• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts
  • Interests:I've got so many I couldn't list them all. :)

Posted 19 January 2012 - 09:01 PM

Hi everyone, Well I started thinking about how heavy the typical Marauder Rifle stock is and being the inquisitive type, I decided this evening to draw up a few ideas that I might try to make. Just so you know what is on the drawings, butt pads are not shown on these drawings because I want to only show the wood portion. Also, the dashed lines you see going from the muzzle end of the stock back towards the butt represents the depth that the reservior penetrates. My goal is to lighten up the overall weight of the stock, even though I know the majority of the weight is in the action and added scope. Drawing Detail 1 is the Standard Factory Marauder Rifle Stock shown for comparison. Detail 1A was the first idea I came up with. I thought of only making the cheek rest on one side of the stock and scouping it out for comfort. Also on the back end of the stock I though of arching the lower part to take a little weight off. I also lightened the fore end of the stock by cutting out some of the material in front of the pressure gauge only since I didn't want any of the gauge or trigger housing protruding further than with the factory stock. See the details below:Attached File  Detail_1_1A_Reduced.jpg   54.23KB   7 downloads The next two details are 1B & 1C. 1B was my next attempt. Once again I kept the material I had removed from the fore end out while leaving the butt end of the stock more traditional and only removing material from the middle of the cheek area. I would have an area on the stock for a cheek rest, but haven't shown it on the details. Detail 1C is probably the most drastic removal of material in that the fore end has material cut away (just like details 1A & 1B) but also has a thumbhole cut/shaped into the stock and material removed from the cheek rest area. Detail 1C would require the removal of the action to adjust, but I think I like Prototype 1C the best for overall aesthetics, appeal and removal of weight. See the details below:Attached File  Detail_1B_1C_Reduced.jpg   53.67KB   7 downloads Let me know what you all think and whether you think they are good, ok, not so good, etc. and which one, if any, you like best. Once I finalize a design, I'm going to talk to my boss and see if he will eventually allow me to use the company equipment to fabricate my own replacement stock. I'm going to research different woods for weight, durability and density. I already know the standard woods (believe me I've worked with so many unique and exotic woods there aren't many I haven't seen or know about). The first one will be out of inexpensive wood so that I don't have to worry if I make any mistakes. Then I'll try the nicer wood once I get the design fully completed. Anyway, let me know what you think. :yahoo:

#2 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,161 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 20 January 2012 - 11:17 AM

Nice. Can you make me an extra one out of walnut while your working? :g-hog-poppin-up-ani: I have a Boyds on my .25 Marauder now which is nice but nothing like a nice thumbhole walnut. I like a light gun and would definitely go for as light as possible (IC). I really like Steve Corcorans work.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

I'm an airgunholic

#3 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,011 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 20 January 2012 - 11:52 AM

I'd be interest in the thumbhole style if it were made ambidextrous. :g-hog-poppin-up-ani:

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#4 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 12:02 PM

The Minelli stock design on my Air Ranger is the way to go then.Posted Image

I'm an airgunholic

#5 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 04:10 PM

Those are definitely some nice stocks Brant. I like the way they look, however, there is a lot of wood there on most of those stocks and I'm trying to somehow get the stock (at least the one I put on my Marauder) to be around 2 pounds (less would be nice). The current Marauder stock weighs about 3.2 pounds. I also want to try and incorporate the existing butt pad onto the stock design and the trigger guard. I could incorporate the trigger guard into the stock, but I'd rather not try to do that. I made a template today to trace onto the material. Now I just need to get some 2"+ thick material to use for the initial prototype.

#6 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,011 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 04:19 PM

Don't make it too light you know the violent recoil these airguns have. :g-hog-poppin-up-ani: :sport037fn4:

Time waits for no one--

#7 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 05:14 PM

:good: If only they did. :good: I'm sure glad they don't though. It makes shooting much easier on the body. :751:

#8 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 05:28 PM

Those are definitely some nice stocks Brant. I like the way they look, however, there is a lot of wood there on most of those stocks and I'm trying to somehow get the stock (at least the one I put on my Marauder) to be around 2 pounds (less would be nice). The current Marauder stock weighs about 3.2 pounds. I also want to try and incorporate the existing butt pad onto the stock design and the trigger guard. I could incorporate the trigger guard into the stock, but I'd rather not try to do that. I made a template today to trace onto the material. Now I just need to get some 2"+ thick material to use for the initial prototype.

For real light weight the answer is to purchase a P-Rod to complement the M-Rod of course. Even the action/barrels are not light on the M-Rods.P-Rod with Steve's carbine stock. :good: P-Rod is 2.7 lbs. Stock is about 2.Posted Image

I'm an airgunholic

#9 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 07:22 PM

That's real nice looking. However, since there are so many guys on the MarauderRifle forum that have been looking for other alternatives for rifle stocks, I've been trying to come up with something that I might be able to make and keep at a decent price. Not for making a business out of it, but if I make a few of them and sell the ones I don't make for myself it might pay for my materials and a little of my time. What most guys want for the M-Rod is a synthetic stock. If only I had a clue how to do that and had access to it I could market those a make a bundle. Someone that went to the ShotShow asked the rep from Crosman if they had any plans to come out with a synthetic stock for the M-Rod and the reps reply was that they have been getting loads of that exact question. You think if they just did it and offered it set up that way, or as an extra you could purchase later, they would sell thousands of them. As long as they were real light of course. :good:

#10 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 03:50 PM

I have a Boyds on my .25 Marauder now which is nice but nothing like a nice thumbhole walnut. I like a light gun and would definitely go for as light as possible (IC). I really like Steve Corcorans work.Posted Image

Brant, How hard was it to cut in and fit the Marauder's action into that Boyd's stock? I'm thinking about ordering one of their Ross Thumbhole Sporter stocks but since I don't have a drill press, router or other large milling tools I didn't know if I would be able to do it. What types of tools did you use when you let in that stock?Thanks,ARH

#11 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,011 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 03:56 PM

I've only ever used hand tools like chisels and rasps to inlet stocks. You don't need power equipment, in fact hand tools allow you better fit.

Time waits for no one--

#12 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:05 PM

I used a buds milling machine for the main air tube slot and a half-round 1-1/4" bit. I did the rest from hand tools/drill press.

I'm an airgunholic

#13 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:33 PM

I've only ever used hand tools like chisels and rasps to inlet stocks. You don't need power equipment, in fact hand tools allow you better fit.

Ok ShooterJohn, I may order one and give it a try then. I've put the stock that was on my Project Marauder (the reshaped Marauder stock with the black undercoating on it) on my personal .22 Marauder Rifle because I liked it alot and I'm going to put the Marauder stock that was on my personal .22 on a .25 Marauder that I'm thinking of selling because the one that is on it was modified by the previous owner and not to my personal liking (was cut shorter at the front and doesn't allow for a sling stud) . If I get one, let it in and like it alot I may put it on my personal .25 Marauder and then modify that Marauder Stock for something else. I don't know. I would just hate to spend $54 plus shipping to get one and then mess it up in the process. Brant, If you don't mind me asking, how much do they charge to ship those stocks? I know is says they use UPS for USA shipments but I didn't see where they quoted any shipping costs.Thanks,ARH

#14 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:45 PM

Wow I don't remember. That has been a year ago or so. I see it says USPS for under $100 orders.

I'm an airgunholic

#15 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 06:48 PM

Wow I don't remember. That has been a year ago or so. I see it says USPS for under $100 orders.

I thought is said USPS for International orders under $100. At least I think that is what it said (I could be wrong)... I'm thinking if I'm able to sell my Benjamin Trail NP XL1100 (listed in the Classifieds) and if I maybe sell one of my .25 Marauders I'll use a little bit of the proceeds (the rest needs to go to bills) to order one of those stocks and try my best to inlet it properly :smiley-funny-post-sign:. I like the Pepper looking one. I'd get the Forest Camo one, but the combination of the Green, Grey and Brown doesn't really do it for me. If it were just Green and Brown I think I'd like it better. The Nutmeg one is alright too, but the others are a bit too bright (at least to me) for hunting with in the field. I'll just have to wait and see if the Benji Trail sells... :signlol2iu:

#16 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:31 PM

Well I broke down and order (2) stocks from Boyd's today. :good: Both are the Pepper Laminate. One is the Featherweight Thumbhole Stock and the other is the Blaster Stock (which I believe is the one you have on your Marauder Brant). I decided to order two different ones because I wasn't sure if the Featherweight Thumbhole Stock would allow the Marauder's action a proper fit after inletting, so I ordered the Blaster Stock to have just in case. If I end up not using it, I'll inlet for the Marauder action and maybe sell it and make a little for my inletting labor. I'd prefer to use the Featherweight Thumbhole if I can because I want to keep the rifle as light as possible, but if not I'll use the Blaster stock and perhaps reshape it just a little after I've inlet for the action. I'm not sure if I'll clear coat it with a satin finish or if I'll do the black bedliner on it. It will greatly depend on how they look when they arrive. I like that the bedliner keeps the stock pretty well protected. Anyway, I'll let you know how I fair once I receive them (which should be on Monday or Tuesday). :roflmao3[1]:

#17 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:40 PM

Yes mine is the Blaster. I have since come back and added a few thin layers of Tru-oil to give it a gloss finish. You can see my reflection. That is rubbed on with my fingers.Posted Image

I'm an airgunholic

#18 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 03:51 PM

That stock definitely shines now! What, if anything, had you done to it in the previous photo? Does the Tru-Oil really make in shine that much more? Can I get Tru-Oil at a local store or will I have to order it off the internet to get some if I need any? I would really like the stock to have a satin or matte finish since I'll be hunting with it. I don't want sunlight glaring off of my stock and alerting my quarry of my position or existence. Of course, like I mentioned before, depending on how I like the actual "Pepper Laminate" look when they arrive will allow me do decide whether to clear coat or bed liner it. I am looking forward to putting my personal .25 cal Marauder into a nicer feeling stock, it is the inletting being done perfectly the first time that makes me a bit nervous. :good: I hope mine turns out as well fitting as your stock did. :roflmao3[1]:

#19 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 03:58 PM

From where Boyds is to my house for one was a little more than $14 and for shipping two stocks was about $18.50 which for UPS Ground is not bad.

#20 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 04:06 PM

The previous photo had some Tru-oil as well - just to a satin finish. I just added a few more layers (maybe 5 in total) and rubbed it to a sheen. The stock is night and day better than the stock stock. :roflmao3[1]: Oh I see the USPS is International orders - I glanced at that...I use Stubby and will use the new P-Rod for lugging in the field (when airgunning) but most of my shooting is off of my private range. Stubby has a Maddog stock with the bed liner type spray.Posted ImagePosted Image

I'm an airgunholic

#21 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 06:27 PM

That is nice that you basically have your own shooting area/range. I will zero in my scopes and test my Marauders for accuracy (mostly before I'm going on a day hunting trip) in my backyard during the week on my lunch hour when most people aren't home, but that is about it. If I want to really test them out I have to go to a range or out to the desert (or go hunting).

#22 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 06:33 PM

I work at home full time and need some breaks during the day. Sometimes my targets get covered. :roflmao3[1]: I had to cut a path into the woods to get targets out to 75 yards. The deer is at 30 yards.Posted ImagePosted Image

I'm an airgunholic

#23 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 07:36 PM

That's a sweet set up!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users