32 replies to this topic

#1 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,206 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 11:35 AM

I need a good clear scope for mu 17hmr savage rifle.Don't want to go over 200 in price.I am thinking mil dot so I can have it set for 100 yards and 150,200 and just use the dots for hold over.any idea'swhat do you guys feel about redfield scopes are the new ones junk?

#2 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,165 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 03 January 2011 - 11:39 AM

Here is what's on my Savage 17 SS heavy. It will do a 3/4" group at 100 yds with 17 gr HPs.http://www.opticspla...bnr-716185.html

I'm an airgunholic

#3 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,204 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 03 January 2011 - 11:45 AM

I like the Bushnell scope. No recoil from the rifle so it will work fine. I buy allot from B&H Photo and they have it a few dollars cheaper with free shipping too.http://www.bhphotovi...anner_Dusk.html

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#4 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 03 January 2011 - 11:45 AM

My uncle picked up one of the new Redfield Scopes and loves it. My brother got one recently and he loves it too. I was looking at it and it is a nice scope for around $150. I really like the recticle, the size of the scope, clarity through the lens, and how simple it looks. It's the next scope I plan on getting.

#5 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,165 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 03 January 2011 - 11:49 AM

BH is a great place. That's $5 towards my next scope...Found a pictureAttached File  1.jpg   18.79KB   20 downloads

I'm an airgunholic

#6 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,204 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 12:00 PM

Adorama another place I've delt with many times has this Bushnell Banner 6-24 with a mildot for $110.http://www.adorama.com/BS716244.html

Time waits for no one--

#7 Pogo

Pogo

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 01:17 PM

I did a .17 HMR for a guy this winter Savage w/heavy Stainless barrel. Put a Nikon Buckmaster 6-18x40mm SF scope on it. I have one of the same scopes on a .223, both mil dot. It is a very nice scope, but overkill for a .17. I'm going to try and talk him into buying a different scope so I can buy the Buckmaster back off of it, need a scope for a .220 swift.I don't think a guy really needs a mildot on a .17 HMR. It shoots pretty flat out to a little past 100 yards, out to 150 just aim at the top of the head on squirrels. Past that and a .17 is not accurate enough or stable enough in the wind to need 'hold over' points. I find they are distracting as well.I have a Mueller APV on my .17 HMR, which I can't say enough good things about. 4.5-14x40mm, which seems to me to be the perfect range for a .17. Good clear glass, good warranty. Just a good buy all around for a rimfire gun. I actually have an extra, NIB I could sell you if this other guy doesn't take it. Or, just order from this guy, free shipping anyway and the cheapest price around on them, $115.http://www.windwalke...p?idproduct=785
"I grew up poor. It's the people who are born with money who jump out of windows."---Lee TrevinoDo NOT spread my wealth. Spread my work ethic.Four out of five politicians surveyed prefer unarmed, ignorant peasants.Many people imply, with bad jokes, that Cajuns are unintelligent; however, anyone that would build a city 10 feet below sea level in a Hurricane zone and fill it with Democrats is a genius.

#8 dirtgimp

dirtgimp

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 03:50 PM

I put a BSA sweet 17 on mine and it works great.not a highend scope but does the trick for me.

#9 CaseyU

CaseyU

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, being outdoors, hanging with my family and friends

Posted 03 January 2011 - 05:23 PM

Look at the swift line! very clear and durable! and many models. and some great sales!!!

#10 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,206 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 10:18 PM

The banner might not be bad. I have also been looking at the Nikon pro staff's and hawks line up ............................pogo most of my shot's are 100 yards or so.I have noticed if you get out there the bullet sure drops a lot and sometimes I get them held up at 200 I like shooting from out side the pasture fence so my shots very.How do you guys feel about the Adjustable Objective scopes I don't like messing with them myself.

#11 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 04 January 2011 - 08:54 PM

I put a Cabela's Pine Ridge Tactical 17 scope on one of my Savage 93TR's. I have the 6-18x40 and it's pretty clear also. What I like about it is the marked turrets. Zero it in at 100yds and you're set. I've used it to take squirrels out to over 200yds now and the turret marks are almost dead on. As long as you know the distance to target, adjust the turret to the yardage and let her rip. It also returns to zero (100yds) with no problems. Nice scope for well under $200.
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain

#12 DirtyDave

DirtyDave

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 10:02 PM

^^^+1We put the Cabelas tactical 17 scope on my Dads 17HMR. Works great for a great price.I liked it so I put their Big Game Tactical scope on my Mosin Sporter.
Hic Ego Statio

#13 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 05 January 2011 - 07:48 AM

Hawke has just come out with their new Varmint II line of scopes and RedHunterLLC has the best pricing on all of them. See them here.I just mounted one on my new .204 AR build and they are very nice, side focus, within your budget scopes.
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." Winston Churchill

#14 Handy Smurf

Handy Smurf

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Interests:Air gunsmithing, custom scope mounts, pest control hunting, quail hunting, reloading sailing, alpine skiing, and inventing.

Posted 19 November 2011 - 01:28 AM

The banner might not be bad. I have also been looking at the Nikon pro staff's and hawks line up ............................pogo most of my shot's are 100 yards or so.I have noticed if you get out there the bullet sure drops a lot and sometimes I get them held up at 200 I like shooting from out side the pasture fence so my shots very.How do you guys feel about the Adjustable Objective scopes I don't like messing with them myself.

I really like the AO scopes. It is a lot easier to shoot accurately if you can eliminate parallax error by adjusting the objective lens for the distance you are shooting to. After using one for a while, you will get used to adjusting it quickly.

#15 seebass

seebass

Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting, Arm Wrestling, Camping and Cooking

Posted 22 November 2011 - 09:57 PM

I use a tasco varminter AO 6x24x42.... I think I paid $99 for it. Works awesome, no complaints.

#16 'Ike'

'Ike'

Predator

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts
  • Interests:Bowhunting, Upland birds with my Labs and Shooting...

Posted 02 December 2011 - 10:36 PM

DG, any problem with getting it set up...Just picked one up myself!OpticPlanet for me...Great prices and free shipping, that and if you call them they'll give you the best price they can.http://www.opticspla...CFQmAhwoda0XHpQ
17HMR, .22Cal, 22WMR & .223 - Don't run, it only excites me... :smiley-outta-here:

#17 'Ike'

'Ike'

Predator

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts
  • Interests:Bowhunting, Upland birds with my Labs and Shooting...

Posted 10 December 2011 - 11:24 PM

Well, didn't like it so back it went...Put my Nikon Monarch 2.5-10 on it and off we go! :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:
17HMR, .22Cal, 22WMR & .223 - Don't run, it only excites me... :smiley-outta-here:

#18 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,206 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 10:34 AM

I ended up putting a simmons 4x14x40 on it not the best scope out there for sure but i killed 4 coyotes and a few dozen squirrels with it.I didn't hit the squirrels that hard this past summer.

#19 packhorse9

packhorse9

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Interests:pigs, turkey,varmints, 4 wheeling, motorcycles, classic cars. target shooting,

Posted 24 December 2011 - 11:22 AM

I have Mueller 4.5 x 16's on 2, 17 mach 2s and on a 17HMR and really like them only used leupold scopes in the past Mueller seems to be equal in perfprmance but I have not used 1 on a rifle with high recoil.. Dave

#20 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Interests:I am a shooter first and then a hunter. I shoot competitively, most recently in the American Single Shot Association. I have also shot Cowboy action, Silhoettes,etc.. I like to build guns as a hobby.

Posted 24 December 2011 - 05:16 PM

Ive been using these for awhile.http://www.sportsman...k.aspx?a=691423I got them out of a return bin after christmas a couple of years ago. My thought at the time was that if I did not like them they would look great on the grandkids BB guns. but so far they have worked great. the things I dont like about them havent been an issue on ground squirrel guns. What I dont likeIm not wild about mildots. I prefer a fine wire.Its not very clear in low light conditions. But my ground squirrel shoots are mostly durring mid day sunny conditionsand at least to my eyes the AO distances are not correct. The good things areThey have heald zero with no needed adjustments.the tracking systems worked as well as my more expencive scopes.and they have a 40mm front lense. I didnt need higher rings to mount them. Those that I have I only paid just under $6 each for, but they are as good as any under $100 scope Ive used. they are as clear as my early 1970s Leopolds, and Weavers. DR

#21 Hot Brass

Hot Brass

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 10:34 PM

If you live near a WalMart, the Center Point 4-16x40 Mildot scopes are one of the best bang for the buck out there.

#22 Shan M.

Shan M.

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 03:06 PM

Shooter John and Brant,What mount are you guys using to set up those 50mm objectives? I have the Bushnell banner 6-18x50 and a CZ453 varmint in 17hmr thats begging for it but my burris signature high rings are just not high enough!The gun has the 3/8" dovetail. Any help is appreciated.

#23 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,204 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 03:47 PM

I use Leupold mounts on most of my rifles because they are easiest to get.

Time waits for no one--

#24 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Interests:I am a shooter first and then a hunter. I shoot competitively, most recently in the American Single Shot Association. I have also shot Cowboy action, Silhoettes,etc.. I like to build guns as a hobby.

Posted 27 December 2011 - 03:58 PM

Shooter John and Brant,What mount are you guys using to set up those 50mm objectives? I have the Bushnell banner 6-18x50 and a CZ453 varmint in 17hmr thats begging for it but my burris signature high rings are just not high enough!The gun has the 3/8" dovetail. Any help is appreciated.

Posted ImageThe rifle on top has the highest rings I could find. I got envited to a smallbore silhoette match and needed all the extra hight I coud get to bring the line of sight up correctly for that stock. But they would also work for big lenses. they are see thru, or sight thru by Shooters Choice. I think I found them at Wallmart. they are about 3/8" taller than high rimfire rings. the other thing you could do is use a Weaver adapter rail. it clamps onto the 3/8" rail and then uses Weaver rings. or you could put spacers under the mount [if yours unbolts Im not familure with the new CZs]. and then use longer screws. DR

#25 Shan M.

Shan M.

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 04:24 PM

dangerranger, thanks for the tip. I was thinking about that as an option.Shooterjohn are the high leupold rings high enough for the 50mm objective? the bull barrell on the CZ and the AO really make it a tight fit. Thanks again!

#26 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,204 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 04:47 PM

The high rings should work just fine.

Time waits for no one--

#27 KNOCKED UP

KNOCKED UP

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,651 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, archery,Reloading.
    Harley Davidson Motorcycles, and good people
    RETIRED

Posted 27 December 2011 - 05:17 PM

I have a bushnell 6-18x50 on my savage 17 hmr.Not real expensive, lots of light. Best to have a bi pod with this set up.Tom

Life on earth is temporary, Choose your destiny Wisely.

#28 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 09:28 PM

I use Leupold mounts on most of my rifles because they are easiest to get.

Do you find them localy? or order them in? Ive not found any place in Fresno that carries them in 3/8" for a rimfire. Leupold makes a good solid mount if you can find them. DR

#29 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,204 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 09:51 PM

I used to get them in town but have to order them now that the store I frequented closed.

Time waits for no one--

#30 Shan M.

Shan M.

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 08:56 AM

im going to take my rifle & scope down to the gun store and see which rings will work instead of buying online and hoping. THanks for the replies gents

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users