8 replies to this topic

#1 gotsch

gotsch

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:25 PM

is there a simple way to find my MOA (308 150 grain fmj b/t) for my rifle. can i make a chart, how does all this work, I just saw the most fascinating video on youtube for using the MOA but i don't know how to find mine. I remember seeing something on best of the west website a long time ago and am not really sure of how much of that info i need for the calculater they have.

#2 Loopdog

Loopdog

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting. Big Game Hunting and Upland Game

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:30 PM

are you using federal ammo? if so on the federal website there is a calculator

#3 gotsch

gotsch

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:43 PM

Loop~ thankyou. Looked at similar (newer) scopes on the luepold website and all say the same, my MOA is 100. Anyone know how i use that?

#4 gotsch

gotsch

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:45 PM

Got another ? about the MOA subject, the federal calculater that i checked out is in inches, how do i convert that over to my 100 MOA?

#5 docskinner

docskinner

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Interests:Learning to navigate Cali hunting laws &amp; Regs. <br />Hunting, shooting, fishing.<br />

Posted 21 March 2012 - 03:02 PM

Minute of angle (Minutes are a way of separating degrees - 1 degree has sixty minutes in it). at 100 yards, it is basically 1" (1.0472") So a MOA for your rifle, or any rifle, or any pistol, or cannon, etc, is about 1" at 100yards. 2.09" at 200 yards. so 10 MOA at 200 yards is 20.9", 100 MOA at 200 yards 209" 3.1416" at 300 yards 5.24" at 500 yards6.28" at 600 yardsneed 100 MOA in inches? 100x1.0472" At 100 yards. at 1000 yards? 10x100x1.0472" http://riflestocks.tripod.com/moa.htmlor http://www.snipercou.../mildot_moa.asp for a good quick read on mildots and MOA

#6 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,197 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Fishing, Camping

Posted 21 March 2012 - 05:34 PM

is there a simple way to find my MOA (308 150 grain fmj b/t) for my rifle. can i make a chart, how does all this work, I just saw the most fascinating video on youtube for using the MOA but i don't know how to find mine. I remember seeing something on best of the west website a long time ago and am not really sure of how much of that info i need for the calculater they have.

Gotsch,Not sure what you mean "find my MOA" Are you talking about making a chart for your 150 grain FMJ BT-308 bullet. If so, then the first thing to do is to chronograph your load. Once you know your velocity, you can then enter the number into a ballistic program. From there you can then generate a ballistic chart for that specific bullet.

#7 gotsch

gotsch

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 05:26 PM

I think that I'm getting it, time to go out to some open land and try out this chart. Thankyou all So much for the help!!

#8 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 05:48 PM

Gotsch, PM'ed responded.

#9 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 07:58 PM

I think that I'm getting it, time to go out to some open land and try out this chart. Thankyou all So much for the help!!

One thing I will add that I forgot to tell you in my PM. Don't forget to measure the scope height. Is it 1.5" or 1.75". Is the dial a true MOA or an IPHY. Does the scope tracks well and repeatable. These are things that needs to be address first and foremost to avoid frustration once the bullet start flying. Good Luck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users