• Please log in to reply
146 replies to this topic

#61 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, hunting and fishing.

Posted 12 March 2008 - 07:40 PM

Wouldn't if be a lot simpler just to have a design that requires a screw driver (or coin) to turn a half-turn cam lock to release the mag on a hunting AR? Or are we really trying to make an illegal assault rifle appear to be legal by using a bullet as a tool? Woodog

Woodog, I use a bullet because the CA DOJ wrote it specifically into the regulation that a bullet is a tool. They didn't define anything else, just a bullet. So being the cautious sort that I am, I use exactly what they wrote into the regulation.
Frank
One rifle, one planet. Holland's 375
Posted Image

#62 aquaelvis

aquaelvis

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 07:53 PM

I think you hit the nail on the head Heath. It sure would be a lot easier if the state would do their job and write laws that people can understand. (can't be that hard) That is why I think it is so important for calguns.net to have updated info. I think a reasonable LEO would be hard pressed to arrest someone if that person had a copy of their AR memo on hand and could explain why the gun is NOT and assault rifle. The way it is written now shows that open mag = problems, would hate to explain to an LEO how calguns.net is wrong and I am right (if caught with an open mag well) I think most LEO's know about cg.netBut what can we do? Vote... too bad there isn't any good people to vote for! :smiley_kewlpics: With luck I'll be done with my background checks soon and be an LEO myself! :(

#63 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Computers....It's what i do for a living and sometimes for fun.
    Movies
    Spending time with the Family

Posted 12 March 2008 - 08:53 PM

I guess I'll have to buy one of these damn black guns just to prove that I'm not against you all. :signlol2iu: Damn, that means I'll have to put my Extrema II on hold for awhile. :( SteveH.

Come on over to the DARK SIDE!! We welcome you. :)SO, I guess you will be down at 10percent tomorrow starting your 10 days on your new lower? :)Who knows, maybe these will end up being terrible Coyote guns and I will end up getting a lighter bolt gun. But for now on my limited weapon budget I'm hoping this AR works well for the dogs. :(
Posted ImageA well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

#64 Robairto

Robairto

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 11:14 PM

I ordered a predator (Bushmaster upper) and bought a fab10 lower. I'm fine with the 10 rnds and the fixedmag. I have reg AW's but you can't use them on DFG property any how so I bought te fab10. I have some AW's kept out of state which were legally obtained so when I decide to move out of state I'll them waiting. Just my .02

#65 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 01:46 PM

I am ordering a 3 pack of lowers. Be jealous, be very jealous. I'm thinking a CMMG, a Stag and a Double Star...just for versatility. And if I told you how cheap I'm getting these you'd be upset. RRA stage 2 match trigger with at least one of them to boot. BB for all three, since they are OLL's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't believe I didn't do this sooner.
Sacramento Skull Works ...on Facebook!
Using Dermestid beetles to produce museum quality skulls for your trophy collection.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#66 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 01:52 PM

I am ordering a 3 pack of lowers. Be jealous, be very jealous.

You dog!!

#67 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 02:05 PM

Haha, I'm already getting excited, Heath. Too bad we just bought a house or I'd be buying the uppers too.
Using Dermestid beetles to produce museum quality skulls for your trophy collection.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#68 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 07:37 AM

Sounds to me like they have a similar bullet button type system for the AK's. But do some research because that's just what I've seen through reading up on the AR stuff, I didn't read that info in its entirety.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#69 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Movies

Posted 17 March 2008 - 10:47 AM

My upper will be here Thursday the 20th. :pirashoot: I'll post some pics when I have it all together. I get my Muzzle brake, hogue grip and single point sling tomorrow. The Bushnell Browning 3-9x40 showed up last friday, and it is sweet! Nice bright glass plus the logo goes well with my Stag lower. ;) I just hope the high rings will be high enough for a good cheek weld. I may have to get a separate mount to raise it up. We will see Thursday night.Hey Woodog, wanna do some sighting in this weekend?
Posted ImageA well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

#70 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, hunting and fishing.

Posted 17 March 2008 - 10:57 AM

so while we're talking parts kits ... what are the laws on aks in cali? I know you can get a parts kits and the 80% flat to make a receiver shipped here no problem from my understanding you can get the parts kit, but once you build it you're in trouble :pirashoot:

AK type weapons are treated just like AR type off list receivers. The actual CA Supreme Court case that overturned the State's "Series Ban" on "Assault Weapons" was brought by a guy who wanted to buy an AK type rifle.
Frank
One rifle, one planet. Holland's 375
Posted Image

#71 aquaelvis

aquaelvis

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 12:51 PM

Good stuff for AK builds:http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=91802

#72 woodog

woodog

Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Interests:Open Field Coursing and hunting.

Posted 17 March 2008 - 03:21 PM

Steve are you sure you want your phone number out on a public forum? A PM might be better.

Good point, but who knows I may even get a call from a teenage girl! :pirashoot: I'll edit the post. Thanks.
Maricopa in the Southern San Joaquin Valley

#73 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
    Movies

Posted 19 March 2008 - 06:55 AM

Just another primer....I received my muzzle brake, hogue grip, magpul trigger guard and single point sling last night. I installed the Hogue grip and it is a vast improvement over the plastic one. I started bangin on the roll pin to get the standard trigger guard out, but I decided not to push my luck. It was a PITA to get that pin in, and I am worried I am gonna break off the end of the receiver. I had been worried the muzzle brake was gonna be too big or too heavy, but is much smaller than I had pictured. It's gonna be just fine and should be about the same size as the A2 on my upper.I will get a pic up tonight of the lower with the hogue grip.Tomorrow night I get my Upper!! I hope to have it assembled and scope mounted tomorrow night. Then off to sight it in with Woodog on Saturday. ;)

#74 woodog

woodog

Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 11:19 AM

Well guys, I hate to admit this but I bought a Centermass lower yesterday and can pick it up on 2/28/08. Don't know what got into me. Actually, I have been thinking about it for a couple of weeks now, but thought I'd wait until Wanna built his AR so I could lean on him for help. :P I have no idea yet what the other components will be, but I'm shooting for the complete rifle, without scope, weighing in at close to 7 lb. Will probably go .223 for now because someone will surely have non-lead ammo for that popular bore. I'm working with Wes at Ten Percent Firearms and have him on a mission to keep both weight and price down. :751: Still seems weird to me that the lower, alone, is the part that gets registered.Here's a picture of me in my Black Gun outfit. :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: :bleh[1]: Woodog

#75 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 11:22 AM

Congrats! But no picture?

#76 woodog

woodog

Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 12:02 PM

It's the little cartoon guy in the black mask.

#77 aquaelvis

aquaelvis

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 01:04 PM

Nice going Steve! Is it true... once you go black you never go back? I have my lower sittin' here, still can't decide how I want to build this thing.

#78 woodog

woodog

Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 03:33 PM

I have my lower sittin' here, still can't decide how I want to build this thing.

Know what you mean. There is a ridiculous number of options out there to consider. I understand that Wes at Ten Percent has about $3,600 in his build. Hope his wife doesn't read this. :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: Woodog

#79 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
    Movies

Posted 19 March 2008 - 04:53 PM

Congratulations Woodog! Welcome to the Dark Side! :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: I'm new to all this as well, but we can see how a budget minded simple M4 setup works this weekend. :bleh[1]: It's not hard to put these together, and I did pick up a couple extra detent pins and springs in case we end up shooting parts across a room when putting yours together. :751: Hopefully we can get you a lightweight accurate setup for less than $3600!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!PS I plan to camo mine before taking it out hunting. That way I can tell the Black Gun Police "It's not an evil black gun, it's a camoed hunting rig". :DEDIT: Haha,I just looked at the pic of the Centermass lower. It's logo is a howling Coyote. SWEET! Looks similar to the CPC logo but flipped. Lower at 10percent

#80 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 04:55 PM

PS I plan to camo mine before taking it out hunting. That way I can tell the Black Gun Police "It's not an evil black gun, it's a camoed hunting rig". :bleh[1]:

That makes perfect sense to me! :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

#81 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
    Movies

Posted 19 March 2008 - 05:26 PM

That makes perfect sense to me! :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

Me too. :751: I was also thinking I could paint it to match the camo I wear. I could tell the Black Gun Police "What AR? You can't even see it. :bleh[1]: I'm surprised you can even see me."

#82 woodog

woodog

Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 05:37 PM

Me too. :751: I was also thinking I could paint it to match the camo I wear. I could tell the Black Gun Police "What AR? You can't even see it. :bleh[1]: I'm surprised you can even see me."

Camo is pretty obvious when sitting in church or a bar after hunting. :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

#83 woodog

woodog

Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 06:03 PM

Haha,I just looked at the pic of the Centermass lower. It's logo is a howling Coyote. SWEET! Looks similar to the CPC logo but flipped. Lower at 10percent

Actually the Centermass comes with several different logos. I got the one that has "California" stamped on it, as in California legal! The coyote is pretty cool though.*******************************************************This is off the subject, but still about logos. I recently traded my 2005 Saturn Vue AWD for a 2008 model. The plates on the old one were "Hare Dog" because I competed in open field coursing with my sighthounds for about 12 years before I got hooked on this coyote thing. They coursed jackrabbits which are really hares. Anyway coming up with a plate associated with predator hunting turned out to be a real challenge. The DMV guy told me that if he found the plate objectionable he could reject it. If he accepted it, it would still be subject to review in Sacramento. He also told me that if a plate was issued and anyone complained that DMV would pull the plate.Once you write the plate name on the application you have to give a short narrative about the meaning of the name. It was a tough job and I finally gave up and returned to worked to give it more thought (yes, I work for the government - thank you tax payers). Ergo, a plate name that would be recognized by predator hunters and still be explainable to anyone questioning the meaning. I go back to DMV and hand the guy the application with the plate name of "DOG DOWN". The guy says, "OK, what does it mean?" He checked the computer and told me that the name was available and asked again what it meant. I told him that I am a K9 obedience trainer and that "down" is a required command in obedience. The guy said, "Wow, I do obedience too and am surprised that someone didn't think of that before". I just smiled and said, "well, you just never know until you try it". Hope to have my new plates in a month or so.Woodog

#84 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
    Movies

Posted 19 March 2008 - 09:15 PM

Actually the Centermass comes with several different logos. I got the one that has "California" stamped on it, as in California legal! The coyote is pretty cool though.*******************************************************This is off the subject, but still about logos. I recently traded my 2005 Saturn Vue AWD for a 2008 model. The plates on the old one were "Hare Dog" because I competed in open field coursing with my sighthounds for about 12 years before I got hooked on this coyote thing. They coursed jackrabbits which are really hares. Anyway coming up with a plate associated with predator hunting turned out to be a real challenge. The DMV guy told me that if he found the plate objectionable he could reject it. If he accepted it, it would still be subject to review in Sacramento. He also told me that if a plate was issued and anyone complained that DMV would pull the plate.Once you write the plate name on the application you have to give a short narrative about the meaning of the name. It was a tough job and I finally gave up and returned to worked to give it more thought (yes, I work for the government - thank you tax payers). Ergo, a plate name that would be recognized by predator hunters and still be explainable to anyone questioning the meaning. I go back to DMV and hand the guy the application with the plate name of "DOG DOWN". The guy says, "OK, what does it mean?" He checked the computer and told me that the name was available and asked again what it meant. I told him that I am a K9 obedience trainer and that "down" is a required command in obedience. The guy said, "Wow, I do obedience too and am surprised that someone didn't think of that before". I just smiled and said, "well, you just never know until you try it". Hope to have my new plates in a month or so.Woodog

Great story about the plate. Once I'm no longer "wanna" I will have to figure out a plate for my rig. :ninja: I too will give it some thought at work (another Gov employee).

#85 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 03:15 PM

Check this out ....... http://cbs5.com/crim...s.2.680263.html

#86 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 03:26 PM

Check this out ....... http://cbs5.com/crim...s.2.680263.html

Ugh!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#87 Quade

Quade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts
  • Interests:Im an art major at Folsom Lake College. So I spend a lot of my time drawing. And if I have time, I shoot then sleep. ( In that order)<br />I picked up a tattoo machine almost 2 years ago..<br />Its scary as hell, but its fun at the same time..

Posted 20 March 2008 - 03:29 PM

Wow.... Choppers... huh...Because the chop down people...Give me a :censored[1]: brake....

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot. The guy who invented the other three, he was the genius.

#88 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 03:37 PM

Yea, pretty flippin' lame.

#89 aquaelvis

aquaelvis

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 04:00 PM

Well, if the liberal media did anything it was to state what people have said all along... AR's are legal in CA if done right. I don't care if it is a loop hole or a gaping hole, it is a hole! Even the LEO's that they talked with did not argue that point. Very interesting. I wonder how many people are going to looking into off list lowers after seeing this report on the news? Choppers... :censored[1]:

#90 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
    Movies

Posted 20 March 2008 - 05:23 PM

I hope you are right. I just talked to a friend of mine who is a 15+ year officer with the BPD and on the SWAT team. I explained my config, told him about the flowchart from Calguns.net etc. He basically said "if it's a 10 round fixed mag and you aren't using it on the streets or in a crime, I shouldn't have any problems". I am going to talk to him in the next couple days after he talks with some of the other BPD officers that specialize in this stuff. Hopefully he will come back with good news.I think that whole Oakland thing is a different environment and probably a whole different lifestyle than the people on here. My usage of my firearm while having the capability of providing home defense (which obviously would be used in my home so no DFG or DOJ or LEO to deal with) or I will be using it in a hunting fashion.Plus, I doubt the gang banger homies out there are buying these up and putting bullet buttons on them. :censored[1]: Most if not all gang bangers are buying guns off the street illegaly and wouldn't be able to buy legally, nor do they want to buy legally due to having the gun traced back to them. I guess some people/dealers could be buying them up then selling on the street, but again the guns would get tracked back to them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users