12 replies to this topic

#1 RLS

RLS

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 06:59 PM

Attached File  1.jpg   13.66KB   33 downloadsAttached File  2.jpg   13.09KB   34 downloadsAttached File  3.jpg   12.36KB   38 downloadsAttached File  4.jpg   16.77KB   34 downloadsI spent a good part of the day helping a friend with this goat. It is a lot of fun watching it come together. If any one complains about what it cost for taxidermy work you should watch what it takes. He has about 40 hours into this goat so far. He will spend 15 - 20 more. The the rock will come and that will take a few more.

#2 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 07:30 PM

Pretty cool to see it come together.

#3 Soreloser

Soreloser

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Interests:Anything Archery and of course my 22-250 vs. coyotes..

Posted 09 September 2006 - 07:30 PM

That's pretty awesome to see. I was just at the Taxidermist last week dropping off my Bear and he still had at least 25 deer to do from last year. It's a time consuming process..Thanks
Tim LewisFoxPro Prostaff

#4 RLS

RLS

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 08:26 PM

My friend does it for a side job. I think he must make about $4.50 per hour. He does it for the fun not the money. Every time he starts a big project he says he is going to charge more next time.He has about 8 pigs on his wall and a great coyote. If I remember I will try to get a picture of his coyote. He is the one that got me interested in varmint hunting.

#5 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,481 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 09 September 2006 - 09:05 PM

That's pretty neat getting to help out and watching it come together. Lots of things involved in that sort of work.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#6 Bozsik

Bozsik

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
  • Interests:Having fun with my Wife and Kids, Hunting, Camping, Wildlife Photography, Woodworking, and Illustration.

Posted 10 September 2006 - 10:12 AM

I spent a good part of the day helping a friend with this goat. It is a lot of fun watching it come together. If any one complains about what it cost for taxidermy work you should watch what it takes. He has about 40 hours into this goat so far. He will spend 15 - 20 more.

It is very time consuming now, but when I taught a class in taxidermy about 28 years go, they din't have all of the preformed molds and foam casting to build off of. You had to construct the body from the measurments you had taken from the body of the animal. In some ways, I think it was a bit better because the finished mount was more precisely the size of the orignal carcass.db
TALK STRAIGHT, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND KEEP THE MAGAZINE LOADED.ORANGEVALE,CA

#7 Fishwrestler

Fishwrestler

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Interests:I am an Avid fisherman who would like to spend more time Varmint and Predator hunting. Trying to fit in all the hobbies with two young kids is a challenge.

Posted 10 September 2006 - 03:11 PM

great pics I have a friend who use to do taxidermy work. he did all kinds of animals but loved doing waterfowl. he placed at the national level several times with wterfowl. I use to build his display cases for him. It was amazing watching his work evolve. My cousin has a qual he did like 20 yrs ago it looked like something out of a old cabin very rustic looking. Now his stuff looks like artwork. He quit doing it as a business took up way to much time
Rocklin,Ca

#8 RLS

RLS

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 06:56 AM

It is very time consuming now, but when I taught a class in taxidermy about 28 years go, they din't have all of the preformed molds and foam casting to build off of. You had to construct the body from the measurments you had taken from the body of the animal. In some ways, I think it was a bit better because the finished mount was more precisely the size of the orignal carcass.db

My friend has about 30 hours in this foam casting making it fit the size of the animal. He had to add about 12 inches in length. He had to add in several places to get it to work correctly. I guess if he cut the skin to fit the form you would be right but he makes the form fit the skin. It would be harder if he didn't have the form but watching him he could do it. He makes all kind of changes and additions. The last goat he did the hunter had shot off half a horn. He remade it and it looked great.

#9 Bozsik

Bozsik

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
  • Interests:Having fun with my Wife and Kids, Hunting, Camping, Wildlife Photography, Woodworking, and Illustration.

Posted 11 September 2006 - 11:45 AM

My friend has about 30 hours in this foam casting making it fit the size of the animal. He had to add about 12 inches in length. He had to add in several places to get it to work correctly. I guess if he cut the skin to fit the form you would be right but he makes the form fit the skin. It would be harder if he didn't have the form but watching him he could do it. He makes all kind of changes and additions. The last goat he did the hunter had shot off half a horn. He remade it and it looked great.

Sounds like your taxidermist friend is "Old School". He must really put his heart into it. The next time you stop in at his studio, take some pics and share it with us. I love to see artwork in nature.db
TALK STRAIGHT, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND KEEP THE MAGAZINE LOADED.ORANGEVALE,CA

#10 RLS

RLS

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 01:38 PM

He was born 100 years to late.

#11 RLS

RLS

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 07:09 PM

Attached File  1.jpg   12.15KB   35 downloadsProgress on the goat.Attached File  2.jpg   10.09KB   33 downloadsSome pigs he did. He did one a few months ago that was the best pig I had ever seen. Attached File  3.jpg   9.45KB   33 downloadsRug he is almost finished with.Attached File  4.jpg   9.64KB   36 downloadsCoyote on his wall.Taxidermy is a Hobby/side job.

#12 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,773 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 12 September 2006 - 08:30 AM

awsome. :) to do it right you have to be a real artise.
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#13 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,789 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 15 September 2006 - 09:52 PM

RLS,Thanks for sharing.A17Shooter

Guns only have three enemies, Politicians, Ignorant Liberals and Rust.

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users