Photo

Taurus Raging Bull Is Being Assembled . . .

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Kevin G

Kevin G

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 12:09 PM

Howdy CPC folks,It has been a long row to hoe . . . but I *SHOULD* have the Bull up and ready tonight.I have the correct revolver, the correct scope base, the correct scope rings and my Bushnell scope.I had to mill 30 thousandths off one side of each of the base mount tabs that affix the base to the revolver as there was a tolerance stack up issue. That was completed last night and the base is mounted securely and flat to the revolver. I will need to take a chisel (or something like that) to the slot on the Burris ZEE rings as they are too tight to mount on the base. If I can open ?em up juuuuuUUUuuust a tad I will be good to go.The scope is a Bushnell Elite 3200 in 2 x 6 x 32.Everything is SS and it should look pretty nice once assembled. ;) I am hoping to get to Chabot range on Sunday and make it go BOOM! I have several loads to try and I want to get it on paper.I plan on starting at 25 yards and hopefully get to 75 yards for the final sight in.I?m pretty jazzed . . . this thing is a BEAST! I will take some photos and post them early next week along with some targets that I shot with it.Is there some form of ?break in? for a revolver I should be aware of? :rolleyes: Kevin G.

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,674 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 21 April 2006 - 12:17 PM

I will need to take a chisel (or something like that) to the slot on the Burris ZEE rings as they are too tight to mount on the base. If I can open ?em up juuuuuUUUuuust a tad I will be good to go.

A CHISEL!!! YIKES ;) Something isn't right and won't be right if you use a chisel on it. Get a different set of rings or a better base. You shouldn't have to mill anything to make anything fit. :rolleyes:

#3 Kevin G

Kevin G

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 12:24 PM

Hey Shooter,Nawwwwww . . . I am not going to chisel 'on it' . . . I need something like a chisel to open it up just a tad.I had posted my delima on Go Go Varmint and several folks had the same problem with the ZEE rings.There is a split on one side of them. I need to open it up and the rapid angle of a chisel should do the trick.I am not trying to 'cut' any metal or anything like that at all. It is soOOOoooo close now that it should only take a small rap or two and presto!!And yeah . . . this is a real pain in the Hoo Ha. I have NEVER had so much trouble mounting a scope in my life.Yes, all the parts 'n pieces are the CORRECT parts 'n pieces.After all the smoke and dust is down . . . I just wanna make it go Boom!Jeez . . . Kevin

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,674 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 21 April 2006 - 12:29 PM

Alright I'm just used to things fitting. Didn't want you to void your warranty using the GUN CHISEL! :rolleyes:

#5 Kevin G

Kevin G

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 12:45 PM

Same here Shooter, I dont' want to damage, or gall anything.It has been a real pain in the Hoo Ha.I have been round and round with Taurus and Burris. Taurus for the revolver and base, burris for the rings.All the parts are correct. The base is on the high side, the rings on the low, the revolver on the low.After milling off 30 thou on one side of the mount tabs . . . the base now fits just fine. Before it actually sat canted on the barrel/'receiver' interface. Now it sits flush.The rings are on the narrow end of the spectrum and the base on the high side. I need to open up the rings about 1/2 the thickness of a human hair. They will slide right on then.Grumble, grumble, grumble. :rolleyes: One way or another . . . I am gonna fire the sucker this weekend. ;) Kevin

#6 NVWalt

NVWalt

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fly fishing, kitebugging, photography, astronomy, hot springing, looking at as many beautiful women as possible.

Posted 21 April 2006 - 02:08 PM

Sounds like a real pain and the companies making the mounts and rings don't know what they are doing. To have to mill anything on stock items that are supposed to fit just seems like you have been had by shoddy merchandice. Hope it allworks out as far as the scope thing goes, I am sure the gun itself will go boom unless its made as lousy as the mounts then it may go KABOOM and maybe won't hit the broad side of the barn from the inside. Just reading about what you had to do to a stock item just sounds real shoddy to me...BUT, enjoy....Walt

#7 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,641 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, Fishing, Snow Skiing and RV'ing.

Posted 21 April 2006 - 03:14 PM

I've had that same problem w/Zee rings and took it to the Smith and he did pretty did much what you're talking about, forced them to open a bit by applying a great deal of leverage. I told him afterwards that heck I coulda done that but was afraid I'd screw something up.

#8 Kevin G

Kevin G

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 06:31 PM

This is the first set of Zee rings I have used.It will be my last.From what folks on Go Go Varmint told me . . . this is the morm with these rings.Sometimes they are open a little too much and one needs to take a lead faced hammer and lightly 'fit' them, others have said they are a little too narrow (my issue) and they needed to open them up just a tad.All I freak'n wanna do is assemble the firearm and shoot the sucker!I have NEVER had this much of a problem mounting optics. Never. As a matter of fact . . . I have never had a problem. Purchase the correct parts, mount them and go.I am mic'ing my revolver, my scope base and the scope rings trying to figure out why everything goes 'clunk'. I am on a first name basis with Taurus and Burris.As I type this . . . I have the ring bases next to me on my desk . . . darn things.Off to the garage now for some fine tuning adjustments.Sigh . . . whatEVER! :rolleyes: I am gonna shoot this sucker this Sunday come heck or high water!Rant mode off . . .Kevin

#9 Kevin G

Kevin G

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 07:47 PM

I don't freak'n believe it . . .After a few light taps . . . the ring bases did open up and slide on the base with no problem! Whoo-Hoo! But noooOOOOooo . . . Once I set the scope on the bases it was more than obvious that the low rings were (in fact) the WRONG rings. Well, actually the wrong height. I have a set of the low rings that were ?sposta be IT for this configuration. Wrong . . . guess again . . . The objective lens sits on the mount base and I can?t secure the forward ring top. I need the medium rings.I just got off the phone with Reed?s in San Jose; they have a set of SS (Steel-Nickel Plated) mediums with my name on ?em sitting behind the register at the moment.Sigh . . . I will go there in the morning and snag ?em . . . modify as needed and get on with life. I wanted to pick up a couple different loads for the .44 and for the 10MM anyway. Steven wants to blast away with the Glock on Sunday. Fine by me!Allrightfinethen.Man . . . this is simply beyond. It is WAY past beer o-clock. I think I will put my toys and tools away, have a beer and several shots . . . then curl up in a fetal position on wife-o?s lap and start rocking back and forth in a semi catatonic state. Perhaps I will suck my thumb and start speaking in Aramaic or something . . . I am not sure just yet.I wonder what is on the tube?The saga continues . . . Kevin

#10 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 08:01 PM

This is turning out to be quite the project! But it has to feel good to have the end in sight.

#11 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 22 April 2006 - 11:11 PM

Kevin,Keep us posted.A17Shooter

#12 Kevin G

Kevin G

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 08:03 AM

It is done.The Bull is good to go. Even with the medium rings . . . there is only a two sheet of paper clearance between the objective of the scope and the mount base. And yes . . . I had to open up this set of rings as well in order to slide on the base. Sigh . . . whatever. :lol: I snagged several 50 round boxes of ammo for the .44. I have 50 rounds of American Eagle 240 grain JHP, 50 rounds of Winchester USA 240 grain JSP, 50 rounds of Magtech 240 grain SJSP. I also have a 20 pack of Federal Premium Vital Shok in 300 grain Castcore.I had already ordered and received (a WHILE ago) from Double Tap ammo: 50 rounds of 240 grain Gold Dot SP, 50 rounds of 250 grain WFNGC Beartooth and 50 rounds of 320 grain WFN Hardcast.There is no way (AT ALL) I am going to shoot all of it, but I will try some of all of it! :lol: I did snag 100 rounds of American Eagle 180 grain FMJ for the 10MM for Steven . . . I checked my supply of Double Tap ammo and I have several duplicate boxes as well.I think we will bring the 10/22T?s as I know Steve?s scope needs to be re-sighted at 100 yards. I am going to leave my FrAnKeNmAg and my HMR at home this trip, as they are already dialed in at 100 and are good to go (though they are a hoot to shoot just the same).I will take my camera to the range today and see if I can get some photo?s in this crummy light, otherwise I will bring the targets home for photo?s and post them later this week.Anyway . . . Steven and I will be at Chabot around noon?ish or so.Time to make the hand-cannon BARK! :D Kevin

#13 jacksonrh64

jacksonrh64

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, cycling (road and mountain), motorcycles, traditional style hotrods, and dancing. Retired September 2007, after 30 plus years of working for GM.

Posted 17 February 2009 - 06:34 PM

Which Raging Bull do you have? I am thinking of getting one to hunt with, Raging Bull 44 mag 8 3/8" barrell, I was planning on using Taurus mounts. I don't understand why you are having so much trouble. Try different brands of ammo/loads to see which one it groups the best with. Run some J-B thru it before shooting it.Jack

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users