• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 rws fan

rws fan

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Interests:My kids, shootin' stuff, hunting, hiking, scenic beaches, weather, running, imported beer, science, technology, fast cars, fast women, guns etc.

Posted 24 November 2011 - 06:36 PM

I decided to go shooting this morning since my sister had picked up my kids and gone to my parents house where I would later be going for Thanksgiving dinner. My friend had gone to Hawaii for the holiday and asked me to come over when ever I could to look after her property (where I go shooting) while she was away. So I decided to head over get the keys.My mission when I got there was to get me a jack-rabbit with my newly acquired .25 M-rod. Right when I got to my shooting grounds I saw a jack-rabbit bolt on to the neighboring property so I knew they were out and about. Next thing I did when i arrived was put out a target at 50 yards to check my zero on both my .22 and .25 marauders. After that I set out to look for a jack-rabbit w/ my .25. While out in the brush I saw 2 jack-rabbits, a cotton-tail and a coyote. I couldn't get a shot off on any since they just bolted when the saw me. I tried stalking them but was unsuccessful...Upon coming back to my friends property, I noticed a jack right under a scrub oak trying his hardest to not move and remain camouflaged with his surrounding when he saw me. I looked through my range-finder and saw that he was at 65 yards, so I put my m-rod on my shooting sticks, put the second mil-dot right at his neck (couldn't get head shot) and squeezed the trigger. I heard the impact of the pellet and off he runs like a deer when being shot. I really hoped I would find him since i knew i got a solid hit. I kept my eye on him, saw exactly where he had gone and saw that he managed to not get very far when i got down to him. I went about 15 yards from impact and there he was...my first kill with my .25 m-rod. I was so excited when I found him. I had always given them a pass before but when I got my .25, I knew that would be my first target. Anyways, Happy Thanksgiving!HenryPosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#2 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,782 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 25 November 2011 - 09:39 AM

Cool looking air blaster. Thats a nice fat rabbit. :bleh[1]:
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#3 rws fan

rws fan

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Interests:My kids, shootin' stuff, hunting, hiking, scenic beaches, weather, running, imported beer, science, technology, fast cars, fast women, guns etc.

Posted 25 November 2011 - 10:42 AM

Cool looking air blaster. Thats a nice fat rabbit. :bleh[1]:

Thanks! I don't post very often, but I have been doing a lot of hunting lately and taking lots of pics too. Which I will be posting since I don't see very many people posting about airgun hunting..Henry

#4 acousticmood

acousticmood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 04:52 PM

Nicely done! I'm shopping for a .25 right now. That's a nice kill at 65 yards.Nice refreshments too!

#5 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,798 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 26 November 2011 - 07:46 PM

I saw that too, but I don't think alcohol of any kind mixes with guns of any kind, ever! Even target shooting. Just easier to be safe not mixing.
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#6 rws fan

rws fan

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 10:35 PM

I took 2 bottles that were left over from the night before. I was feeling a little under the weather so I was hoping the beer made me feel better which it did along with a couple bottles water. I hardly ever drink anymore that's why I had a little hangover. My friend had come over the night before with some beer after just getting in from VA so I couldn't say no.. thanks for your concern,Henry

#7 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,912 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Shooting.

Posted 27 November 2011 - 09:13 AM

Nice set up. Did you print and make your drop charts on your scope covers or is there a program that makes them that way? I would like to see a close up picture of one. How much info was you able to get on there.
Raith Heryford's Guide Service  Salmon, Trout & Steel Head | Striper, Sturgeon & Shad | Duck & Goose HuntingYuba /Sutter Northern CaliforniaCALL 530-870-2697 or emailQuit blowing on the Fur and get to the Hide.

#8 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 27 November 2011 - 10:42 AM

Guns and whiskey?

I'm an airgunholic

#9 rws fan

rws fan

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 12:07 PM

Nice set up. Did you print and make your drop charts on your scope covers or is there a program that makes them that way? I would like to see a close up picture of one. How much info was you able to get on there.

I made those drop charts using Chairgun pro, available for free at hawkeoptics.com, they even have a free iphone app. They are very easy to make, you just need to enter basic info about your gun; you will also need a chronograph. I put extra info on them like pellet type, average speed and fill pressure.Here is the best picture I could find of the chart on my .22 marauder, you can make it any size diameter too. Posted Image

#10 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,842 posts
  • Interests:I've got so many I couldn't list them all. :)

Posted 27 November 2011 - 07:22 PM

Nice job there! That's a good looking jack rabbit and at 65 yards that .25 Marauder gave it a good SMACK! I should be getting mine sometime next week too. Your gun looks real nice. Did you coat the stock with something or is it just a black spray can type of paint? I think it looks pretty cool! Thanks for the post and I look forward to seeing more. ;)

#11 rws fan

rws fan

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 09:17 PM

Thanks for the kind words. I bought the stock off the yellow classified for a good deal, it's just painted black with a couple coats of clear. I didn't really like the one that came with it. The guy before shaved it down to reduce weight and sprayed it with truck bedliner in a can. I got the rifle for a great price because of his mods.I actually like the black a lot. I'm going to re-do my .22 m-rod and my .20 Diana M48 in black with some stuff I bought tonight. ;)

#12 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,842 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 08:51 AM

For a spray paint job, I must say you did a good job on it. It looks like a good, even finish and very professional. :signs1242cn: I'm planning on painting the stock on my .25 M-Rod too because it's a used one and the stock has some nicks and scratches on it. I'll probably try to make it look like a cross between desert camo and dry grass with chapparal or sage brush colors streaking across the base color (since most of the places I hunt look like the "Advantage Max-1" camo pattern I want to try and get a similar pattern on my gun). I also may just purchase some of the gun wrap in a camo pattern and try that first. Anything to help the gun blend in to the surroundings instead of stand out. I'll have to do some experimentation with the paints before actually applying it to the stock. I only want to do it one time (which means no mistakes). ;) You'll have to post pictures of your other hunts soon :signs1180lq: . So far the last four times I've been out by myself (mainly scouting for a good spot) the only thing I've seen are lots of deer tracks, a few pig tracks, lots of doe deer (some big ones too), a bobcat and a lot of little birds (nothing I wanted to shoot though). So I don't have anything but some pictures of the areas and somewhat dissappointing results. I've been looking for a few good cottontail and jack rabbits spots down here where I live (near San Diego), but so far all of the rabbits seem to be on private property (the ones I've seen anyway). So my search continues for a good, productive spot. Anyway, enough of my rambling... :signgreatreport3kg:

#13 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,284 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 11:32 AM

So where is the graphic part?I don't think one beer while shooting an air rifle is a big deal .Is an air rifle really a real rifle.............. :huh:

#14 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,502 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 30 November 2011 - 01:40 PM

I don't think one beer while shooting an air rifle is a big deal .Is an air rifle really a real rifle.............. :huh:

This is from yesterdays news. Boy killed with pellet gun.http://blogs.sacbee....identified.html

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#15 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,284 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 06:03 PM

If you hit someone with a rock you can kill them to but I wouldn't consider them dangerous weapons.I know the higher end air rifles are powerful but drinking a few beers and shooting them is not a big deal.When is the last time a person robbed a bank with a air :huh:

#16 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 30 November 2011 - 06:11 PM

All of the large game in North America has been taken many times very effectively with an airgun. They can be dangerous weapons.http://www.quackenbushairguns.com/

I'm an airgunholic

#17 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,842 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 07:07 PM

I know I wouldn't want to get hit by any of them (even the .177). I've seen what they do to flesh when they hit, especially the bigger bore air rifles (like the Rogue and Sumatra). Those will make a big mess! :huh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users