• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 sxshooter

sxshooter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • Interests:sxs smallbore shotguns .410 in particular, bird dogs, aviation, BBQ, grilling, photography, red wines, craft beers

Posted 20 September 2012 - 04:37 AM

I wasn't looking for one, and I shoulda kept off the gun sites, but it's a done deal now.
Posted Image
http://www.gunbroker...?Item=303442025

It may just look like an old beat up gun to most folks here, but it's a fairly rare gun with enough following to carry a fairly hefty collectors premium. I've seen only 2 28" .410 Ithaca NID's for sale. I bought both. Both are ejector guns. Nearly all .410 Ithaca NIDs, or any other vintage American sxs (doublebarrel) maker from the early 20th century, were 26" barreled guns. The seller had priced this gun the same as most 26" extractor Ithaca .410 NID guns are selling for. A friend, Walt Snyder, that wrote the book about the Ithaca Gun Company, says they are very rare. http://www.amazon.co...aca+gun+company

In the NID model that was made between 1926 and 1948, only approx 924 were .410 of which 790 were field grade like this one. Various engraved "graded" guns were of extremely low production.

This gun was made in 1929 when Ithaca was in it's hayday. The company that carries the name today is a distant remnant of the original company after a number of closures and sales of the name.

This one is full/full choked and should make for a great hunting gun along side my other mod/cyl choked one.
It's not about how many, it's about how.
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog or gun

Maintain a balance of nature, use a beautiful gun when shooting a beautiful bird

#2 Mutt

Mutt

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 05:08 AM

Nice!
I love the old Ithica guns. I had a few over the years if I knew then what I know now lol.

If they came up with a vaccine for stupid the unemployment rate would go up - all them fine politicians would be outta work!

#3 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:02 AM

Congrats. I'm trying not to look at Gunbroker anymore. Dangerous

#4 TonyS

TonyS

Dog's driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts
  • Interests:Birds, deer, predators

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:04 AM

I love old Ithicas. That one looks like its gonna be fun.

#5 zippy1970

zippy1970

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:00 PM

Purdy , Purdy Purdy .

Andy

PS ,

I think SXS's are like crack .......

#6 Yateswell

Yateswell

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:11 PM

I shoulda kept off the gun sites

Why would you do that?

Congrats on your new purchase.

#7 sxshooter

sxshooter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • Interests:sxs smallbore shotguns .410 in particular, bird dogs, aviation, BBQ, grilling, photography, red wines, craft beers

Posted 21 September 2012 - 04:50 AM

Why would you do that?

Congrats on your new purchase.

I dunno why I'd do that. I suppose my wife really doesn't need a new kitchen. :crazy:

Maintain a balance of nature, use a beautiful gun when shooting a beautiful bird

#8 stephen722

stephen722

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 07:11 AM

nice looking shot gun, keep you busy awhile pertying it up? you keep buying you going to need a bigger truck

#9 sxshooter

sxshooter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 05:54 AM

Stephen,
I dunno if I'm going to do much if anything to it. We'll see. The collectable value is a pretty significant part of the value. What I do to it will be based on what others may have done to it before me. Most of these old Ithacas will have stocks refinished because the original varnish has flaked off.

#10 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,906 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Shooting.

Posted 23 September 2012 - 10:05 AM

Nice find.
Raith Heryford's Guide Service  Salmon, Trout & Steel Head | Striper, Sturgeon & Shad | Duck & Goose HuntingYuba /Sutter Northern CaliforniaCALL 530-870-2697 or emailQuit blowing on the Fur and get to the Hide.

#11 stephen722

stephen722

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 03:22 PM

you mean if you refinish the wood it may lose value? I noticed browning made the b-2000 in .410, how long you think it will take me to find one of those? have fun stephen

#12 sxshooter

sxshooter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 03:50 PM

Stephen,
If one of these guns that have much of their value based on collectability is in say 90% stock finish and 90% metal finish and someone refinishes it, the value would definitely drop in value. If it was done where the finishes weren't absolutely perfectly faithful to the orginal finish and the workmanship of the polishing/sanding rounded corners and any other discrepancies, yes, it would lower the value. How much is dependant on how different it is from the original. This particular gun might have been worth $10-12K if it was 100% condition, all original. As this one stands, I'm guessing some of the big dealers would ask $6-7k maybe more.

I dunno about a B2000. I know Remington 870s and 1099s (1100s always have one part broke :tease: ) are easy to find in .410. Hit the gun sites. Gunsinternational.com, Gunbroker, Gunsameraca, etc..

#13 stephen722

stephen722

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 03:05 PM

I got a 870 but have not tried to hunt with it yet, some times 12 guage is too easy!

#14 sxshooter

sxshooter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 04:34 PM

An 870 should be a fine hunting .410. Take it quail or dove hunting with some 7 1/2 or 6 shot in 3" shells to gain some confidence in the killing power. I think you'll see that a centered shot of a .410 will whack a bird hard.

#15 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:34 PM

A sub gauge NID..........SxS, have I ever told you how much I hate you? Lol!
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#16 sxshooter

sxshooter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 05:21 AM

Clamp,
LOL
That's number 3 in subgauge NIDs for me...4 if you count the Italian NID copy made from spare Ithaca Classic Doubles leftover parts (1990's era). 3 of them are .410s and one 20ga

My prettiest NID is the 20ga Grade 3, single trigger, ejector I had redone because it had a broken stock.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#17 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 01:12 PM

That's a beauty.

I have a nice little SKB Ithaca 20ga SxS. Probably my favorite quail gun.
ProStaff - ProStaff - Field Staff - I'm very important!

#18 StephLuvsHunting

StephLuvsHunting

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Camping, Hiking, Gold Panning, Beer, Fireball

Posted 26 September 2012 - 05:54 PM

Very nice :)

#19 sxshooter

sxshooter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:58 AM

The seller of the new .410 just called. It's going into overnight Express today from NC. I'm just itchin to see it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users