• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 chinny33

chinny33

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • Interests:Surfing, fishing, hunting, spearfishing, God.

Posted 09 March 2010 - 11:57 AM

Ok, I would like to skin rabbits, badgers, coyotes, raccoons, foxes....I can basically skin the animal, its pretty much the same for all of them. If anyone knows any internet sites with a descriptive "how-to", that would be great.Secondly, once I have the skin off, how do I clean it without it rotting away and smelling like my dogs fecal matter. Any help would be much appreciated.

#2 yoteblaster

yoteblaster

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • Interests:Huntin' yotes, Huntin', fishin', Atv'n, Campin', shootin'Military history

Posted 09 March 2010 - 12:03 PM

http://www.thenpha.c...24656#Post24656
SEMPER FI - It means... Always Faithful! Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap - life is expensive.

#3 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 09 March 2010 - 03:25 PM

That was an excellent fur skinning video! AS for what to do to clean t off.. you need to get any flesh and membrane off, then salt dry it.. Make sure you turn the ears all the way. and then just rub the salt in really good let it drain 24 hours then shake it off do it again. Salt is an antibacterial and it will draw off fluids. so it is better than air drying. If your taking to the fur market they prefer them air dried. in which case you will want a stretcher.. AS for tanning.. Send them out to be dry tanned.
Royal Oaks TaxidermyAward Winning Taxidermist...When Quality Counts! DEER CAPES WANTED

#4 chinny33

chinny33

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • Interests:Surfing, fishing, hunting, spearfishing, God.

Posted 10 March 2010 - 08:59 AM

excellent video and im sure that transcends pretty much every single animal out there.Ok once I get the thing off and start salting it, how in the world do i preserve it indefinitely? I bought a bunch of furs from New Mexico from Native American reservations and they are amazing. They don't smell and they are incredibly soft and flexible. How do I do that? I have a difficult time imagining that salt alone will produce the same result. Yes, sending the fur out to a tanner would be the "easiest" way to go, but I'm looking for self sufficiency here people.thanks again.

#5 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,728 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 10 March 2010 - 09:10 AM

Try this site.http://aces.nmsu.edu/pubs/_l/l-103.pdf
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#6 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 10 March 2010 - 11:40 AM

I would not recommend those methods.. With modern technology and the availability of self tan kits there is no need for those type of methods. Not to mention alot of those methods are not actually TANNING the skin.. there is a huge difference between making leather, and using borax and such to preserve a skin. essentially the borax is drying the skin out and it repels bugs.. it doesn't not change the molecular structure of the skin... Get you a good home tan kit, Lutan F works fine.. Alot of people use it and like it.. though I personally do not because I wet tan which is a different method used for taxidermy..
Royal Oaks TaxidermyAward Winning Taxidermist...When Quality Counts! DEER CAPES WANTED

#7 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,653 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 10 March 2010 - 06:09 PM

I do it like the neanderthals did have the women chew on the hides to get them soft. ;) Lots of good ways to do it that work with out getting a kit . Kits take the fun out of it.
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#8 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,707 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 10 March 2010 - 06:28 PM

Yeah maybe a younger Raquel Welch could come over and do that. Oh hech she doesn't have to be younger just send Raquel over.Attached File  1.jpeg   48.44KB   38 downloads

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#9 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 07:07 AM

Somehow, I couldn't imagine Raquel Welch chewing on anything and have it get softer.
ProStaff - ProStaff - Field Staff - I'm very important!

#10 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 07:31 AM

:rolleyes:

#11 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,707 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 11 March 2010 - 08:53 AM

Ed I can always count on you for a great comeback. :wacko:

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#12 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,653 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 11 March 2010 - 06:29 PM

Somehow, I couldn't imagine Raquel Welch chewing on anything and have it get softer.

:roflmao3[1]: :roflmao3[1]: :roflmao3[1]: :roflmao3[1]: :roflmao3[1]: I knew it was a matter of time before some one said somthing.
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users