• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 jacobpaschall

jacobpaschall

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Interests:Interested in all things to do with accurate rifles. Use to competition benchrest shoot (NBRSA). Avid varmint hunter and handloader. Have all kinds of varmint guns, from facotry to fully custom.

Posted 12 December 2007 - 12:10 PM

I was thinnking about getting a handheld GPS for my hunting adventrues. I've never used one or even really played with one for that matter. Basically what I want to do is look at maps and coordinates and be able to punch them into the GPS so I know when I'm on public land and when I'm on private land. I also would like to wonder aimlessly through the forest and not worry about getting lost. Can these GPS's record your trail so when you want to go back to the truck you just follow the same trail on your GPS? And can you work them with the map and plug in coordinates? I don't really want to spend a forturne on one, just need it to do the things I mentioned above, if that's even possible. What is everyone using and which ones would you reccomend? Thanks for any input. What fetures do I want to make sure one has before I buy it? Aslo, do you have to pay a monthly fee or activation fee, any hidden fees or do you just buy it and use it?

#2 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 12 December 2007 - 12:25 PM

I cant remember what brand ours is, Ill have to go look, its in the shop.. But yes they can record your path as you hike or drive along, and will lead you back home.. Withen a certain amount. Get a good one, cheapy ones suck and are a waste of time. Get one that has a good backlight that is adjustable as well. For night use, some can be complicated, so play around with the display models to see which one suits you better. Also I like the ones that have the screen ABOVE the buttons so you can scroll and such without your hand being over the screen. Ours can have maps uploaded, so we put maps memory cards and then depending where we are we insert whichever memory card we need. We have alot of maps LOL.. Just remember it will not put you exactly in the same path or location. Its off a little.. Some are 10 ft, some 30 ft. But any should get you close enough so you know where you are if you get lost. No fees, just buy it and use it..
Royal Oaks TaxidermyAward Winning Taxidermist...When Quality Counts! DEER CAPES WANTED

#3 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,779 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 12 December 2007 - 12:38 PM

jacobpaschall,I just got a Garmin ETREX. It is a simple low end model that works well. It does not have the capability to load maps into the GPS but, if you are used to working with paper maps it will tell you the lat/lon within a few feet. It also stores your trail and has the backtrack function. You can also store the locations of your favorite places and how to get there. It is a good starter unit.The ETREX is the GPS that is free if you buy a Burris Fullfield 4.5-14X riflescope with the Ballistic Plex reticle. Midway and Midsouth both have this package, along with anyone else that sells Burris. Maybe this will give you an idea or two.

Guns only have three enemies, Politicians, Ignorant Liberals and Rust.

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

#4 Jared Plumlee

Jared Plumlee

Varmint Hunter

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 04:03 PM

We use the garmin rhinos because they have a built in radio...they arent worth a damn in heavy cover b.c they loose satellite reception...but out in more open areas they work really good...they have a track log that shows everywhere u went and it will put down a mark every .01 miles which is more than enough to show the route u took very accurately...they are easy to use,,,very easy to mark your truck as a way point then are very easy to navigate back to the truck with...the only flaw in them is that when ur in very rugged country as i am most of the time..they loose reception and you need to be able to walk around to get reception back for it to locate u and track u and in the places ive found myself that are very very steep and/or brushy u cant just take off walking so it can find u again...but as far as simplicity is concerned they are easy to use and operate and would do a pretty good job for the average person.

#5 goldenarrow

goldenarrow

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 04:14 PM

I also use the rhino it also shows me where my kids are when we are hunting. :(

#6 Jared Plumlee

Jared Plumlee

Varmint Hunter

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 04:20 PM

yes i forgot about that feature...if u and a buddy have garmin rhinos...they can track eachothers positions that way u know exactly where ur buddy is...

#7 jacobpaschall

jacobpaschall

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Interests:Interested in all things to do with accurate rifles. Use to competition benchrest shoot (NBRSA). Avid varmint hunter and handloader. Have all kinds of varmint guns, from facotry to fully custom.

Posted 12 December 2007 - 05:23 PM

A17,How is this one in heavier cover? Does it loose reception easily too. Sounds like it might be a good starter model.

#8 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,779 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 12 December 2007 - 07:03 PM

Just got it a couple of days ago. Haven't had it out in the field yet. However, it locks on the satellites sitting in the house. Seems like that would qualify as heavy cover. Garmin does have models that they claim have been designed for high sensitivity. Those are supposed to be for heavy cover areas. The eTrex H has this little write up.'Deep foliage, nor canyons faze these rugged handhelds with high-sensitivity GPS receivers.'Of course you don't get the H version for free with the scope, if that matters.

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

#9 Jared Plumlee

Jared Plumlee

Varmint Hunter

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 07:09 PM

my rhino will work sittin here in the house too...but up in the rugged ass canyons i find myself in that are brushed over and steep as hell with heavy heavy timber and oak it dont work to good..under normal cover it works fine...in all honesty i dont think there is any that will work in truely heavy cover..but i havent tried the new high sensitivity ones...but i would definitely like too..i just cant bring myself to coughin up the money for another one without knowing for a FACT that it will work like i need it too...i usually leave one of my extra radio tracking collars that we put on the dogs ON and in the truck just in case the GPS fails me...

#10 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,779 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 07:26 PM

If the sky is blocked by the canyon walls, you're right. The signals will get through the trees but, solid rock with mineral concentrations, not likely. The receiver has to be receiving three satellites, preferably four to get a good fix. That tracking collar in the truck sounds like a good backup system.

#11 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,152 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 13 December 2007 - 10:06 AM

I've got a couple of Lowrance hand held units and a couple for my boats that have worked well. In fact I used to carry one of the boat units in my truck because I liked the big screen. Like a big flat screen TV for my truck. But I bought a Garmin 750 nuvi for my truck the other day. I love this thing. I found it has an off road feature in it too so I have to try that out. I don't know how I ever found the grocery store before without one. It tells me where to go much nice than my wife does. :smiley-funny-post-sign: I like to take alternate routes just to hear it say recalculating!

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#12 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,779 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 10:19 AM

I've got a couple of Lowrance hand held units and a couple for my boats that have worked well. In fact I used to carry one of the boat units in my truck because I liked the big screen. Like a big flat screen TV for my truck. But I bought a Garmin 750 nuvi for my truck the other day. I love this thing. I found it has an off road feature in it too so I have to try that out. I don't know how I ever found the grocery store before without one. It tells me where to go much nice than my wife does. :smiley-funny-post-sign: I like to take alternate routes just to hear it say recalculating!

Now you're making everyone think you just wanted a new toy!

#13 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,152 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 13 December 2007 - 10:36 AM

No really the store was getting hard to find. And it has lists of new stores and places to visit already in it. Amazing!

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users