• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, fishing, four wheeling, riding ATV's, camping, and the various ECV activities...

Posted 30 October 2006 - 02:56 PM

For those of you that don't want to be in the kitchen, I've come across a GREAT little restaurant. It's called "Joy of the South". If you like cajun food, this is your place. It's located at 1031 East Bellevue Road in Atwater (look for the blue building). It's VERY down-home, and the food is excellent. There's blackened or fried catfish, blackened alligator (very tasty!), hush puppies, jambalaya (excellent!), TENDER steaks, sweet potato fries, cajun fries, fried oysters, red beans & rice, fried shrimp, fried okra, po' boy sandwiches, and many, many other things (including some pies that sound awesome, but never had enough room left over for dessert!). There's no alcohol, but the sassafras tea is delicious. Big Will is a great chef, and a very nice guy to talk to. Plus it's fun to read all the little stories/opinions/history/medical info he's inserted into the menus. It's not often I find a place to eat that I tell everyone about, but Joy of the South is a great place that relies on word-of-mouth advertising. Let me know if any of you decide to try 'em out, I have yet to find someone that didn't like this place (even took some friends of ours that moved here from New Orleans and they loved it)!*I have no affiliation with them, just thought I'd recommend a good alternative to the 15 thousand mexican restaurants we have in this area*
Oregon Hunter's Association memberE. Clampus Vitus Estanislao Chapter 58, Humbug Chapter 73, and Umpqua Joe Outpost 1859 memberIf you can't fix it with a hammer, then you've got an electrical problem.

#2 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,270 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 12:40 AM

You got that right we don't need anymore Mexican restaurants. I wouldn't mind trying that place out I use too watch a cajun cook awhile back and I always wondered what gumbo tastes like.That alligator meat sounds interesting wonder what thats like does it taste like chicken :rolleyes:

#3 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, fishing, four wheeling, riding ATV's, camping, and the various ECV activities...

Posted 16 November 2006 - 06:06 AM

Gumbo is good. It's just a soup with rice, sausage, sometimes shrimp, stewed tomatos, vegetables, and other things in it. The deli in Safeway makes a gumbo soup on certain nights of the week that isn't too bad. The gator was delicious. I wouldn't say it tasted like chicken, but I'm not sure what else I would compare it to. My wife doesn't like to try new things, and she doesn't like most seafood, but she even liked the gator.
Oregon Hunter's Association memberE. Clampus Vitus Estanislao Chapter 58, Humbug Chapter 73, and Umpqua Joe Outpost 1859 memberIf you can't fix it with a hammer, then you've got an electrical problem.

#4 MeatVapor

MeatVapor

Squirrel Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:Killing fuzzy critters.

Posted 12 January 2007 - 02:12 PM

lilwes278-I have been ther and your right it rocks, if you like that thing give Farmers Catfish House a try. Its out Beckwith Rd. in Modesto. Very similar style, and the best Hush Puppies around. They used to have live Cajun Music on fridays, so you might check that out, I used to go there with some friends in my band, and after dinner the waitress would bring us out washboards, spoons, jugs, and the like so we could jam with the band.Meat

#5 mac

mac

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 05:57 PM

I'll have to try the Farmer's Catfish House in Modesto next time I'm out there. My family's originally from Lousiana (grandparents were) and cajun food is awesome - there's a place in Dallas that whenever I go there on business I have to have at least one meal there - it's called Papadeux's -- now I on't have to go all that way to get good cajun! :)MeatVapor, I wasn't going to say anything (bite tongue) but when you said teh waitress brings out washboards...jugs...oh nevermind
Mac Daddy"Lock, Stock and Two Smokin' Barrels"

#6 MeatVapor

MeatVapor

Squirrel Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:Killing fuzzy critters.

Posted 16 January 2007 - 03:29 PM

...jugs...

:lol:

#7 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 08:46 PM

I'll have to try the Farmer's Catfish House in Modesto next time I'm out there. My family's originally from Lousiana (grandparents were) and cajun food is awesome - there's a place in Dallas that whenever I go there on business I have to have at least one meal there - it's called Papadeux's -- now I on't have to go all that way to get good cajun! :P

Don't be afraid to try this place in Atwater too. It's well worth the extra drive from Modesto. Big Will spent several years in New Orleans as an apprentice to some of the really big names in Cajun cooking (such as Emeril Lagasse and a few others). I've eaten true cajun food in both east Texas and Louisiana and the food in Atwater is about as close as you can get. Just be sure you have a big appetite when you go! :D And thanks for bringing this thread back up. Now I know where the wife and I are gonna go for dinner this weekend! B)

#8 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 11:21 AM

Didn't make it last weekend, but guess where I'm going for dinner tonight? :blink:

#9 CRITTRGITTR

CRITTRGITTR

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, upland, deer, and last but not least predator hunting. Bass fishin, trout fishin, even a little fly fishin once in a while. Anything outdoors. I also do taxidermy has been a hobby of mine since i was 12 years old

Posted 08 February 2007 - 04:47 PM

I live in Merced so Big Wills is about 15 minutes away you are very right, it is an awesome place to eat. I have been there probably 20 or so times since i finally tried it last year. Big Will is a very nice guy also very friendly. I like to do a lot of froggin in the summer. "MMMMM TASTY AMPHIBIANS" I mentioned this to Will and he told me to bring in a bunch and he will cook them for us, he said he has some good frog recipes. I love the gator though did not taste anything like i expected it to. I reccommend it to anyone. Bryan

#10 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,473 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 08 February 2007 - 10:18 PM

I like to do a lot of froggin in the summer. "MMMMM TASTY AMPHIBIANS" I mentioned this to Will and he told me to bring in a bunch and he will cook them for us, he said he has some good frog recipes.

I sure used to love frog giggin but all of the places I went when I was younger are all polluted now and aren't worth anything. Nothing like slipping along in the dark in a canoe gigging frogs and maybe an accidental muskrat. Man was that muskrat upset. :P We left the canoe and let him have it all to himself. :P

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#11 CRITTRGITTR

CRITTRGITTR

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, upland, deer, and last but not least predator hunting. Bass fishin, trout fishin, even a little fly fishin once in a while. Anything outdoors. I also do taxidermy has been a hobby of mine since i was 12 years old

Posted 09 February 2007 - 04:45 PM

Yea I have one area that produces about 20 nice big bull frogs on a good night. My Dad and Uncle used to frog the same place 20 years ago and they used to bring home gunny sacks full of them. Havent stuck a muskrat yet but i have seen them out there. The scariest was giggin a 3 foot rattler that was layin on a warm rock in the moonlight. There are lots of big gopher snakes and king snakes out there, so when we heard buzzin we were a little off guard. But we killed him and decided to call it a night. Bryan

#12 Heywood

Heywood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 09:10 PM

+1 for Papadeux's. I've eaten at the one in Houston several times while there on business as well. Deep fried gator was excellent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users