy next time, allot an hour to drive up and back to the first one. They are incredible up close and personal. Jeff, what is a CV?
Handmade Calls by Braz

#27 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 09:54 AM

CV = constant velocity. It's the axle that runs from your wheel to your differential (in your quad it runs to a yoke first then the differential).Here, wikipedia can answer it better than me.http://en.wikipedia....-velocity_joint
Sacramento Skull Works ...on Facebook!
Using Dermestid beetles to produce museum quality skulls for your trophy collection.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#28 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,945 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 10:22 AM

They complained the poison was killing the eagles and other raptors up that was so they banned the poisoning of squirrels. So they installed wind turbines to kill the birds. Sure makes allot of sense. But then PG&E is killing all of the condors and we have to shoot non lead. :smiley-sorry:

Time waits for no one--

#29 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,344 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 28 April 2011 - 11:30 AM

But then PG&E is killing all of the condors and we have to shoot non lead. :fuhrer:

You mean you don't believe that thorough, fact filled report turned into the state?! :smiley-sorry: :roflmao3[1]: :unsure: :unsure: :roflmao3[1]:

#30 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,945 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 01:04 PM

Bisley, they wouldn't lie to us would they? :roflmao3[1]: Say it isn't so. :smiley-sorry:

Time waits for no one--

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users