Photo

Gotta stop doing this, I'm outta money now.

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,784 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 04 September 2012 - 07:49 AM

Well, I did it again. Saw another beautiful Smith that I figured I just had to have. But now I have to stop as I've blow my stash completely. This one is a Smith and Wesson model 22-4 Thunder Ranch in 45 acp. It came with about 15 moon clips too, so I won't have to send the cylinder away as I recently did with my model 10 and model 27 to have it cut to accept moon clips. This thing is in beautiful condition and I'm really excited. Dang, now I've got three new guns that I'm going to have to find time to shoot the heck out of. Starting this weekend with two of them I hope. Her she is. this is the only picture I have right now, It is the picture from the ad where I saw it. I do need to get some grips for it. I"m going to look at Hogue's. I like the looks of them and understand this baby can really bite with these stock grips. Unfortunately, didn't have the opportunity to shoot it so can't confirm that.

Posted Image
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#2 sxshooter

sxshooter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Interests:sxs smallbore shotguns .410 in particular, bird dogs, aviation, BBQ, grilling, photography, red wines, craft beers

Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:34 AM

Great looking piece Braz. Those are the kind I'd like to keep. I kinda "need" a .22 buntline with a brass skeleton stock. Looking over the options for either finding such an animal or building it. USFA and Colts come to mind. The stock is a dilemma.
It's not about how many, it's about how.
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog or gun

Maintain a balance of nature, use a beautiful gun when shooting a beautiful bird

#3 KNOCKED UP

KNOCKED UP

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,631 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, archery,Reloading.
    Harley Davidson Motorcycles, and good people
    RETIRED

Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:40 AM

Don't beat your self up Braz,
Think of it as an investment.
Tom

Life on earth is temporary, Choose your destiny Wisely.

#4 Braz

Braz

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,784 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:40 AM

That's what I keep telling myself and it's working just fine. but it sure isn't working well with my wife. :fuhrer:
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#5 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 04 September 2012 - 01:14 PM

You're gathering multi-generational wealth. Well done.

#6 Rimrock

Rimrock

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 03:07 PM

You have some great looking revolvers, Braz. Do you have these?

Model 28, Highway Patrolman, .357
Posted Image

Model 48. (I think) .22magnum
Posted Image

#7 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,932 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 05:13 PM

Very nice Braz! Let us know how she shoots!
“Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that require every citizen to prove they are insured... but not everyone must prove they are a citizen.”

#8 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,699 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 04 September 2012 - 05:39 PM

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#9 rustygun

rustygun

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • Interests:All types of hunting, but mostley small game, varmints and predators. X-Military (Army) 20 years. Been away from the hunting game for almost 22 years

Posted 04 September 2012 - 06:09 PM

Good investment but now you really needto grt us a range report on them.

#10 Braz

Braz

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,784 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 06:43 PM

Nope, I dont hae the model 28, but do have the model 27.

Posted Image

Adn no I don't have the 22mag, but sure would love to find one. Are you tempting me with that one? . :lol:
Handmade Calls by Braz

#11 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,529 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 04 September 2012 - 07:06 PM

Both beautiful Braz, the 27 & the new one. Don't need a 28 (Chevy) when you already own a Cadillac (27) :lol:
And a .22mag would be nice, but the sad reality of it is that you can load .38's or .44spcl's (if you have the 29 like I do) for less than buying ammo for the .22mag. Sad, but true. And .44's do make good rabbit guns, so I've heard :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

#12 Rimrock

Rimrock

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:53 PM

Braz, I would be happy to tempt you with the .22 Mag but it belongs to my wife. It was gifted to her by a good friend just before he passed away. She has had it for years but never shoots it so the cost is minimal. Anyway, you might be in trouble if you bought it, and I would definitely be in trouble if I suggested selling it.

Looking forward to some range reports.

#13 Braz

Braz

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,784 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 04:36 PM

Just wanted to give a bit of a range report, kind of anyway. I went to the Midwest Regional Revolver Championship this past weekend. I took the 27 and some new speedloaders, that I had never used before. Bad idea. but the revolver I usually shoot was at the gunsmiths so I had to imporvise. To make a long, sad story short, the dang speed loaders jjust didn't work well for me at all. Relly slowed me down a lot. The gun itself was ery accurate. Of the 10 stages we shot I did five of them clean. By that I mean all shots were in The A ring, no B's or C's. I was very happy with the way it shot for me. I only had two stages where I had a missed target. One stage was because I had run out of ammo and din't have anothe speedloader to reload to reshot the targets, so I had to settle for some misses. The time was my big problem. I'm going to get some different speedloaders and try it again. Also, I have had this revolver cut for moonclips, so will be trying that out. With the accuracy I get from it, if I can get my speed up I'll be moving up in class a bit.
Handmade Calls by Braz

#14 Rimrock

Rimrock

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 06:49 PM

Great. It looks like you got a good un.

#15 zippy1970

zippy1970

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 04:31 PM

Hey Braz ,

Was it an " ICORE " match ?

I ran HKS speed loaders in my 624 ( .44 Spcl ) . Took some practice & 5 always went in . If I jiggled it ( wasting time ) I could get the 6th rd to fall . I just accepted it . Ran 10 speedloaders .

Also ran my 625 (acp) wth 10 moon clips .

Never liked the timer as I did it for fun . Due to my back & other " handicaps " , I enjoyed the time being there . Shooting when I can , watching when I can't shoot . There was a regional match help in SLOSA ( Morro bay ) this past spring . Wished I could have watched the match on my B Day ( 9/15 ) but hell of a drive to watch .

Andy

#16 Braz

Braz

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,784 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:42 PM

Yes, the match in Fallon was an ICORE match. it was the Midwest Regional Revolver championship. the one in SLO was the International Revolver Championship. both were a blast to participate in. anyone that likes shooting revolvers should try and find a place to shoot ICORE near them and do it. Lots of fun. I"m going to be movi8ng to moon clips here shortly. Got the guns cut for the clips, got the clips and the loaders. So I'm jut bout ready.
Handmade Calls by Braz

#17 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,529 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:52 PM

The moon clips sure look like they would be a whole heck of a lot less bulky than speed loaders for sure. Just don't know if I could bring myself to "cut" any of my vintage girls. If I were competing with them I'm sure it wouldn't be such a tough decision though. Best of luck.

#18 Braz

Braz

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,784 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 08:53 PM

Well, took the Thunder Ranch out for its first range session Short one too, as it is just too uncomfortable o shoot with the stock grips on it. I am going to buy some nice or obols, finger groved, grips from hogue. The moone clips are terrific.
Handmade Calls by Braz

#19 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,152 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 01 October 2012 - 12:22 PM

Hey Braz I found an Old School Tacticool for you.

Attached File  Old School.jpg   39.99KB   2 downloads

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#20 zippy1970

zippy1970

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 01:00 PM

Bob , I am not into cutting any pre 94' S&W . As I would never own a post 94' , I guess I would never cut one either . But I do know for fact that my 624-3 was " machined " a little to fit most of the newer Moonclips . There seems to be some variences in thickness from diff makers . And I didn't do it .

Hey Braz I found an Old School Tacticool for you.

Attached File  Old School.jpg   39.99KB   2 downloads

AWESOME SJ . But did not Pirates have " tacticool " too ?

I am out there to have fun . Not set a speed record . Just something to get me out of the house . Besides it was fun as hell to have all the " racers " telling me EXACTLY what I need to do . They never asked why I shot that way ( w/ speed loaders ) they just told me what equipment I " need " . ^_^

Got the same " help " when I shot my 9mm also .

Braz , I was wondering about those grips as they look " poor " for shooting . What kills me is that my hands are big , not huge and thin fingers . My friend that had the same size hand as I had the opposite . His fingers looked like rolls of Sausage . His grips were super thin & mine were fat in the palm swells .

Andy

#21 Braz

Braz

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,784 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:17 PM

Went to the Gun show at Cal Expo this last weekend and found a set of grips for the Thunder Ranch. Got them instaalled and they look and feel terrific. Hopefully, tomorrow i'll get to shoot it and see how they feel. I'll also try and get a pictue of the TR with new stocks and post it.
Handmade Calls by Braz

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users