9 replies to this topic

#1 cj1026

cj1026

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 10:22 AM

So I just bought a Tikka T3 .243. Plan on using it for coyote, rabbits and maybe deer.What do you guys suggest for factory ammo? What about grains?As always thanks guys

#2 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 22 April 2010 - 11:32 AM

Try some Hornady Varmint Express Ammo, 243 Winchester, 58 Grain V-Max. That should be some good store bought ammo for dispatching yotes. Got yer glass yet?
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." Winston Churchill

#3 whatjeffhunts

whatjeffhunts

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 11:48 AM

Cant go wrong with anything Hornady

Vegetables aren't food, vegetables are what food eats

#4 cj1026

cj1026

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 12:00 PM

Try some Hornady Varmint Express Ammo, 243 Winchester, 58 Grain V-Max. That should be some good store bought ammo for dispatching yotes. Got yer glass yet?

No glass yet. I don't have much of a budget for glass either. Was looking at Nikon Pro Staff 3-9x40 w/ BDC. Any suggestions?

#5 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 22 April 2010 - 12:06 PM

First, congrats on your new purchase... It will serve you well for many years.Well, there are so many choices especially with both lead and non-lead bullets now days that it sure can get confusing to say the least. Anyway, if I were to get another 243 I've always thought I would use a 55gr Nosler B.T. for coyotes in the lead areas of our world. The biggest reason for that is, it offers the FLATTEST trajectory whether its out to 3, 4 or even 500 yards. Eliminates much of the guess work & arching trajectorys. No other weight bullet in that caliber will beat, much less match the 55gr bullet if going at its full potential velocities. AND the 55gr WILL smash a coyote just fine thank you. lolLots of folks step up to the heavier 70 & 75 gr & heavier bullets and is a great idea especially if wanting only one bullet to do all your hunting needs. But for coyotes exclusively I'll take the lighter bullets in that caliber, at least if hunting open terrain. Heavy vegetation could be another story.I was just looking at a 3x9 Weaver at Turners for $150. It looked like a fine scope for the money. Much better than the $200+ Redfield that I compared it to IMHO.I personally have no use for a BDC on my scope, especially just for normal hunting conditions. With a properly sighted in rifle and properly loaded high velocity bullet there is almost no guess work out to 300 yards and in some cases almost 400 yards, depending on what type of animal being hunted. Nice gadget, but not worth the extra $$ that might be paid for it.Good LuckFrank

#6 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 22 April 2010 - 01:56 PM

Personally, I'd save a little more and give that Tikka glass it deserves. We sell some fine Hawke scopes but if you want a ballistic drop reticle and the associated program, it will cost you more than $175.00. The Hawke 4-16 X 38 Tactical I just mounted on my Savage is very nice. Bright and clear day and night. The Hawke Endurance (side focus) for around $225.00 is nice too and has a red or green illuminated Mil-Dot reticle. Check out our web store and PM me if you have questions. Good luck with your new Tikka. I have one Tikka in 25-06 and another in 22-250. Both are sweet shooters.
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." Winston Churchill

#7 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 22 April 2010 - 02:20 PM

Personally, I'd save a little more and give that Tikka glass it deserves.

I Agree :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

#8 whatjeffhunts

whatjeffhunts

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 03:32 PM

Ive got a Nikon buckmaster scope on my Thompson Venture. Really nice scope. About $200 new. So not to bad

Vegetables aren't food, vegetables are what food eats

#9 Colin

Colin

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 10:14 PM

I really like the Leupold VX-1 for around $220.00 it's hard to beat. As for the bullet...I handload, but anything with the Nosler 70gr Ballistic Tip would work great for coyotes (it is a varmint bullet, so don't use it for deer). The 80gr Ballistic Tip is a much tougher bullet and could be used for deer, but I would suggest nothing less than the 95gr Ballistc Tip for deer. The 70gr 6mm Ballistic Tip is my favorite all around coyote bullet followed closely by the .224 caliber 40gr Ballistic Tip. The 70gr B-Tip really hits them hard and I have yet to see a huge entry or exit. Seems they expend their energy perfectly in a coyote sized animal. I've taken a handful of coyotes with the 70gr bullet and seen several others taken by my buddy out of his 6mm Remington with the same bullet. Also, my .243 isn't the most accurate rifle I've ever shot...a buddy owned it first and couldn't figure it out, then he sold it to another buddy, who also had problems with it...Nothing better than 1.5 inch groups at 100 yards with several different types of bullets. I took it over, and messed with it and the 70gr ballistic tip took some minor tweaking and it shoots within 3/4 inch at 100 yards....

#10 milkman

milkman

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts
  • Interests:Unofficial U.S.Coast Guard motto"You got to go out but you dont have to come back!!"

Posted 23 April 2010 - 07:56 PM

Personally, I'd save a little more and give that Tikka glass it deserves. We sell some fine Hawke scopes but if you want a ballistic drop reticle and the associated program, it will cost you more than $175.00. The Hawke 4-16 X 38 Tactical I just mounted on my Savage is very nice. Bright and clear day and night. The Hawke Endurance (side focus) for around $225.00 is nice too and has a red or green illuminated Mil-Dot reticle. Check out our web store and PM me if you have questions. Good luck with your new Tikka. I have one Tikka in 25-06 and another in 22-250. Both are sweet shooters.

sounds like a shameless plug to me :roflmao3[1]:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users