Photo

Glock 21 SF .45 cal, What can I hunt with this?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 StephLuvsHunting

StephLuvsHunting

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Camping, Hiking, Gold Panning, Beer, Fireball

Posted 26 December 2011 - 01:58 AM

Usually just take it as an emergency backup when hog hunting but wondering what else I could possibly use it for? It fires pretty accurately at 25 yards.

#2 jeager

jeager

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 12:30 PM

Usually just take it as an emergency backup when hog hunting but wondering what else I could possibly use it for? It fires pretty accurately at 25 yards.

Ground squirrels, but not in Condor FlyZone.

#3 KNOCKED UP

KNOCKED UP

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,862 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, archery,Reloading.
    Harley Davidson Motorcycles, and good people
    RETIRED

Posted 26 December 2011 - 03:20 PM

I would say that it is an excelent gun for hog back up.Tom

#4 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 26 December 2011 - 05:09 PM

Wabbits!!!

#5 StephLuvsHunting

StephLuvsHunting

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 02:20 PM

wabbits may go kapoots and disappear, I was thinking of doin a .22 conversion for critters. I think I'll stick with it as a backup for boar and bear. One shot one kill is what it should take though, so hopefully I won't need to use it. :)

#6 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • Interests:Hunting anything above or below the water. Kayaking, Backpacking, Scuba, Surfing, anything outdoors.

Posted 30 December 2011 - 05:32 PM

Steph,Your Glock .45 should take care of a deer or pig at close range as long as you hit it in the head or behind the front legs. Because of the thick cartlidge sheath that pigs have over their front scapulas I would not bank on a .45 round penitrating enough to kill one if you hit it there. The good news is that you should have at least 10 trys to get it right. LOLMc

#7 docskinner

docskinner

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Interests:Learning to navigate Cali hunting laws &amp; Regs. <br />Hunting, shooting, fishing.<br />

Posted 30 December 2011 - 11:54 PM

Ground squirrels, but not in Condor FlyZone.

You can get 'green' ammo for it. But other than that - it was never intended to be a long range round. IF you could throw the gun and hit it, it would probably do the job shooting it at the animal. If you want to actually pistol hunt, get a better round out of your pistol.

#8 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 31 December 2011 - 06:28 PM

wabbits may go kapoots and disappear, I was thinking of doin a .22 conversion for critters.

Were you conceerned they would run from the louder .45 (vs a .22) or that it would just make too much of a mess? I wouldn't worry too much either way though as they run away just as much from hearing you walk as they do from shots. If the caliber is the concern, use a soft point instead of hollow points and it won't be bad at all. They are so thin skinned that any bullet though (from a slower handgun vs hi-powered rifle) really doesn't expand like you would think, even with HP's. We would get worse damage with a .22mag rifle (soft lead) than we would with our .357's or .44's with XTP's.It is however a good excuse to buy a conversion kit though........

#9 4RHUNTS

4RHUNTS

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • Interests:Hunting for varmints, two and four legged varieties, deer, pigs, birds, reloading, and fishing.

Posted 31 December 2011 - 07:03 PM

Ya the 45 doesnt meet the power factor rating to be a legal hunting round in california so you will be restricted to varmints i think legally.

Never heard of this. What is the "power factor" as it relates to hunting big game? 353. Methods Authorized for Taking Big Game. (a) Except for the provisions of subsections 353(:cheers: through (h), Title 14, CCR, big game (as defined by Section 350, Title 14, CCR) may only be taken by rifles using centerfire cartridges with softnose or expanding projectiles; bow and arrow (see Section 354, Title 14, CCR, for archery equipment regulations); or wheellock, matchlock, flintlock or percussion type, including "in-line" muzzleloading rifles using black powder or equivalent black powder substitute, including pellets, with a single projectile loaded from "projectile" is defined as any bullet, ball, sabot, slug, buckshot or other device which is expelled from a firearm through a barrel by force.(:good: Shotguns capable of holding not more than three shells firing single slugs may be used for the taking of deer, bear and wild pigs. In areas where the discharge of rifles or shotguns with slugs is prohibited by county ordinance, shotguns capable of holding not more than three shells firing size 0 or 00 buckshot may be used for the taking of deer only. © Pistols and revolvers using centerfire cartridges with softnose or expanding projectiles may be used to take deer, bear, and wild pigs. (d) Pistols and revolvers with minimum barrel lengths of 4 inches, using centerfire cartridges with softnose or expanding projectiles may be used to take elk and bighorn sheep.

#10 microtus

microtus

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • Interests:About average for everybody else in here.

Posted 31 December 2011 - 07:47 PM

What has always thrown me on that reg is the 3 rounds limitation. I guess while using a shotgun, if you cant hit a darned pig with the first 3 rounds it's going to be too far away for the next two though I've fired 5 out of my .06 inside of 50 yards.

#11 docskinner

docskinner

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Interests:Learning to navigate Cali hunting laws &amp; Regs. <br />Hunting, shooting, fishing.<br />

Posted 31 December 2011 - 08:09 PM

Think it is more for consistency with bird regs so that you can't say you were hunting game and not birds, and load all 5 when bird hunting.

#12 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,836 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting ,and hog hunting with my dogs.

Posted 02 January 2012 - 07:01 AM

the 22 lr conversion works great. I have one on my glock 31 for a trap dispatch weapon. Very reliable and accurate!

#13 Old timer

Old timer

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts
  • Interests:Hunting (all types) fishing and reading all the posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 09:11 AM

Robbers!!

#14 StephLuvsHunting

StephLuvsHunting

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 09:45 AM

Gonna buy me a one shot 12 gauge shotgun with a 22 caliber insert, get a habersack to carry some ammo, some flat bread, tallow and away I go scouting!

#15 45Colt

45Colt

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 11:55 PM

Hello Steph,At one time, there was a shotgun/22 rifle combo.Mine was a 410/22LR.The lock for the swing barrel looked like a trigger. A skeleton stock.I don't know if they are still made or not.After all these years,I still haven't put one shotshell in my Pardner NEF 12ga shotgun.It's a single shot.Still have 2-100 round packs. From Walmart.

#16 Rob

Rob

The Varmint Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 04:47 AM

FYI for hunting in the Condor Zone with a Glock 21 you can find 160 gr all copper HP - 45 acp bullets, if you are a reloader it can work.Pesky Varmints are known to make flanking maneuvers on a regular basis once you get a shooting stand set up under an oak tree. I also went to the detail of handloading 38spl steel shot snake loads....I wanted to make sure that the #7 size shot was steel and not old style lead. I don't want to tell you how long I had my last box of commercial 38spl shot loads...like the 70's maybe. My intent is to shoot nothing bigger than a pesky varmint with these loads. :sport037fn4:

#17 CODfan

CODfan

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:Pistol shooting, Hunting pigs, and Baseball.

Posted 26 January 2012 - 02:33 PM

Wow, I always thought the minimum barrel length had to 6" and .357 min caliber. That law sounds rather open, like I can use (not that I would) my combat commander to hunt deer since it meets those requirements. It isn't clear enough. Didn't there used to be a list of acceptable hunting pistols?

Never heard of this. What is the "power factor" as it relates to hunting big game? 353. Methods Authorized for Taking Big Game. (a) Except for the provisions of subsections 353(:smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: through (h), Title 14, CCR, big game (as defined by Section 350, Title 14, CCR) may only be taken by rifles using centerfire cartridges with softnose or expanding projectiles; bow and arrow (see Section 354, Title 14, CCR, for archery equipment regulations); or wheellock, matchlock, flintlock or percussion type, including "in-line" muzzleloading rifles using black powder or equivalent black powder substitute, including pellets, with a single projectile loaded from "projectile" is defined as any bullet, ball, sabot, slug, buckshot or other device which is expelled from a firearm through a barrel by force.(:harhar1[1]: Shotguns capable of holding not more than three shells firing single slugs may be used for the taking of deer, bear and wild pigs. In areas where the discharge of rifles or shotguns with slugs is prohibited by county ordinance, shotguns capable of holding not more than three shells firing size 0 or 00 buckshot may be used for the taking of deer only. Pistols and revolvers using centerfire cartridges with softnose or expanding projectiles may be used to take deer, bear, and wild pigs. (d) Pistols and revolvers with minimum barrel lengths of 4 inches, using centerfire cartridges with softnose or expanding projectiles may be used to take elk and bighorn sheep.

#18 docskinner

docskinner

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:02 PM

Buffalo Bore makes 4 .357 loads, the lowest muzzle energy is 750, the highest 802. Fiocchi, Grizzly, Underwood all produce loads in the mid 700's.

And I think maybe you have looked at .44 special or .44 cowboy loads. Many producers make loads over 1000 ft/lbs of energy.

Nothing worng with .45 ACP, but factory loads Factory loads for are all in the 400s and 500s, with just a couple +p loads cracking 600.

Not sure where you are getting your data, but you might want to double check it.

Nothing wrong with .45 ACP, but don't make it into something it is not.

#19 Locnload

Locnload

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts
  • Interests:Deer hunting, and coyotes when the opportunity presents itself, (I don't have the calling thing down yet).

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:39 PM

.45 ACP should be around 800-850 (?) in factory loads (230 gr.). Where do you get 400s? Loads for .357 move significantly faster.

#20 86mcss

86mcss

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Interests:archery, precision target shooting, hunting, fishing...everything outdoors

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:21 PM

I agree. Using Unique powder at the suggested 5.8 grains I am suppose to be right around 860 velocity and 380 ft/lbs of energy(what I load because it is the most accurate for me).

#21 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:14 PM

Hello Steph,At one time, there was a shotgun/22 rifle combo.Mine was a 410/22LR.The lock for the swing barrel looked like a trigger. A skeleton stock.I don't know if they are still made or not.After all these years,I still haven't put one shotshell in my Pardner NEF 12ga shotgun.It's a single shot.Still have 2-100 round packs. From Walmart.

You can buy this type shotgun/rifle in different calibers... I was looking a few last month drooling LOL

#22 StoneTower

StoneTower

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • Interests:Pulling the trigger and setting the hook!!!

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:21 AM

I believe what you are talking about is a Stoeger, made by Garcia in Italy, and called the Bronco.

http://bushcraftusa....ver-combination

Springfield also made an M6 survival rifle

http://www.google.co...iw=1205&bih=586

The price sure has gone up...

http://www.gunbroker...rds=m6 survival

I paid $70 for mine back in the mid 1980's

Not very useful, but fun for a kid.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users