• Please log in to reply
146 replies to this topic

#1 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Computers....It's what i do for a living and sometimes for fun.
    Movies
    Spending time with the Family

Posted 07 March 2008 - 04:25 PM

Hey guys, she is not finished yet but I couldn't wait to get some pics up. :D I won't say how long it took me, but I got it together without the proper tools and it functions perfectly. My upper should be here a week from this Monday. "There are many like it, but this one is mine!"Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageSpecs are as follows:Stag LowerDPMS LPK6 pos M-4 stockBullet Botton KitUpper will be a Stag flat-top (no iron sights) 16" chrome lined 1-9 barrel.Scope will be a Bushnell Browning 3-9x40 (same as Elite 3200)

#2 woodog

woodog

Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Interests:Open Field Coursing and hunting.

Posted 07 March 2008 - 04:55 PM

Ah yes, another big boy's Erector Set firearm. I guess I'm just too old to get into the black gun thing. A friend told me today that he just bought Stag and was elated that it is supposed to shoot 2 MOA and he only paid $1,200 for it and it weighs a little more than 8 lbs. I asked if he liked the trigger and he said no, but could get a good trigger assembly of $200. Anyone want a Keltec SU16A for $300 with only about 200 rounds through it? The catch is you have to come to Taft to do the transaction and pay the fees.Running and ducking for cover!!! :D :smiley_kewlpics: See you Sunday morning with your real rifle.SteveH

#3 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Movies

Posted 07 March 2008 - 05:20 PM

I paid around $735 for mine (minus scope) by building it myself. Not sure how accurate it will be but hopefully good enough for "minute of Coyote". As for the trigger, a decent 3-4 lb crisp trigger can be had for around $88. I figure this trigger is good enough for now. If I had some $$ I might be interested in that Keltec. Maybe we can work out some sort of trade? :D What does 10percent charge for transfers?

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,656 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 07 March 2008 - 06:37 PM

My lower should be here a week from this Monday.

You mean your upper.

#5 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
    Movies

Posted 07 March 2008 - 07:55 PM

Haha, you got me. My head was probably a little foggy after all the excitement. Not to mention the multiple four letter words that were flying around while putting this together. :D

#6 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
    Movies

Posted 07 March 2008 - 08:02 PM

The way you have it all set up in front of your laptop is great. I LUV it! The black rifle disease has got you now. Beware of up coming urges to build more of em in different calibers :D

Yep that's ar15.com's step by step build it yourself guide. As for the disease, yes I will be building another. I found a place where I can get 3 lowers for $105 each. Then pay $5 for the transfer and only pay one DROS. So I may just pick-up a 3 pack next time. Now I just need to figure out what calibers will work in the standard 5.56 lower.

#7 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 09:29 PM

Congrats to you! As the funny money trickles back in look at getting a more comfortable pistol grip; your hands will thank you for it!Here's another cheap upgrade that I really liked. I can wear gloves and get to the trigger easy, plus I really like the looks of it.Posted ImageFor an idea of what calibers you can shoot from that lower check out the D-Tech website .... plus I think the 50 Buwolf and the new 450 Thumper will work with your lower.

#8 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
    Movies

Posted 07 March 2008 - 10:03 PM

Yeah, I have been looking at either a Hogue grip or Magpul. As for the alternate calibers, I think .204 would be cool. I was thinking my next caliber would be .243, but I don't want to spend all the AR10 $$ for one. So I will probably get a savage in .243.

#9 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 10:10 PM

A 243 WSSM upper will slap right onto your lower.

#10 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
    Movies

Posted 07 March 2008 - 10:33 PM

Hmmm, those are some funny lookin cases. I may have to look into those though. Thanks

#11 aquaelvis

aquaelvis

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 06:21 AM

Looks good man, can't wait to get working on mine. I'll have to have you over when I put mine together since you know what you are doing now. $315 for 3 lowers.... sick!How about a break down of prices and where you got everything? Get it done... looks awesome so far!

#12 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
    Movies

Posted 08 March 2008 - 01:45 PM

No problem, I will give ya a hand if you need it. I doubt you will need help though. The directions and pics on ar15.com are pretty good. I would suggest getting a set of punch's though and lots of blue tape. I did this one without punch's and next time I will have a set. As far as prices for my build:DPMS LPK -- a guy on AR15.com $52Adjustable stock -- Derek dhobkirk@hawaii.rr.com on AR15.com $50 (got a discount for military)Stag-15 Model 3H Pre-Ban Flat-Top 16" Barrel Chrome Lined 1-9 -- AR15Sales.com $449For a total of: $736 shipped

#13 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, hunting and fishing.

Posted 08 March 2008 - 08:27 PM

I just built the one in the middle from spare parts that I've collected over the last couple of years. It's a 20" Armalite upper on a Sundevil (milled) lower with a bullet button. The one on the left is a vaminter that I built for my kids to whack ground squirrels with and the the one on the right is my left handed Stag.Posted Image

#14 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
    Movies

Posted 08 March 2008 - 08:33 PM

VERY NICE!! I hope to have AR triplets someday. :signtripledogdare2wf:

#15 zippy1970

zippy1970

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 11:16 AM

That's true here too . I built my 1st one in 6x45 (6mmx.223) , just bought a 6.5 grendel complete upper , have a 20" krieger 1-7.7 .223 barrel and I am looking into making one in .20 tactical . I only have the one lower . Due to total lack of space in my space . No room for the uppers let alone 3 more complete rifles .

#16 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 11:27 AM

I built my 1st one in 6x45 (6mmx.223)

Could I bother you for some load data? My new Shilen barrel chambered in 6 x 45 will be here in the next couple of weeks.

#17 zippy1970

zippy1970

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 11:21 PM

No problem Farmer . I sent you an email . What are you building it on ?

#18 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 07:17 AM

Thank you. It is going to be an AR upper with DPMS parts. The barrel is a 1 in 10 twist

#19 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,355 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 01:01 PM

You guys have fun loading from the top! i am sure it will get boring after a while.

#20 Fishwrestler

Fishwrestler

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Interests:I am an Avid fisherman who would like to spend more time Varmint and Predator hunting. Trying to fit in all the hobbies with two young kids is a challenge.

Posted 11 March 2008 - 01:25 PM

If you install a bullet button you can leagally swap out magazines and dont have to load from the top That is one of the reason I decided to go ahead and build onenow. Robert

#21 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 01:40 PM

Technically, just having the lower go through DROS and FFL means that it would be covered if any further legislation was passed, right? As in, if I were to just buy the lower right now, I could finish it whenever???

#22 Fishwrestler

Fishwrestler

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Interests:I am an Avid fisherman who would like to spend more time Varmint and Predator hunting. Trying to fit in all the hobbies with two young kids is a challenge.

Posted 11 March 2008 - 02:39 PM

Technically, just having the lower go through DROS and FFL means that it would be covered if any further legislation was passed, right? As in, if I were to just buy the lower right now, I could finish it whenever???

Thats my understanding. Jeff don't fool yourself once you get it you won't wait to build it. LOL you probably be like plotting to get it done before my April Cedarville trip Robert

#23 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 02:45 PM

Shoot, I'm gonna buy two. Haha.

#24 aquaelvis

aquaelvis

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 02:50 PM

Yes Jeff, if these new "off list lowers" get banned like the others, the people who own lowers (the only part with numbers) that are registered will be OK. (would probably need to re-register as assault rifles like the people did the first time) But, we'll be grandfathered in. (like the first time) One note for people reading this... it is NOT my opinion that you can change mags out of these rifles just like the pre-ban guys do. I have read, re-read and read again the law and it seems very clear to me that once you use a bullet button to remove the mag... you are in possession of an assault rifle as stated by CA law. (felony) The law says you can have these if they are NOT on the banned list. OK, that is easy, just buy one of the lower not listed. In order to have all the "evil" features on these guns (stock, handgrip, etc, etc) there are other things that need to happen. The law says that you CAN NOT have a rifle with "evil" features that is capable of accepting a removable magazine. (then it is an assault rifle) As soon as the mag is removed from a bullet button gun, it now "could" accept a removable mag = felony. It is all up for debate but that is what the law says. I will not take my mag out in public, I'll either top load (easy) or take the upper off. Check out calgun.net for lots of good info on this.

#25 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 02:54 PM

I hate not being able to look at all the good stuff at work.

#26 Fishwrestler

Fishwrestler

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 03:02 PM

aquaelvias. Not to create issuesI just suggest to any interested in building an AR go to Calgun dot net. and read up. There are threadS over their and copies of letters from people who interpret the law for a living and you be your own judge. Juast don't want anyone here to be misinformed about the law. Thanks Robert

#27 aquaelvis

aquaelvis

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 03:04 PM

Yep Robert, that is the place to find answers. (that is why I put it in my other post) If you read the AR memo on the first page it is very clear that their position it to NEVER remove a mag while the evil stuff is still attached. A lot of people argue it but it seems pretty clear to me. The other logical thing to consider, even IF it is not a felony you would need to spend EVERYTHING you have to prove it is OK. (whick means going up against the DOJ!) It is not worth ruining your life, just take the top off. I know several LEO's that are chomping at the bit to see someone pull a mag out at the range. Once the mag well is open and the pistol grip, flash hidder, etc are still attached... cuffs are going on and we will see what happens in court. I know it won't be me!!!

#28 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 03:09 PM

You guys have fun loading from the top! i am sure it will get boring after a while.

You should look into the OLL's a little more. We can legally own AR's and not have to load from the top.

#29 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 03:29 PM

My understanding (and this was just reaffirmed by Robert over the phone) is that the whole POINT of the bullet button is to make the AR legal in CA. As Robert describes it...like a locking door, you have to both unlock to get in and unlock to get out. Regardless of if your magazine is out or not, your GUN is still legal because of the tool (bullet button) that has to be used to remove that magazine. Maybe top loading will help you to not draw attention to yourself, but it isn't necessary in my estimation of the law.

#30 aquaelvis

aquaelvis

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 04:51 PM

PC 12276.1A semiautomatic centerfire rifle capable of accepting detachable magazines and any of: ▪ a pistol grip protruding conspicuously below the weapon’s action ▪ a thumbhole stock or folding or telescopic stock; ▪ a flash suppressor, grenade launcher or flare launcher; ▪ a forward pistol grip.A semiautomatic centerfire rifle with overall length of less than 30 inches;A semiautomatic centerfire rifle with a fixed magazine holding over 10 rounds.Ok, so this is pretty simple. (maybe not) The law is pretty clear. A semiautomatic centerfire rifle capable of accepting detachable magazines and any ofSo, an AR rifle:IS semiautoIS centerfireSo as long as there is a FIXED mag in the well, it is NOT capable of accepting a detachable magazine. (not an assault rifle but just a long gun) CA has already agreed that a mag that requires a "tool" to remove would not be considered removable. (already agreed that a bullet tip is a "tool") Now the scary part... a LEO sees you at the range. He picks up your AR (with all the "evil" parts on it) and sees an open mag well. Now, are you in possesion of a rifle capable of accepting detachable magazines? Many people say yes. The problem is a chicken or an egg. Once a mag is in place, your rifle can not accept a detachable mag, once removed... who knows? From calguns.net:Only after a fixed low-capacity magazine is attached and screwed down should the pistol grip and/or folding or telestock be attached. Conversely, if the fixed magazine on the rifle needs to be removed for repair or cleaning, the pistol grip and/or telestock, folding stock or thumbhole stock must be removed first.NEVER HAVE AN OFF-LIST LOWER RECEIVER WITH AN OPEN MAGAZINE WELL AND A PISTOL GRIP OR FOLDING (etc.) STOCK STILL ATACHED - EVEN FOR A MOMENT!! ALSO, NEVER PUT A BARRELED UPPER RECEIVER WITH A FLASH HIDER ON AN OFF-LIST LOWER , UNLESS A NONDETACHABLE LO-CAP MAG HAS ALREADY BEEN AFFIXED.See : http://calguns.net/a...fornia_arak.htm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users