13 replies to this topic

#1 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 08:33 AM

Any one ever use the product Wipe Out? I just squirted it down my barrel of my 300 and will let it set until tomorrow.

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,153 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 17 October 2005 - 08:45 AM

I've got cans and cans of it and use it all of the time. You may have to give the gun a second shot of Wipe Out tomorrow. But once you clean it thoroughly one shot does it from then on. It's a bit messy to use, so I got a piece of surgical tubing to fit the can and hold it tight in the guns chamber. No more problems after that. Oh and put a plate under the end of the barrel and keep the gun angled slightly down. You'll see the tell tale blue of copper drip from the barrel overnight. :P

Never heard of it. What does it do?

Where have you been? We talked about it on the old forum. It's a gun barrel cleaner. But you don't shoot your's enough to need it. B) :P

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#3 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, Fishing, Snow Skiing and RV'ing.

Posted 17 October 2005 - 09:04 AM

John Feeling alittle feisty today are we? I know what wipe out is I think it was the title of a surfing song from the sixties right? It does work well, and yes I do shoot enough to have to clean once in awhile not like some people I know. Hard to beat that Butch's Boreshine also and doesn't make the mess with a good boreguide and a solvent port. dale B)
Life Member DU, NRA, VHA,CWA, and The OF's of America.

#4 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 10:10 AM

Oh and put a plate under the end of the barrel and keep the gun angled slightly down. You'll see the tell tale blue of copper drip from the barrel overnight. B)

Thanks for the info. I just tilted the 300 and 5mm after putting a plate under the end of the barrel. I saw blue almost instantly as it came out the ports of my muzzle break on the 300 so I can tell already its doing the job!

#5 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,153 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 11:07 AM

Hard to beat that Butch's Boreshine also and doesn't make the mess with a good boreguide and a solvent port. dale :P

That's true Dale and you know I use it when I don't have overnight to wait for a cleaning. Butch's Boreshine is my favorite stand alone cleaner for a quick cleaning. It's after I've been to the range with a half dozen or more guns that the Wipe Out is champ! :P

Oh-cooper fouling is something I don't worry about-mine are mollyed B)

Steve, you better get some Butch's or Wipe Out. You're going to find you need it molly lubed or not. If you ever get out to the range I mean. :P

Time waits for no one--

#6 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 03:31 PM

According to alot of very knowledgeble people of which I'm not one of, Moly is not that good for barrels. The gurus of the benchrest world have determined that moly tends to retain moisture and develops a corrosion layer between the moly and the barrel. It does not prevent copper build up and there is an on going debate about whether it helps at all for accuracy, cleaning, barrel life, etc. I asked Jim Kelbly of Stolle Actions who is one of the leaders in the industry about Moly and he said don't do it. With all the world champion guns they have built I listen. Dan Lilja also has some comments on his sight. To each his own. dale

#7 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,153 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 06:17 PM

Here's a link to Wipe-Out if anyone would like to read up on it.Wipe-Out

Time waits for no one--

#8 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 06:27 PM

Sorry I must of misunderstood. When I see a post saying I don't worry about copper fouling because my barrel is moly'd, I interpet that as the poster believing that copper fouling will not happen if the barrel is moly coated and that it is less maintenance or no maintenance. Cleaning a moly barrel is much more complex and reapplying is reccomended, besides shooting only moly coated bullets. Copper will foul a moly barrel and the corrosion problems are a serious problem, caused by the moly attracting and trapping moisture. I'll look for some of the links on the issue. Dale

#9 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 08:12 PM

Steve Obviously you don't know metals very well. SSteel corrodes and the SS they use for barrels corrodes. When I used to be involved in working on offshore oil facilities we used to clad them with high nickel alloys such as monel and others I can't recall. I've seen pics from a bore scope of SS barrels corroded it ain't pretty. On the wheel chair lifts we mfg. we build them out of Stainless then powder coat them because if we don't they corrode.

#10 Hylander

Hylander

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sports

Posted 17 October 2005 - 08:31 PM

Personally I like Copper fouling :o Never tried to get it out of .308 and it shoot's single hole groups :o And yes it shot the same groups new right out of the box with a shinny copper free barrel.I do clean my Weapons after every use, but worrying about that smiggon of copperjust Ain't worth the trouble. ;) When Accuracy falls off then I'll give it some thought.Just my two cent's worth, thats is really only worth one cent :D
Failure is not an OptionLincoln,Ca.

#11 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 09:16 PM

Hylander It would be interesting to see how much copper is in the barrel, you should try some wipeout. If it shot good from new it still should after an application or two of wipeout. Steve I wasn't trying to win anything, just trying to correct wrong information.

#12 ForkedHorn

ForkedHorn

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 09:12 AM

So I'm not sure if I am understanding this correctly? if you molly coat a barrel AND shoot ONLY molly coated bullets through it, then you will not have any copper fouling issue in that weapon? or are some of you saying, even with a molly coated BBL AND molly coated bullets, you will still get some copper fouling that will need to be cleaned? Or will you only get copper fouling on a molly coated BBL IF you shoot bare copper bullets through it? thanks. biGjOhnA.K.A ForkedHorn

#13 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,153 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 10:06 AM

This is off the subject of using Wipe-Out but it seems this topic has gotten off track. Here is a link to the advantages and the numerous disadvantages of using moly in your guns. You can read and decide yourself.Moly and its effectsNuff said, lets get back to hunting. :)

Time waits for no one--

#14 ForkedHorn

ForkedHorn

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 02:02 PM

if you molly coat a barrel AND shoot ONLY molly coated bullets through it, then you will not have any copper fouling issue in that weapon? or are some of you saying, even with a molly coated BBL AND molly coated bullets, you will still get some copper fouling that will need to be cleaned? Or will you only get copper fouling on a molly coated BBL IF you shoot bare copper bullets through it?

Still haven't answered my question Steve? Can you or will you get copper fouling in a molly treated BBL even if you shoot molly coated bullets?thanks. biGjOhnA.K.A ForkedHorn

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users