57 replies to this topic

#1 Leonten

Leonten

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 02:03 AM

Back in March a friend called me and wanted to have lunch. So I drove down to Monterey (about 35 miles away) and met her at a Black Bear Diner. During lunch the couple sitting next to us started to have an argument. I'm pretty sure he specifically told her in a public place so she wouldn't make a scene. (I'll add that I was leaving on a sheep hunt 4 days from when this happened). Stacy & I were having our own conversation when we couldn't help but pay attention to them. The argument started with the Wife saying (a bit louder than they were talking before), "You bought a new bow?" Husband, yeah" W) "Why did you buy a new bow? What's wrong with your old bow?" H) "It's the newer technology" W) "Newer technology, what's that mean?" H) "Well, its faster" W) (talking really fast) "What do you mean faster? For years you've bragged about your bow. WHAT????? Are the deer bigger or faster today than when you got your old bow? How much did it cost?" H) (here's the lie) $500.00. W) (eyes wide open) "well, it comes complete right?" H) "Er, well no". W) "No? What else do you need?" H) A new rest, sight, quiver and some new carbon arrows." W) "What??? How much is all that going to cost?" H) "About another $300.00" W) (leans back in her chair, folds her arms) "NO, take it back!!!! H) "I can't, I bought it in LA on that business trip I just took. It'll cost a hundred buck in gas." W) "Well sell it here."I leaned over and said "Excuse me, I'm looking for a new bow, what kind is it?" H) "PSE EVO." Me) "How many pounds?" H) "70" Me) "What color is it?" H) "Camo". Me) "I'm seriously interested"They gave me their address & after lunch we went over to their house. I was with him in the back yard with his new & old bow. The girls were inside the house. We didn't notice the girls come out when I said "Your old bow will be about 30 feet per second faster with carbon arrows (he had heavy aluminum arrows)" Then I offered him $300.00. He declined, but the wife was interested. At that point I realized the dozen carbon arrows I had just purchased for my hunt would need to be replaced if I bought this bow. So I mentioned the arrows were in my trunk, went out & got them & showed them to him. I told him they just cost me $125.00. Then I offered him $350.00 plus the dozen arrows. He said no, but the wife said YES. In case you didn't know, the PSE EVO was selling here for around $800.00. I immediately took the bow to the shop, had it adjusted to me, bought a new rest, some new arrows & transferred everything else from my old bow to this one. I spent the next 3 days breaking in the bow. So, 6 days after I bought the bow.............see photo.Attached File  081.JPG   77.8KB   19 downloads

#2 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,700 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 09 December 2011 - 09:26 AM

Nice sheep But wheres the bow? :roflmao3[1]: Just messing with ya. Looks like it works. :hellohello9il: :roflmao3[1]:
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#3 mtn dog

mtn dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting.
    Other interests:
    My family, writing, photography, 2nd Amendment.
    Looking forward to meeting as many of you as possible.

Posted 09 December 2011 - 09:34 AM

:hellohello9il: That is classic! I suppose you're going to send that photo to the lying husband who sold you his bow? Some guys operate under the concept "It's easier to get forgiveness than permission" but that's only true if Leonten is not sitting nearby. :roflmao3[1]:
"If we make enough laws, we can all be criminals."

#4 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,746 posts
  • Interests:I've got so many I couldn't list them all. :)

Posted 09 December 2011 - 11:35 AM

:hellohello9il: :roflmao3[1]: :roflmao3[1]: :roflmao3[1]: :roflmao3[1]: Wouldn't that be SWEEEEEET! Oh, by the way, I thought you'd like to see what I killed with your new/old bow... :roflmao3[1]: :roflmao3[1]: :roflmao3[1]:

#5 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 09 December 2011 - 01:54 PM

I feel sorry for that guy. His wife has completely imasculated him. I'm thankful my wife isn't like that.

#6 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 09 December 2011 - 02:51 PM

OMG, that is too funny... For us! We do need to be careful what we say & do about our hobbies. Many, if not most women will NEVER understand or agree. Hmmmm, then again, I often times don't even understand why I do the things I do. But I sure as hxxl ain't letting wifezilla know everything. YIKES, man, was that poor guy a young rookie or what? :hellohello9il:

#7 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,779 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, hunting and fishing.

Posted 09 December 2011 - 05:21 PM

I never tell Wifezilla when I buy a new toy.
Frank
One rifle, one planet. Holland's 375
Posted Image

#8 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • Interests:Hunting anything above or below the water. Kayaking, Backpacking, Scuba, Surfing, anything outdoors.

Posted 09 December 2011 - 09:47 PM

When I was stationed over in Catalina I worked with a guy who never told his wife about the expense claims we turned in to get reimbursed for our travel expenses. He would use his expense claim money to buy something mail order, then have it shipped to the station on the Island and have one of us bring it back to the mainland so she wouldn't see his new toy. At his retirement party where his wife was present, there was some hints droped about this practice of his that made him squirm something fierce. Apparently it went completely over her head and he walked out of there with all of his body parts still intact. Even though he has been retired for a couple of years now he still stashes some of his goodies at one of the stations to keep it under her radar.

#9 Rob

Rob

The Varmint Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 07:52 AM

Kind of a sad story...Best to hunt for an understanding supportive bride FIRST...then have a happy life together.Ain't that they way it's susposed to be? :smiley_kewlpics:

#10 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,700 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 10 December 2011 - 07:56 AM

Send that picture to him thanking him for the bow . Its the nice thing to do. Any guy that has to hide stuff from thier wife is in bad shape.
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#11 Elderberry

Elderberry

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 08:23 AM

Wifezilla?? :smiley_kewlpics: Anyway, yes it can get expensive this bow hunting stuff. But, girls spend a lot of money on their hobbies as well. Hair coloring, manicuring, pedicuring, latest style of shoes and purses, and of course a little bling. So the wife had NO right to give her husband a hard time.El

#12 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 10 December 2011 - 05:42 PM

You're not really a woman, are ya? This is all a big spoof...right? "So the wife had NO right to give her husband a hard time." I would read this to my wife but I know better.... :smiley_kewlpics:
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." Winston Churchill

#13 Elderberry

Elderberry

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 08:21 AM

Hey CADesertDog,Yes, I'm a real live woman who enjoys the bow. Just tell your wife I can see it from the husbands side because I enjoy the sport as well and know how expensive it can be.But just maybe tell her over the phone so you can dodge flying objects. :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: El

#14 fishandhunt4ever

fishandhunt4ever

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts
  • Interests:I really love hunting and fishing. I am looking forward to making friends from this web community and share information that can be helpful.

Posted 11 December 2011 - 11:26 AM

Wow, pretty sad for the guy who lied and tried to make the money not seem like so much on the bow. Man, if something happens to me and my fiancee sells all my stuff, because of what I say I buy things for, people will be getting stuff for pennies on the dollar. :smiley_kewlpics: :lol: B)

#15 mtn dog

mtn dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts
    Other interests:

Posted 11 December 2011 - 11:47 AM

I think this story should be PROOF to unmarried hunters that you really owe it to yourself (and your future family) to never get married unless it is to a woman who is equally passionate about hunting and all of your other serious interests. You are then guaranteed to have a enthusiastic partner any time you want to hunt. You are guaranteed that your children will be raised to be avid hunters. It doesn't get any better than that. The idea of lying to a spouse in order to engage in a hobby that excludes her is just stupid and cowardly on so many levels. That's almost as stupid as getting serious with the wrong woman simply because you can't get over how 'hot' she is. I won't tell you how many times I've made that mistake and regretted it. Thinking with the wrong head, etc, etc.The good news is there are lots of women who hunt AND are hot! Or maybe they seem hot because they hunt? Bottom line, liars deserve what they get.

#16 Elderberry

Elderberry

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 03:11 PM

HuntingMatch.com?????El

#17 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,201 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 12:15 PM

That's pretty cold blooded you stepping in and swiping his bow.I guess everyone is for them selves these days.

#18 mtn dog

mtn dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts
    Other interests:

Posted 13 December 2011 - 01:56 PM

That's pretty cold blooded you stepping in and swiping his bow.I guess everyone is for them selves these days.

I can't tell if you're kidding.He made the man an offer and the man refused. Then Leonten upped his offer and a deal was struck. How is that 'swiping his bow'? Leonten should have charged the fool a few hundred dollars for the important 'life lesson' he taught him about keeping his marriage strong and honest.I'm jealous I wasn't in the right place at the right time so I could have helped save his marriage! :signs1180lq: .

#19 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 13 December 2011 - 03:47 PM

Bottom line, liars deserve what they get.

That would be ALL of us then. And if not, then THAT person is lying. Each case is different. If it is a small white lie sorta speak, to save a BIG fight, as WE ALL DO, then what is wrong? If it is taking food off the table to play our game that is another story. Good luck finding a "hunting" wife, as that is almost as rare as hen's teeth. You WILL live alone!Again, each case is different... just a matter of degrees &/or how bad or serious the lie is or what it causes... or prevents.Frank

#20 WALNUTFARMER

WALNUTFARMER

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 07:22 PM

Frank I think we need to start calling you the God father your full of information hunting and or otherwise.

#21 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 09:16 PM

LOL... Thanks, Walnutfarmer... Guess I AM full of something. :smiley_kewlpics:

#22 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,201 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 03:08 AM

:two-cents:

#23 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 07:07 AM

yep... sorry you missed, or didn't like the (sick) joke, John. :two-cents: :014:

#24 Elderberry

Elderberry

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 07:55 AM

Walnut Farmer, there are plenty of women that would love to be a hunting wife....Uhmmm......I can't find a hunting guy out here. Most won't even talk to me. Something about you California boys....maybe California women have you confused about your roles.... :two-cents: Seems like they just stare at me and are scared to say anything.....what gives???

#25 WALNUTFARMER

WALNUTFARMER

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 01:50 PM

No clue. Do you really hunt?

#26 Elderberry

Elderberry

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 03:52 PM

Yes, I really hunt. Haven't made a kill came close to a hog in Lake Sonoma last year.Was hoping to get a turkey but couldn't find a hunting buddy for that this year. I don't go alone not safe for a female. So, that limit's me because some of my archery buddies are busy hunting with others or have their honeydo lists they have to take care of.A dilemma but I'll find someone someday that walks beside me as my equal. :lame:

#27 WALNUTFARMER

WALNUTFARMER

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 05:13 PM

That sucks So you mean you have not made a kill with your bow right ? Do you hunt with anything besides a bow ?

#28 Elderberry

Elderberry

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 05:47 PM

Nope just the bow. Don't like guns.I enjoy hunting even though I haven't made a kill. It's the journey not the kill that makes the memories. Just being out in the wilderness and enjoying all of it's beauty is sometimes enough.EL

#29 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,154 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 14 December 2011 - 06:29 PM

Well said El! You don't have to kill something to have a good time in the field.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#30 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,165 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 15 December 2011 - 07:04 AM

My wife always asks that accessories question. " What else does it need?"

I'm an airgunholic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users