10 replies to this topic

#1 cj1026

cj1026

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 01:30 PM

So I recently got a new Tikka T3 Lite in .243.Ammo selection on the shelf kidda sucks right now. I got some Hornady 100gr. BTSP from Bass Pro. What I really wanted was some 58gr V-Max but I haven't been able to find jack.Well Bud's Gun Shop had 58gr V-Max Moly. So I bought 6 box's.Has anyone used the molly before? Is it an good? I bon't like the mess the moly it leaves in my .308.Could I pull the bullets and replace with 58gr V-Max non-moly bullets?

#2 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,168 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 07 May 2010 - 01:47 PM

I shot some moly handloads for a few years and stopped when I switched to Nosler BTs maybe 4-5 yrs ago. The moly phenomenon was a mixture of voodoo and science and I don't know for sure exactly what it did even though I shot hundreds of rounds of it. Some would swear by moly and others would swear at it. I would shoot the moly boxes you have and not go through the hassle of pulling 6 boxes of bullets. Moly is a little finicky. You will need to shoot it a while to get the barrel coated and accuracy will improve for a while. Eventually it will start to fall (probably not before you shoot all 120 rds though) and you will need to clean the barrel back dwon to metal and start the process over again when accuracy falls or at least that is what I did. I would do some bench rest shooting and compare the first groups with groups after 15 shots or so and see if they change. I can remember about 5 years ago when maybe half od the predator hunters would be using moly. I have not seen it used on the rifle range this year. I bet you will get a variety of stories on it.

I'm an airgunholic

#3 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,971 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 03:16 PM

If you have access to a tumbler, just dump em in for a while and the Media will remove the Moly, they wont be as shiney as regular bullets, but it will remove the Moly.
“Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that require every citizen to prove they are insured... but not everyone must prove they are a citizen.”

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,305 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 07 May 2010 - 03:25 PM

Moly attracts moisture too and can be more difficult to remove from your barrel.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#5 cj1026

cj1026

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 06:34 PM

Yeah I hate cleaning my barrel after a few rounds of moly coated bullets.Can I tumble loaded rpunds? Doesn't seem like it would be safe.

#6 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,168 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 07 May 2010 - 06:49 PM

I know folks that do it with FPs and pistol rounds - not sure about hard pointed bullets. One concern I have read with certain powders is a break up effect that changes burn rate.

I'm an airgunholic

#7 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,971 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 07:23 PM

I know folks that do it with FPs and pistol rounds - not sure about hard pointed bullets. One concern I have read with certain powders is a break up effect that changes burn rate.

I polish mine all the time after reloading. The reason I do is because of reading simple replies on this subject. How do the Loaded rounds arrive to the stores? Are they transported somehow in vibrationless containers? If not, then they probably get rattled around alot on the wy to the store. Using this Logic, I started tumbling my loads after reloading and havent seen a problem. I have read alot of threads on different forums and most were the same answer. Im not saying to leave em in overnight, but I doubt that it will hurt the rounds. BTW I have 50 I need to take out of the tumbler. Good Luck.
“Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that require every citizen to prove they are insured... but not everyone must prove they are a citizen.”

#8 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 07 May 2010 - 08:30 PM

If you have access to a tumbler, just dump em in for a while and the Media will remove the Moly, they wont be as shiney as regular bullets, but it will remove the Moly.

+1 :yikes[1]: In the past I got a couple good deals on some moly bullets that someone didn't like so I just tumbled the heck out of em and they worked just fine.

I polish mine all the time after reloading. The reason I do is because of reading simple replies on this subject. How do the Loaded rounds arrive to the stores? Are they transported somehow in vibrationless containers? If not, then they probably get rattled around alot on the wy to the store. Using this Logic, I started tumbling my loads after reloading and havent seen a problem. I have read alot of threads on different forums and most were the same answer. Im not saying to leave em in overnight, but I doubt that it will hurt the rounds. BTW I have 50 I need to take out of the tumbler. Good Luck.

+2 :lol: I do that too. Ammo stays looking nice for alot longer when you get all of the oils from your hands off of the cartridges.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#9 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,790 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 07 May 2010 - 09:05 PM

My brother gave me a 30-06 to sight in for him. He also gave me a box of cartridges in a leather carrier. They had been in there probably 20 years and by now were quite green. I tossed them in the tumbler, after wiping them down good with an old towel, and after a couple of hours they look like new cartridges. I would not have wanted to chamber one of them before doing this. They were nasty!
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#10 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 05:49 AM

Not that the bullets were loaded but, In 1990 I sold all my reloading gear in a yard sale and I found a box of speer 100gr bullets for the .243. They were nasty looking green lol, I tumbled them now they are brown/brass color. I don't know why I keep them I don't have a .243 anymore either but I due.
Freedom isn't free, It's paid for in blood! How wonderful, how marvelous is my Saviors love is for Me. He said that it's finished, the debt has been paid for in full.

#11 peeker seeker

peeker seeker

25-06 shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts
  • Interests:Grand kids, My dogs, My girls the rabbits and hens Hunting & fishing

Posted 12 September 2010 - 12:13 PM

Yeah I hate cleaning my barrel after a few rounds of moly coated bullets.Can I tumble loaded rpunds? Doesn't seem like it would be safe.

Pull the bullets first ,tumble and reseat them. Ive shot them in my 7mm mag I just would treet them like the rest . Thay shot real nice but I dont shoot that thang enough to mess with molly.
Reach out to are fury friends . Use a 25-06 If runs swims or flies ,IT CAN BE DEEP FRIED OR MADE INTO A PIE mmm mmmm ANIMALS IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER. Beeman air...25-06, 223, 7mm- 08 ,7mm Rem mag .Beaman 8 cats 0. Keeper of 2 Border Collie Heelers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users