52 replies to this topic

#1 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 04:02 PM

Here are a few pictures of my garden. One of the things that I love most about my apartment complex! I have Zucchini, Cucumber, Mint, Oregano, Rosemary, Jalapenos, Tomatoes, Serrano pepper, Anaheim peppers, Blueberries and I am trying to grow a few pineapples.

DSCN2960.jpg

DSCN2959.jpg

DSCN2958.jpg

#2 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,410 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 27 May 2011 - 04:29 PM

I don't have a green thumb, but I do have a brown finger :signs1180lq: .........But I don't really think you want to see it :signs1242cn:

#3 sagedog

sagedog

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 11:55 AM

Here's our backyard garden in boxes I made earlier this year.

IMAG0243.jpg

We've got early girl, roma and better boy tomatoes... jalepeno, anaheim and bell peppers...

IMAG0244.jpgzuchini and yellow squash...

IMAG0245.jpg

spring mix lettuce, red and yellow onions, carrots, corn...

IMAG0246.jpg

and watermellon, cantelope, string beans, cucumber, tomatillos... and on the other side of the yard some potatoes, chives, basil and peas.So far we've got about a hundred tomatoes popping out!
Press Alt+F4, it's AWESOME!

#4 mac

mac

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 12:14 PM

sweet! (not talking about Bisley's brown finger either :fireworks3: :signs653wf: )...we had a couple of raised planter boxes put in as well...1st year trying them out (too much sun, too much shade, see what grows). we have jalapenos, tomatoes, squash and an assortment of herbs...
Mac Daddy"Lock, Stock and Two Smokin' Barrels"

#5 Rimrock

Rimrock

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,269 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 02:02 PM

Here is mine. I have onions, potatoes, tomatoes, corn squash and hot peppers. The radishes are gone but will plant more. Just planted some later corn.

Attached File  1.jpg   25.04KB   13 downloads

#6 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,018 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 31 May 2011 - 03:15 PM

Nice gardens guys. It's great to see people growing there own food.Here are a few things from my yard and garden. I've been fishing more this year since the folks are gone now and my responsibilities are greatly reduced. We normally have a huge garden and I would help some neighbors with theirs. But this year the weather has been so chilly nothing is really going and what with all of the rain we've had the plants didn't get put in till late. It's only going to be 68 degrees out today and it should be in the upper 80's something we just haven't seen. Then we've had hail storms something we almost never have at all and never this time of year. The hail beat the heck out of some vegetables to the point I had to replace them because their leaves were battered beyond coming back.So here's a few of what I have starting off with our crop of onions. We have Stockton Reds a sweet slicing onion that is a favorite of ours. I also have Walla Wallas and they did the best this year ever. We had just pulled them when this post started but here they are out drying before we cut the tops. There are 200 onions here and we'll store them into the fall in my makeshift root cellar under the house.

DSC_0009-4.jpg

DSC_0010-1.jpg

DSC_0012.jpg

Tomatoes are next. We have nowhere near the numbers of plants we had last year. Last year we had 29 plants of Sausage tomatoes that we made salsa out of. But we wasted allot of them and people don't seem to want to make their own salsas and tomato sauces like we do. I have most of my odd tomato plants spread around the yard in nursery buckets. The reason for the buckets is that I asked a local nursery about their tree pots and what they did with them. They said how many do you want and I ended up with a pickup load of them. So here are some of my tomatoes.One of my bucket plants.

DSC_0014.jpg

Tomatoes in the silver cages in the raised beds. There are cucumbers in the raised bed in front along with some pole bean and radishes. The bead on the far right also has tomatoes growing in it.

DSC_0020.jpgCherry tomatoes that will grow over the wire arches.

DSC_0017.jpg

DSC_0028.jpg

Here are the radishes I spoke of above. I usually find little strips of unused beds to plant them every few weeks as they are a fairly quick growing item.

DSC_0027.jpg

Here are the cantaloupes and they are a bit beat up by the last hail. We only grow Ambrosia melons because we haven't found any other that are as prolific and sweet as they are. We'll get close to thirty melons per plant.

DSC_0022.jpg

My artichokes, I wished I had planted them somewhere else but they do well here so I leave them. I've already taken about 10 off of them so far.

DSC_0023.jpg

Here is a mixed bed of fennel, chives, basil and peppers.

DSC_0035-1.jpg

A bell pepper.

DSC_0037.jpg

Here are some of our potatoes. As I said I have a bunch of tree pots so I grow my potatoes in compost we make from all of the leaves, grass and chicken droppings we accumulate over the course of the seasons. We grow Red, purple and Yukon Gold potatoes this way and we can grow them year round.

DSC_0019.jpg

Next aren't vegetables but it just said show us your garden. Here are some of out grape vines we grow red flame seedless grapes. Most of them go to the chickens who sneak in and help themselves. Fencing has become more important since the hens have gotten older and our rooster shows them what's good around here. The owl doesn't work so I have to net them when they ripen.

DSC_0024.jpg

Blue berries are next and we have nine varieties I think maybe ten. Notice the netting here to keep out the blue jays and mocking birds mainly. Starlings were a problem one year but they died off. :fireworks3:

DSC_0039.jpg

DSC_0040.jpg

Last for now are a few new things I've added this year, thorn-less blackberries and two raspberries. I have six other plants growing in back of my horse stalls. The blackberries are supposed to produce two gallons of berries for each plant the first year. I hope so.

DSC_0015.jpg

DSC_0029-1.jpg

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#7 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 03:15 PM

Very nice gardens guys! If my landlord didn't mind I would turn the whole front yard into a small farm. hahaha Seems like the neighbors dogs are the only ones who use the grass around here.

#8 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,018 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 05:31 PM

I forgot my cherries in my above post. We have several varieties and I had to pick tonight. These four are three years old and producing like crazy. We tried what the grower of the trees said was a good way to grow them in a raised bed with four to a box. They said a three by three foot box but I made this one four by four feet. When we got the trees three years ago the trunks were the size of your finger. They are now the size of your arm so they are doing well and really producing.

Posted Image

Some of the cherries before picking.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Today's harvest of cherries.

Posted Image

That same batch of cherries pitted and vacuum sealed ready for freezing with lemon juice and sugar for cherry pies.

Posted Image

One cherry pie worth ready to go.

Posted Image

We try to seal and then freeze any leftovers or things we can't or don't want to use up quickly. Here is one of my most used kitchen tools my chamber vacuum sealer.

Posted Image

Time waits for no one--

#9 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,410 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 08:55 PM

Damn, are you THE Farmer John? I thought I recognized you on my hot dog package. (Better than recognizing you on my milk carton) :signs1180lq:

#10 Hipshot Percussion

Hipshot Percussion

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Bird Hunting- pheasant, Quail
    Bird dog training (two Brittany's)

Posted 31 May 2011 - 09:32 PM

Have to replant ours--after the weekends hail storm, the tomatoes went bye-bye. That's what we get when you plant up here before memorial day. More weather predicted for the weekend---look's likfe it will be a late year for ours.

#11 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 04:56 AM

Yikes John, now i see why you have the tractor. How do you find time to reload and garden as much as you do :signs1180lq: :drool:
Freedom isn't free, It's paid for in blood! How wonderful, how marvelous is my Saviors love is for Me. He said that it's finished, the debt has been paid for in full.

#12 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,018 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 07:22 AM

Thanks guys but it's not that big anymore. But like Hipshot said the hail and cold temps have really stunted the growth of the vegetables. We had a freak freeze earlier this season and it completely wiped out our fruit trees except the cherries. I thought it was just us at first but all of my neighbors trees failed to produce anything either. I was really looking forward to my apricots, nectaplums, peaches and well everything.Robert the tractor really does help out, especially in making my compost for the gardens.

Time waits for no one--

#13 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,186 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 07:25 AM

Sj it's good you never told me were you live or I would be jumping your fence......... :drool: I like that picture with your chickens they sure look good.......... :signs165xk: The weather sure has been bad for gardens.it It's really hard to dry alfalfa to had one field get rained on last Sunday.

#14 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,186 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 04:14 PM

TORNADO WARNINGS for Sac shooterjohn you better get your chickens cooped up!

#15 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,018 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 04:19 PM

You can't believe the weather system that came through. The lightning and thunder were bad enough but we got some hail the size of quarters. I had to go pickup my wife from jury duty when I heard the tornado and sever weather repot. My poor plants it's June 1st STOP this. It's only 49 degrees outside and it's just after 5:00PM.

Time waits for no one--

#16 HOG

HOG

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 07:20 PM

I agree.....June this is more like southern hemisphere June.

#17 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 07:51 PM

I haven't had time to have a garden in a while but we do grow tomatos every year, if you can consider that a garden.

#18 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 09:56 PM

WOW John! You sure know how to get those plants going. I have been meaning to try this but I figured you might be interested too. I assume you have a cherry pitter. Get a bottle of some liquor, 4 mason jars or glass jars with those flip top gasket lids and enough pitted cherries to fill them. Once your jars are full of cherries top them off with your favorite hard liquor booze and let them sit for a month or two or longer. Then pop those cherries in your mouth after a long day and pour yourself a cocktail. YUM!

#19 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,410 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 10:39 PM

My grandfather used to do that also, only he used to use Vodka and would do it without pitting them. He would also let them sit much, much longer. I can still remember the story he would always tell us about him and my uncle eating them one day until they all but passed out on the porch. Along the same lines, I knew a guy that would use a very large hypodermic needle to inject Vodka into Naval Oranges a week or so before he would float the river. You weren't supposed to have alcohol (openly) on the river, but he had his instant, unnoticed screwdriver.

#20 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,018 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 07:59 AM

Alex, I'll try a small batch of cherries like you suggested.Robert, I've had and made the oranges you mentioned as well as watermelon. But that was in my younger days. We had them on float trips too.

Time waits for no one--

#21 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 08:30 AM

Alex, I'll try a small batch of cherries like you suggested.Robert, I've had and made the oranges you mentioned as well as watermelon. But that was in my younger days. We had them on float trips too.

My mother use to make a drink that her father taught her called: "Liquor de los 40" It is a bottle of vodka or clear alcohol 40 coffee beans40 sugar cubesa sweet orange stabbed 40 times They would then mix it all together and let it soak for 40 daysIt's a good drink just a little too sweet for me personally when strait. However it is nice to mix it into a screwdriver or other libation. Enjoy your cherries! :good:

#22 Pogo

Pogo

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 07:06 AM

Wow, I'm impressed. You all have some beautiful and neat gardens! I love to garden, but with two young kids, a business and a couple of jobs on the side, and a cow herd, we just don't get the time. I've been planting an orchard over the last few years, and some other permenant crops.We had a low of 25* last night though, I should have had my sprinklers out but didn't. So the cherries and apples that were blooming are probably done for the year. Only thing that is really growing so far in our garden is onions, a little bit of lettuce and carrots. i.e. frost hardy plants, lol. Corn isn't up yet, which is a good thing. Sure is easier to frost protect when they are underground, lol. Driving home this morning I went by some potato fields guys where running frost water on, they looked like ice skating rinks.... brrrrrr. :signs1180lq:
"I grew up poor. It's the people who are born with money who jump out of windows."---Lee TrevinoDo NOT spread my wealth. Spread my work ethic.Four out of five politicians surveyed prefer unarmed, ignorant peasants.Many people imply, with bad jokes, that Cajuns are unintelligent; however, anyone that would build a city 10 feet below sea level in a Hurricane zone and fill it with Democrats is a genius.

#23 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,161 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 03 June 2011 - 05:28 PM

Here's our garden. :doh[1]: Seriously, we gave up years ago because the rabbits, raccoons, squirrels, deer, and who knows what else don't leave much. Any tomato not growing on our raised deck is history and even then it's at risk...

I'm an airgunholic

#24 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,018 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:28 AM

Harvesting onions today because of a fence project I want to finish. I'm taking them out a bit early but they'll be crushed if I let them go full term.Here is my onion bed with Wall Walla and Stockton Red onions.

Posted Image

Digging the onions I use a digging fork as the roots can be pretty firm and you can damage the onion just yanking them out.

Posted Image

Closeup of a Walla Walla onion growing. Notice how high they sit up on the ground. People often ask if I planted them deep enough and the answer is they just grow like this.

Posted Image

A picture of the Stockton Reds. If you notice they are equally spaced it because I made a planting stick with dowels set at the distance they should be spaced to prevent crowding. It helps keep a straight line too.

Posted Image

Time waits for no one--

#25 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:00 AM

Your garden is always great looking. I am sure you eat off of it for a while. I have some snap peas, Mint, Rosemary, Oregano, Zuchini, Tomatoes, Chiles, Basil and pineapple growing this year. I wish I had a larger space and more sun. I am really compacting the plants together This year to take advantage of the sunniest place I have.

#26 Rimrock

Rimrock

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,269 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:02 PM

Posted ImageHere is mine, along with wife's "Prairie Corner." She has to have flowers. I have Walla Walla Sweet onions, lettuce, potatoes, green unions, carrots, tomatoes, squash corn, okra and sweet potatoes. Radishes are all done. Have been enjoying the lettuce, potatoes, and carrots. Had the first squash yesterday.

#27 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,018 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:12 PM

That looks nice Rod. Nice fences too, you've been busy since moving. My lettuce boltted on me finally but I've been picking it since November. I still have green onions and leeks in that bed.

Time waits for no one--

#28 KNOCKED UP

KNOCKED UP

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,568 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, archery,Reloading.
    Harley Davidson Motorcycles, and good people
    RETIRED

Posted 11 May 2012 - 06:23 AM

You guy's are real serious about this.Tom

Life on earth is temporary, Choose your destiny Wisely.

#29 Rimrock

Rimrock

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,269 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 09:57 AM

Thanks, John. I enjoy the garden, but it doesn't hold a candle to yours. You have shown some great and I know that you have even more. You certainly have a green thumb. Love your animals too.The fence in the back of the picture is the one I put up. The neighbor had the one on the right installed. I just shared the cost with him. I hope I can recoup part of the cost of the one I installed. (As per agreement with neighbor.) LOL

#30 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,018 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 01:03 PM

Rod I sure hope your other neighbor kicks in on the fence with you. My neighbors both backed out of their promises to share their cost so I'm out $25,000 but now they're my fences and they best not lay a hand on them.I'm making a couple of strawberry pots today from some barrels I picked up to use as rain barrels. I only wanted ten but got 20 barrels when the deal went through. I have several of them hooked to downspouts on my horse stalls as it has a nice standing seem metal roof on it. I actually get a couple of gallons just from condensation on the roof that runs off on certain days. But I needed something else to do with the barrels so I came up with the strawberry pot plan. I bought several flats of ever bearing strawberries last year and started propagating them by planting the runners to start as new plants.So these are the barrels I'm talking about.

Posted Image

Next I layout my pattern and drill thirty of these out. I need to find a use for these. :rolleyes:

Posted Image

Here is the barrel after the drilling.

Posted Image

I don't want to fill them completely with soil so I used three 3 gallon plastic planting pots screwed together lip to lip and another to the base of one to take up some of the soil space inside the barrel. Now to start filling and placing the strawberry plants.

Time waits for no one--

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users