8 replies to this topic

#1 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 08:26 AM

Ok, researching equipment is fun, but I'm at a crossroads. I can't afford all the toys I want right now, but I would like to make a purchase soon. Option A is a new FX3 Foxpro. Option B is both a pair of Leupold Wind River 10x50 binos and a Bushnell Pro 800 laser rangefinder. Both options are the same price. But I can't get both. I keep changing my mind. It's like the dilema I had choosing between 223 and 22-250. It's coyote season so the caller would come in handy now while the optics would be used mostly in the spring. But I really need some binos. But I really want a Foxpro. What say you? Help me out! :rolleyes:

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 06 October 2005 - 09:00 AM

Ben, I have to agree with Steve on this one. I have last years FoxPro and have seen and heard the FX3. It's nice but I couldn't tell a big difference at the levels I run my caller. I've never had mine up that loud as it tends to scare animals. Okay, with the exception of crows that is. But I draw them in like a magnet anyway. Binos are great but again at the ranges I shoot coyotes I don't need them because they're big enough to see. Plus binos tend to get in my way and then I take them off and leave them. I've done that with my rangefinder too. Don't get a camo one, they are next to impossible to find when you come back looking for them. I hope what Steve and I've said helps?

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#3 capitol

capitol

Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 06:44 PM

I don?t use high-end binocs, but I bought a pair of Big 5 cheapies and they're decent. They fit in my jacket pocket and they focus past a few hundred yards. I can see a much wider FOV then my scope provides.My thinking was I dont want a pair of 50mm+ bells hanging around my neck with a range finder, hand caller, e-caller, cup holder on my belt and rifle slung on my shoulder while wearing a back pack as Im hiking. Too much S&*TIf you can call em in by hand I would go with the Binocs, because you will only get better at calling with the practice.On the other hand if you can?t practice calling at home or you just plain stink at it, I'd go with an FX3Btw, your always welcome to try my FX3 as long as I can come along for the ride :rolleyes:
Bullets are pretty worthless. All they do is hang around waiting to get loaded.

#4 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, Fishing, Snow Skiing and RV'ing.

Posted 06 October 2005 - 07:08 PM

Have you looked at the Bino/Range Finder units? I've got an old Bushnell Yardage Pro 800 set that used to be all I had. They still work well. $270 @RifleScopes.com Not the greatest at either but saves carrying both. dale
Life Member DU, NRA, VHA,CWA, and The OF's of America.

#5 capitol

capitol

Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 07:13 PM

Have you looked at the Bino/Range Finder units? I've got an old Bushnell Yardage Pro 800 set that used to be all I had. They still work well. $270 @RifleScopes.com Not the greatest at either but saves carrying both. dale

They run $189 hereBushnell Yardage 800

#6 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, Fishing, Snow Skiing and RV'ing.

Posted 06 October 2005 - 11:07 PM

Looked at the link and it's not the combo bino/rangefinder just the range finder that came up.
Life Member DU, NRA, VHA,CWA, and The OF's of America.

#7 Rimrock

Rimrock

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,250 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 09:13 AM

I may be different, but I don't go afield without binoculars. I recently bit the bullet and purchased Swarovski 10X42's. Wow! They are a little heavier than my old 6X30's but I really like them. T keep them out of the way I take a pieve of 1/8" shock cord that is a little shorter than my chest, serve an eye in one end and a large button on the other, fasten it around my chest and slip the binos under it. Works for me.

#8 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 10:38 AM

I'm not sure how my hand calling is. I've called in a bunch of coyotes in Nevada and Utah, a bunch close enough to hit with a slingshot. But to date I've only called in ONE in CA and that was just messing around on some guy's private property (I have no idea who's, it was on the side of the hwy, couldn't shoot). I see TONS of scat here in CA, but I just can't call them in. I've been skunked my fair share for sure. But I'm still a novice, I'm pretty new at this. I didn't get to hunt much at all last year, the one dog I killed was in NV. I tried some public land here local and no luck despite tons of scat and prints.Seems like folks with Foxpros can't help but turn it on and have coyotes jump in their lap more often than not. Therein lies the temptation. Everybody wants to have more dogs come in, that's why even experienced callers have electronic callers. They work. You get more dogs with electronic callers. I like hand calls and howling with open reed calls, but I also want to shoot more dogs. I don't plan on using binos for coyote hunting, never have so far. They're primarily for squirrels. I don't hunt deer right now, but I will eventually. Thanks for the input guys, your eperience in the field will benefit me. I'm now leaning towards the binos/rangefinder combo, and drooling over the Foxpro. By the way, since the new FX3 is CHEAPER than the older 516, might as well get the newer, better, cheaper model.

#9 capitol

capitol

Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 04:12 PM

Hey Ben,Check out the links forum. Steve posted there is a 5% discount for full members at GameCalls.net. Front page is your newFX3 for $479 minus $23.95 w/ free shipping AND free camo ;) :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users