#1 rimfire

rimfire

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 03:26 PM

Hi All,
Newbe to the form. I am trying to decide on a PCP. I have pretty much narrowed it down to two. The HW 100 FSB and the Benjamin Marauder both in 22 cal. Big difference in price between the two. Nothing but great comments about the HW 100 FSB and about 90% great comments about the Marauder. One comment that has bothered me regarding the Marauder is its magazine. The tester mentioned that he had recieved a test gun from Crosman. He was wondering why they sent him and extra magazine. He stated that after reloading the first magazine five times it broke on him he then went to the second one and the same thing happened. Has anybody had any problems with their Marauder magazines?

#2 KNOCKED UP

KNOCKED UP

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,914 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, archery,Reloading.
    Harley Davidson Motorcycles, and good people
    RETIRED

Posted 15 October 2012 - 04:27 AM

I don't know anything about air rifles Rimfire, but welcome to the forum.
Tom

#3 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts
  • Interests:I've got so many I couldn't list them all. :)

Posted 15 October 2012 - 11:09 AM

rimfire, welcome to the forum.

Concerning your question about the Rotarty Magazine for the Benjamin Marauder, I wouldn't worry about it. I haven't had problems with any of my rotary magazines. I have (3) in .22 for my .22 cal Marauder Rifle, (4) for my .25 cal Marauder Rifle and (6) for my (2) Marauder Pistol Carbines. I use them allot and none of them have ever failed me.

I know the video you are referring too. It is the one Rick Eutsler of AirgunWeb did reviewing the Marauder. It could be that during the testing he did something to the magazine that caused it to fail. If you don't abuse them they won't usually fail and if they do, they aren't difficult to fix.

If you plan on a .22 cal Marauder I would recommend you order (2) extra rotary clips since with a typical tune you can get three full (10) shot clips with a good power curve out of the rifle before needing to refill the reservior again. The clips cost around $12 to $13, so if you can afford it I always recommend having extras so that you don't have to refill one clip over and over again. :)

#4 rimfire

rimfire

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 12:03 PM

I don't know anything about air rifles Rimfire, but welcome to the forum.
Tom

Thanks BigShooter for the response. BTW great avatar.

#5 rimfire

rimfire

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 12:14 PM

rimfire, welcome to the forum.

Concerning your question about the Rotarty Magazine for the Benjamin Marauder, I wouldn't worry about it. I haven't had problems with any of my rotary magazines. I have (3) in .22 for my .22 cal Marauder Rifle, (4) for my .25 cal Marauder Rifle and (6) for my (2) Marauder Pistol Carbines. I use them allot and none of them have ever failed me.

I know the video you are referring too. It is the one Rick Eutsler of AirgunWeb did reviewing the Marauder. It could be that during the testing he did something to the magazine that caused it to fail. If you don't abuse them they won't usually fail and if they do, they aren't difficult to fix.

If you plan on a .22 cal Marauder I would recommend you order (2) extra rotary clips since with a typical tune you can get three full (10) shot clips with a good power curve out of the rifle before needing to refill the reservior again. The clips cost around $12 to $13, so if you can afford it I always recommend having extras so that you don't have to refill one clip over and over again. :)

Thanks for the reply Air Rifle Hunter. That was very helpful info. Do you find that you use the 25 cal more than the 22 cal for hunting? Does the weight of the Mrod get old after awhile? Which do you find more accurate and are they all stock rifles?
Also how do you find the noise level of the 25 cal vs the 22 cal, say on a scale of 1 to 10, how would you rate each? I was tending towards the 22 cal as I cannot find any 25 cal nonlead ammo, but for hunting I think a 25 cal would be better. Does that sound reasonable?
Yup, that was the video that planted the seed in my mind about the magazines.

#6 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts
  • Interests:Hunting anything above or below the water. Kayaking, Backpacking, Scuba, Surfing, anything outdoors.

Posted 15 October 2012 - 01:17 PM

Rimfire
I have a marauder in .22 with two magazines and have not had any problem with mine.
I seem to remember when they first came out that there was some sort of issue with the marauders rotary clips. I believe Tom gaylord mentioned it in one of his blogs. I have not seen the video that wad mentioned but I would be curious as to when it was made and if that was one of the early production guns or even one of the demo prototypes.
Bottom line is I believe all the bugs have been worked out of the marauder by now so they are a great buy in any caliber.
Oh and my .22 cal is real quiet. All you hear is the striker hitting the valve to release the compressed air. Not much more than a quiet "ping"

#7 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 02:34 PM

Thanks for the reply Air Rifle Hunter. That was very helpful info. Do you find that you use the 25 cal more than the 22 cal for hunting? Does the weight of the Mrod get old after awhile? Which do you find more accurate and are they all stock rifles?
Also how do you find the noise level of the 25 cal vs the 22 cal, say on a scale of 1 to 10, how would you rate each? I was tending towards the 22 cal as I cannot find any 25 cal nonlead ammo, but for hunting I think a 25 cal would be better. Does that sound reasonable?
Yup, that was the video that planted the seed in my mind about the magazines.

Here's is a breakdown of what I use my Marauders for:

.22 Caliber Marauder Pistol:
Best Pellet: H&N Field Target Trophy in 5.53 Diameter
Optimal Fill Pressure: 2500 PSI
Average Number of Usable Shots: 24 (Three clips/magazines)
Average FPS (with H&N Pellet) out of the Box: Low = 613FPS and High = 642FPS
Noise Level: 2 (with 1 being low and 5 being high)
Best Uses: Small game and small to medium sized game birds (where legal) out to about 30 to 35 yards (sometimes out to 40 yards).
Information: I've used my .22 Marauder Cabine Pisol to hunt Cottontails and pesky Ground Squirrels. My longest kill shots so far are between 15 and 50 yards with great accuracy (once I learned my hold, trigger pull, breathing, etc.). With my out of the box tune my two pistol carbines are slightly different, but the one I use has a starting velocity of 618 with a peak velocity around my 15th shot being 642FPS and by my 24th shot the velocity is back to 613FPS. The most accurate ranges are between 0 and 40 yards once you get used to firing the pistol in carbine configuration.

.22 Caliber Marauder Rifle:
Best Pellet: JSB Jumbo Exact Heavy (18.1 grain)
Optimal Fill Pressure: Depends on tune (mine is tuned for a 2900PSI fill pressure)
Average Number of Usable Shots: 30 (Three clips/magazines)
Average FPS (with JSB Pellet) out of the Box: Low = Anywhere from 830 to 850 depending on tune / High = Anywhere from 850 and higher depending on tune (I wouldn't tune to shoot JSB 18.1 pellet any faster than 900FPS)
Noise Level: 2 to 3 depending on if you deping it or not (with 1 being low and 5 being high)
Best Uses: Small game and small to larger sized game birds (where legal) out to about 50 to 75 yards (sometimes out to 100 yards, but that depends on the shooter and accuracy the shooter can obtain).
Information: I've used my .22 Marauder Rifle to hunt Quail, Cottontails, Jack Rabbits and pesky Ground Squirrels. My longest kill shots so far are between 80 and 90 yards with great accuracy (once I learned my hold, trigger pull, breathing, etc.). With my current tune my starting velocity is 855 and at the peak of my power curve my peak velocity is 885 around my 16th shot, then it tapers back down to 855 by my 30th shot. The most accurate ranges are between 0 and 75 yards once you get used to firing the rifle.

.25 Caliber Marauder Rifle:
Best Pellet: JSB Exact King (25.4 grain)
Optimal Fill Pressure: Depends on tune (mine is tuned for a 3200PSI fill pressure)
Average Number of Usable Shots: 16 (Two clips/magazines)
Average FPS (with JSB King Pellet) out of the Box: Low = Anywhere from 800 to 840 depending on tune / High = Anywhere from 830 and higher depending on tune (I wouldn't tune to shoot JSB 25.4 pellet any faster than 910FPS)
Noise Level: 2 to 3 depending on if you deping it or not (with 1 being low and 5 being high)
Best Uses: Small game and small to larger sized game birds (where legal) out to about 50 to 75 yards (sometimes out to 100 yards, but that depends on the shooter and accuracy the shooter can obtain).
Information: I've used my .25 Marauder Rifle to hunt Cottontails, Jack Rabbits and pesky Ground Squirrels. My longest kill shots so far are between 80 and 100 yards with great accuracy (once I learned my hold, trigger pull, breathing, etc.). With my current tune my starting velocity is 880FPS and around the 8th shot it peaks at 905PFS and by the 16th shot my velocity is back down to 880 FPS. The most accurate ranges are between 0 and 75 yards once you get used to firing the rifle.

As far as not finding any .25 cal ammo you won't find it locally. And for .22 cal, don't purchase the stuff from your local Big 5 or Wally World, it will not shoot accurately past 20 yards and will just frustrate you. Go to PyramydAir dot com and order your pellets from there. They may seem pricey because they are imported, but there is better quality control and if you purchase 3 tins of pellets you get one free (always). If you want to know which is my favorite, I would have to say the .25 Marauder Rifle. With a Shroud Extension from Talon Tunes it is almost as quiet as the .22 or just as quiet. Only the impact is louder. The takedown power is greater and it beats out the .22 in accuracy too. I almost always take my .25 into the field when hunting rabbits and jacks, even quail and ground squirrels. If I'm doing pest control then I'll grab my .22 Marauder Rifle because the ammo is less expensive per pellet. If I need to be low profile and not draw attention to myself around the house shooting gophers and such, I'll grab the .22 Marauder Pistol.

I'll just end it with you can't go wrong with the .25 Marauder as long as you aren't trying to use it in a small yard of a crowded neighborhood. If your hunting in a forest or BLM land you will be happy you have the .25 Marauder. I don't know if this information will help, but I tried to break it down for you as best I could.

#8 rimfire

rimfire

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 07:10 PM

Thanks Mackeralboy. Yes I think that was an old video. Probably when the Marauders first came out.

#9 rimfire

rimfire

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 07:29 PM

Thanks again Air Rifle Hunter. Your information was very helpful and organized in a terrific way. Based on that information it doesn't seem like a person would be ahead of the game by getting a higher end air rifle. I was thinking on an HW100, but after reading this it doesn't seem like a good idea as the marauder would be just fine. Your trigger pull, breathing and hold must be spot on to connect at 1000 yards. Damn that is good shooting. Just kidding I know it was a typo, -------if it wasn't then double damn! As far as Pyramid Air is concerned they did seem a bit pricey on their items but I have read many good reports about them.
I was browsing varmintair.com blog and he speaks very highly of the Marauder pistol. He is having pure fun with it. I think the 25 cal would best suit my purposes for now. It shouldn't take too long to get squared away and hopefully I can have something to post. Thanks again.

#10 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:30 AM

Your trigger pull, breathing and hold must be spot on to connect at 1000 yards. Damn that is good shooting. Just kidding I know it was a typo, -------if it wasn't then double damn!

Oops! :1087: Yes... that was a typo and I edited it to correctly show 100 yards. If I was hitting stuff at 1000 yards I would definitely be rock steady on the sticks! B) I would agree that for the money the Benjamin Marauder is a fine platform for getting into PCP airgunning and I'm glad I own mine. If you get one and have any questions regarding it, just post something here and the other M-Rod owners and myself will do what we can to help out with any issues that may arise. I've fully disassembled a few used ones that I purchased and refurbished myself to sell, so I've seem most of the parts and will help where I can. :)

#11 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,660 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:37 AM

I have one in .22 caliber and have two mags for it. Neither of the mags have given me any trouble.

#12 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts
  • Interests:Bass fishing,Kayaking,Airgun hunting

Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:47 AM

I don't use my maurader .25 magazines. I prefer the single shot tray as I feel the rifle is more accurate loading 'single shot'.

The mags work ok,but my fear is the spring will weaken over time and cause jams.....jmo,of course...

#13 rimfire

rimfire

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 08:22 AM

If you get one and have any questions regarding it, just post something here and the other M-Rod owners and myself will do what we can to help out with any issues that may arise. I've fully disassembled a few used ones that I purchased and refurbished myself to sell, so I've seem most of the parts and will help where I can. :)

Thanks Air Rifle Hunter. I will probably need help if I start tinkering. I have reasonable mechanicl ability but am in no way a mechanical egineer! Based on what I have been reading if I get a marauder I will probably install a depinger, which on youtube looked pretty straight forward, and a regulator which I am in the dark about. Also I am talking to Jim Gaska, Marmot Militia, regarding a drop in Lothar Walther barrel. That would probably cover most all my shooting needs in this area. I do a lot of Black Powder silhouette shooting and cast my own and I am almost obsessive on accuracy and related to hunting I like the projectile to go where I can put it for a clean shot or kill.

#14 rimfire

rimfire

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 08:43 AM

I don't use my maurader .25 magazines. I prefer the single shot tray as I feel the rifle is more accurate loading 'single shot'.

The mags work ok,but my fear is the spring will weaken over time and cause jams.....jmo,of course...

Thanks Crazyhorse.

I have one in .22 caliber and have two mags for it. Neither of the mags have given me any trouble.

Thanks Shooter John.

#15 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 11:17 AM

Thanks Air Rifle Hunter. I will probably need help if I start tinkering. I have reasonable mechanicl ability but am in no way a mechanical egineer! Based on what I have been reading if I get a marauder I will probably install a depinger, which on youtube looked pretty straight forward, and a regulator which I am in the dark about. Also I am talking to Jim Gaska, Marmot Militia, regarding a drop in Lothar Walther barrel. That would probably cover most all my shooting needs in this area. I do a lot of Black Powder silhouette shooting and cast my own and I am almost obsessive on accuracy and related to hunting I like the projectile to go where I can put it for a clean shot or kill.

You can do the regulator, but all the posts I've read on regulators in airgun forums makes me not want to install one in my Marauders. In almost all instances it lowers the FPS and doesn't really gain that many more usuable shots (at least in the .22 and .25 calibers). I've done some research and have decided that I don't want to even go that route. Concerning the Lothar Walther barrel, I've also read posts on guys who have had them installed in both .22 and .25 Marauders. The very minute increase in accuracy does not seem worth the added expense (IMHO). The Green Mountain Barrels that are on the .25 are already pretty darn accurate. In the end it comes down to the right pellet choice and the ability of the shooter to obtain the best accuracy in my experience with the .25 Marauder.

Just as a suggestion, do the depinger, get some JSB Exact King 25.4 grain, .25 caliber pellets and shoot it. Get used to the rifle and it's nuances before you add the extra expense of a regulator and new barrel. I've gotten to where I can get a 1/2" grouping at 75 yards with my .25 Marauder on a good day (that's an eight shot group) with the stock barrel. You'll also find that certain pellets have better accuracy at lower or higher velocities.

Anyway, it's a free country (at least semi-free for now) and you can do whatever you like :) , I just thought I'd mention those items in case you get a one hole-er right out of the box (it does happen). Let us know what happens. :popcorn: ;)

#16 rimfire

rimfire

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 07:12 AM

Just as a suggestion, do the depinger, get some JSB Exact King 25.4 grain, .25 caliber pellets and shoot it. Get used to the rifle and it's nuances before you add the extra expense of a regulator and new barrel. I've gotten to where I can get a 1/2" grouping at 75 yards with my .25 Marauder on a good day (that's an eight shot group) with the stock barrel. You'll also find that certain pellets have better accuracy at lower or higher velocities.

Anyway, it's a free country (at least semi-free for now) and you can do whatever you like :) , I just thought I'd mention those items in case you get a one hole-er right out of the box (it does happen). Let us know what happens. :popcorn: ;)

Good advice! I especially like the part that states to get used to the gun before making any mods to it. That I will definitely do.

As far as a free country is concerned lets just hope it can be restored in Nov. :flag:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users