• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 BCF

BCF

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Dirtbike riding. Anything outdoors. CNC programmer by trade.

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:24 AM

We had a pretty good day yesterday fishing from kayaks at Lake Casitas. Buddy and me caught and released 14 largemouth. 6 for me. He only had 3, then I leftto get a jacket from my truck. He found a honey hole while I was gone and pulled 5 out of it. I was wondering when he'd put up some numbers. All chunky 3 pounders and a couple 1 pounders. I got mine on Ika and dropshot 3" shad curly tail robo worms. Actually just 1 on the drop shot, the others on Ika's. Buddy got his on senko's. Not bad for this time of year. It's only going to get better.All my fish were caught flipping tule's in tight at 3-6 foot depths. He got his in 20 feet of open water. Looks like they're getting ready to spawn. Casitas has always been good to me.

#2 StephLuvsHunting

StephLuvsHunting

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Camping, Hiking, Gold Panning, Beer, Fireball

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:05 AM

Nice report. I'm still new to fishing for largemouth. Matter of fact there are some big ones at my local lake, see them at least 2-3 feet of water. I was trying blue and silver Rat L traps, white trick works, and brown worms tipped with chartreuse tails but I couldn't get them to bite. How does your setup look like for worms? I put a little bullet shaped sliding weight on the tip of the hook and then attached the worm. Are the worms supposed to be on top of the water? sorry for all the newb question.

#3 Tuolumne85

Tuolumne85

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:24 AM

Put a shakey head jig on those trick worms and fish it slow. The bullet weights work good in a Carolina rig but that needs to be between 12 and 18 inches above your hook with a glass bead. But the king of pond fishing is the senko, and it's nearly fool proof. The 4" ones work best in ponds, get a couple different colors and toss one on the edge of some weeds and just let start sinking no bites after 10 seconds reel it in and do the same thing over.

#4 KNOCKED UP

KNOCKED UP

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,707 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, archery,Reloading.
    Harley Davidson Motorcycles, and good people
    RETIRED

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:28 AM

Steph,Are you refering to contra Loma resevoir?Tom

Life on earth is temporary, Choose your destiny Wisely.

#5 StephLuvsHunting

StephLuvsHunting

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:42 PM

Tuolomne- Thanks for the tips, that really helps. I'm gonna try all those out and buy a few Senkos, im determined to get my first Black Bass. Those things are whoppers!Tom - Yup, good ol Contra Loma Lake. That's where I learned to fish as a kid and developed my love for fishing. I try and go there a few times a month or more. U ever fish it? My first fish was a 4 lb Trout from there.

#6 KNOCKED UP

KNOCKED UP

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,707 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, archery,Reloading.
    Harley Davidson Motorcycles, and good people
    RETIRED

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:41 PM

Steph, I have fished Contra Loma resovoir a lot over the years, I have a friend that fishes it religiously.I have a 10ft Avon (rubber boat) that I want to put in there,And I want to buy a kyak to fish lakes.But I have got to get off of my butt and go.Tom

Life on earth is temporary, Choose your destiny Wisely.

#7 Mayhem in Carmichael

Mayhem in Carmichael

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Interests:Bowhunting, Fly fishing, camping, Nascar, NFL, Dancing :)

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:32 PM

My favorite place to fish for LMB is the Delta - normally northeast area and in and around Frank's Tract. The Umqua swimming frog [fly fishing] is absolutely irresistable to those LMB, particularly in late spring / early summer. My biggest is only about 5.75 lbs, but there have been some real whoppers come outta there! Nothin' like a topwater LMB bite :)

#8 StephLuvsHunting

StephLuvsHunting

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:11 AM

Steph, I have fished Contra Loma resovoir a lot over the years, I have a friend that fishes it religiously. I have a 10ft Avon (rubber boat) that I want to put in there, And I want to buy a kyak to fish lakes. But I have got to get off of my butt and go. Tom

That is cool Tom. I have a Seahawk 2 with Inflatable, registered and everything with trolling motor that I've been wanting to take out there. Only thing is that its a big hassle to inflate, deflate and setup lol. like u i wanna get a kayak, was looking at Hobies but kinda pricey. even a simple sit on top would do for ponds and smaller lakes.Mayhem- Thanks for sharing your spot. I wanna try Franks Tract sometime, sounds neat.

#9 StephLuvsHunting

StephLuvsHunting

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:11 AM

btw I bought some Senkos today, 5" purple with blue flakes, gonna hit up the pond after work and give it a try. wish me luck.Update: 8:16pm I bought a pack of 5" Purple with blue flaked Senkos, since Contra Loma drained out some water there are no Tullys left in the water for the fish to swim around so I just cast about 20 ft in front, waited 10 secs and then reeled in. After about an hour I had one bite which I quickly tried to set, losing the fish. Talked to a kid who said he had 11 14s, whatever that means. Anyway, also ended up losing 2 Senkos, some how they flew off my hook and one flew off with the hook. lol. Will try again in a few days.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users