10 replies to this topic

#1 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 11:14 PM

Went out on a friends 12 foot RIB for a good 20 mile ride. My back is still sore but the dive was worth it. Vis was great, when we jumped in the water you could make out the bottom at 40 feet. The water was especially blue looking maybe be due to my new amber mask, I don't know?

I made a drop to about 40 feet over a sandy patch and started looking for halibut when I noticed something behind a strand of kelp moving slowly. I didn't see anything come out from the other side so I figured it was a figment of my imagination. I kept looking through the sand and then looked up to see a 3 foot or so diameter Pacific Electric Ray checking me out. I admired it for a little while and decided I would hunt in the opposite direction. I have heard the shock they can deliver can stop your heart. Cool looking creature to see.

Anyway my buddy was kind enough to let me borrow his RA 110 with reel for the dive as I have been curious about them. I found a nice little rock fish that I thought I should try my aim on and swam a little away from it and took the shot. Very accurate gun with a nice site picture and plenty of power compared to my Riffe E90. Soon after I shot the rock fish I went down again to find a school of some large sheephead. I lined up on the largest one pulled the trigger and realized the safety was on. Doh! I then couldn't switch it off. The sheephead left and then a few more swam by just in time as I got the safety off. I took the larger of the two and my largest to date. Then on another dive I managed another nice sheepie but not as large. Had a great time and dove some spots I have never dove before. Looking forward to getting back out there. The rain sure looks cool when your underwater.

Posted Image

#2 KNOCKED UP

KNOCKED UP

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,921 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, archery,Reloading.
    Harley Davidson Motorcycles, and good people
    RETIRED

Posted 11 November 2012 - 05:38 AM

Very nice,
sounds like a great trip.
I sure miss diving.
Tom

#3 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,676 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:01 AM

Nice Alex, that little trip seems to have peaked your interest in the sport. I hope we see many more of your fishing prizes in the future.

#4 sportyg

sportyg

Sportyg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 754 posts
  • Interests:Camping, Fishing, hunting, Football, playing backgammon,& music

Founder: Hunters Helping Hunters
    www.huntershelpinghuntersUSA.org
    LM:NAHC

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:32 AM

Great post, with some nice fish there..

#5 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:14 AM

Nice Alex, that little trip seems to have peaked your interest in the sport. I hope we see many more of your fishing prizes in the future.

Its funny I didnt even buy a hunting license this year. I have been diving almost every week since February and love it. I've seen a ton of amazing creatures underwater and taken a few for dinner too. :)

#6 zippy1970

zippy1970

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 04:47 PM

Nice Goats you got there .

You should try diving out at Platform Edith . the have huge Sheepshead out there . DCore is the Co to ask .

Andy

#7 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:47 PM

I didn't realize you could dive the platforms. I will have to look into it. Thanks. :)

#8 NaCladdict

NaCladdict

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:51 PM

Usually you can bring the plateforms up on 16 and ask for permission. You usually have to live boat them because there are a ton of snags for anchor lines, cables everywhere under there. As far as safeties go, they only favor the fish. I drilled a hole in my rob allen safety and put a zip tie through it effectively keeping it in battery the whole time, maybe you could suggest that to your friend.

#9 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,839 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:27 PM

Sounds like a cool time. Those fish look yummy. :good:

#10 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:29 AM

Usually you can bring the plateforms up on 16 and ask for permission. You usually have to live boat them because there are a ton of snags for anchor lines, cables everywhere under there. As far as safeties go, they only favor the fish. I drilled a hole in my rob allen safety and put a zip tie through it effectively keeping it in battery the whole time, maybe you could suggest that to your friend.

Thanks for the info. I will let my buddy know. I am not a fan of safeties on Spearguns either. It isn't the first time I have lost a fish due to a safety. :(

#11 64ssking

64ssking

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:49 AM

nice catch

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users