Photo

FX 2000 .22 cal. PCP takes a prairie dog at 101 yards.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 12:29 PM

Hunting with PCP's is really fun. Here's a short story and a video clip of my FX 2000 taking a prairie dog at 101 yards. If interested, it can be viewed on my blog here: http://varmintair.ty...-101-yards.html
VarmintAir WebsiteAirgun Hunting the California Ground SquirrelVarmintAir's Airgun Hunting BlogDevoted to the sport of responsible varmint and small game hunting with Modern Adult Airguns

#2 Camoghost

Camoghost

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 12:47 PM

I love these videos.. I can't believe you can get a "pass through" at those ranges! Very cool!

#3 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,789 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 25 March 2010 - 02:18 PM

Excellent Shooting. Do you know the velocity you're getting?

Guns only have three enemies, Politicians, Ignorant Liberals and Rust.

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

#4 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 05:17 PM

Thanks, the conditions were definitely in my favor. I have the gun shooting the 18.1 JSB's at an average of 854 fps, at an extreme spread of only 23 fps. I had it shooting a little over 900 fps at one point, but the extreme spread was almost double. A large extreme spread is not your friend when shooting an airgun at long range, so I backed it down to 854 fps with the much lower extreme spread. Works great.
VarmintAir WebsiteAirgun Hunting the California Ground SquirrelVarmintAir's Airgun Hunting BlogDevoted to the sport of responsible varmint and small game hunting with Modern Adult Airguns

#5 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 25 March 2010 - 08:04 PM

Wow! I never would have thought that an air rifle could peg a critter at 100-yards and pass the round through the animal. Good shooting and a great video.
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." Winston Churchill

#6 Jerry

Jerry

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 12:30 AM

Once again, very nice shooting! My black Widow is the exact rifle config as yours and thus far my longest has been a black bird at 104yds with a 15.75MOA holdover from a 50 yd zero. You never cease to amaze me with the shots you make on a regular basis.Edit: an example of the power of these rifles: When I last shot into my duct-seal silent trap with the FX, it was at 126 yds, and it still had enough energy to pass through almost 3/4" thick duck seal at that range with the 18.1 gr JSB set at 895 fps,which is around 32 ft/lbs. Very capable rifles. Anything groundhog size within 50 yds I now consider a safe shot after seeing sch promising results. Nice shootin Cliff!
Keeping Illinois varmints in check as best I can!

#7 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 06:02 AM

Wow! I never would have thought that an air rifle could peg a critter at 100-yards and pass the round through the animal. Good shooting and a great video.

Like California Ground Squirrels, these guys are very soft bodied critters. It doesn't take much to penetrate to the vitals on these guys. Pass throughs are a given with this pellet, whether head shot, or heart lung shot, even at 100 yards. Drop down in pellet weight though, and that is no longer true at the longer ranges.

#8 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 06:06 AM

Once again, very nice shooting! My black Widow is the exact rifle config as yours and thus far my longest has been a black bird at 104yds with a 15.75MOA holdover from a 50 yd zero. You never cease to amaze me with the shots you make on a regular basis.Edit: an example of the power of these rifles: When I last shot into my duct-seal silent trap with the FX, it was at 126 yds, and it still had enough energy to pass through almost 3/4" thick duck seal at that range with the 18.1 gr JSB set at 895 fps,which is around 32 ft/lbs. Very capable rifles. Anything groundhog size within 50 yds I now consider a safe shot after seeing sch promising results. Nice shootin Cliff!

I agree. With proper shot placement, a 50 yard hog is in serious trouble. :signgreatreport3kg:

#9 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,481 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 26 March 2010 - 07:45 AM

Definitely not your pappy's BB gun! Nice shooting Cliff after all it doesn't matter so much the caliber if you can't hit the target. He was dead the minute you put him in the scope he just didn't know it yet. :signgreatreport3kg:

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#10 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 09:58 AM

Definitely not your pappy's BB gun! Nice shooting Cliff after all it doesn't matter so much the caliber if you can't hit the target. He was dead the minute you put him in the scope he just didn't know it yet. :signgreatreport3kg:

Don't often get conditions that will let me reach out much past 80 yards, but when they do cooperate, it's very challenging, and a ton of fun. :)

#11 THE KNOT

THE KNOT

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 01:20 PM

looks like theres power to spare nice shooting at that distance i would just watch vids are great love the slow mo

#12 DownRangeImpact

DownRangeImpact

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 06:15 AM

Cliff, what I like the most about your videos other than the precision, is that you do not say "Put the smack down on him," you don't laugh and say stupid things and you don't act like you scored a touchdown or hit a home run.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users