• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 05 July 2008 - 07:50 PM

I went out for a rabbit hunt today and decided to use a pistol for a little added challenge. The bunnys were darting from brush pile to brush pile and a scattergun would've mopped up a limit in a few minuits but what fun would that be? It took a little while but I managed a full limit of cotton tails with my trusty Browning Buckmark at ranges from ten to fiftey yards. I even managed to somehow take one on the run at about 30 yards. He's the one at the front of the line. I had a great time and my buddy said that next time he'd bring out his Bearcat and give handgun hunting a try.Posted ImageOh, and I was sure glad to find that there wasn't a single tick in the whole lot of 'em. Those things give me the creeps!
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#2 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, fishing, four wheeling, riding ATV's, camping, and the various ECV activities...

Posted 05 July 2008 - 08:53 PM

You're such a badass... :653:
Oregon Hunter's Association memberE. Clampus Vitus Estanislao Chapter 58, Humbug Chapter 73, and Umpqua Joe Outpost 1859 memberIf you can't fix it with a hammer, then you've got an electrical problem.

#3 Portagee_Shooter

Portagee_Shooter

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 06:44 AM

That's a good lookin' brace of conies...what cal is that handgun?
Q: "What do you hunt with that?" A: "Name it"-Rambo

#4 4RHUNTS

4RHUNTS

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • Interests:Hunting for varmints, two and four legged varieties, deer, pigs, birds, reloading, and fishing.

Posted 06 July 2008 - 08:11 AM

Nice looking rabbits. Good eatin right there! What ammo you use in that 22?

#5 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,316 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 06 July 2008 - 09:07 AM

Nice shooting! And so much more fun with a pistol.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#6 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 06 July 2008 - 09:38 AM

.......What ammo you use in that 22?

I got some practice in on ground squirrels with some of the bulk packed remington hollow-points and then I switched to remington solids for the rabbit hunt. Every year, around christmas, remington puts out a comemorative tin that has a few boxes of solid point ammo inside. I've been collecting the tins for the last few years and I save the ammo for the occasional rabbit or gray squirrel hunt. At pistol velocity they are pretty meat friendly if I muff a face on head shot and hit somewhere else.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#7 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,230 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 08:11 PM

Now that looks like fun. I think a shot gun would have been to easy.

#8 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 08:35 PM

I grilled them up tonight and they were great. I rubbed them with some McCormiks chicken seasoning and just before I took them off the grill I brushed them down with some Stubbs spicy barbeque sauce. Rabbit is a popular food in the Azores so I went to savemart and picked up some Sagres (portuguese beer) to go with dinner. They also had a bottled portuguese marinade that my grandma used to make from scratch so I picked some up and I'll try that next week.

#9 zippy1970

zippy1970

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 01:58 PM

nice "round up " you have there clampdaddy . I have wanted one of those for a while but I am holding out for a varmint , silhouette or ihmsa model and with the "importation " laws that we have , makes it a little hard .

#10 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 02:22 PM

Are you talkin' about the Browning 5.5 model Buckmark? I always wanted one of those. I would think that they'd come from Ogdon UT where mine was made. What's the problem you're haveing with the importation laws?

#11 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Computers....It's what i do for a living and sometimes for fun.
    Movies
    Spending time with the Family

Posted 07 July 2008 - 02:23 PM

Haha, looks like you had a great day. Isn't it fun runnin em down with a .22 pistol? Mine is a Ruger 22/45 and I love it. I haven't taken it specifically for hunting yet, but I have used it on occasion for the surprise squirrel or wabbit. I too got a lone cottontail at about 30-35yds on the run. I do have to say though that me and my dad had both shot at it several times with our 22/45's while it was running before I calmed down and actually aimed. :signgreatreport3kg:
Posted ImageA well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

#12 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,230 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 03:17 PM

You didn't marinate them in some white wine garlic and vinager.Thats's one way of doing it. I need to get me a few to.

#13 Camoghost

Camoghost

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 03:07 PM

Nice shooting! I love those Buckmarks, they are one of my favorite plinkers! So when is the crock pot firing up?

#14 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 03:23 PM

Hopefully I'll get out again this weekend. My buddy called me yesterday and said that with the heat, he's not seeing many of them until he goes out in the mornings to irrigate.

#15 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 04:32 PM

i hoping to go look for some heere in s. cal i want to learn to prepare them rabbits
Freedom isn't free, It's paid for in blood! How wonderful, how marvelous is my Saviors love is for Me. He said that it's finished, the debt has been paid for in full.

#16 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 11:03 AM

We're heading out this weekend to cleanup some rabbits. You've made me pack my .22 pistol!!!
Sacramento Skull Works ...on Facebook!
Using Dermestid beetles to produce museum quality skulls for your trophy collection.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#17 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 11:11 AM

congrats on the rabbit slaughter. :censored[1]:

#18 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 02:38 PM

We're heading out this weekend to cleanup some rabbits. You've made me pack my .22 pistol!!!

Right on! Make sure to take the camera along. What pistol are you going to be shooting?

#19 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 02:54 PM

...... i want to learn to prepare them rabbits

If you've never dressed out a rabbit before, heres what I do. I use a small (sharp) ax for the whole process Use a small ax to lop of the head and all four legs just above the knees.At the back of the neck slide a finger under the hide and start tearing it along the spine.Now just start pulling on the hide until it comes off.Pinch the soft belly tissue that holds the guts in and rock the axblade over it to make an incision.Grab guts and start pulling Bust open the pelvis by setting the ax blade on it and giving light tap with your hand. Finish pulling out the intestines/anus.don't forget the upper organsDone My skinning technique is a little backwards compared to how some folks do it but it works for me and it's fast.

#20 acousticmood

acousticmood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 03:02 PM

Dang! I want to move to Turlock!

#21 Bozsik

Bozsik

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
  • Interests:Having fun with my Wife and Kids, Hunting, Camping, Wildlife Photography, Woodworking, and Illustration.

Posted 18 July 2008 - 03:18 PM

Dang! I want to move to Turlock!

Been there. . .No you don't. :censored[1]: db
TALK STRAIGHT, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND KEEP THE MAGAZINE LOADED.ORANGEVALE,CA

#22 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, fishing, four wheeling, riding ATV's, camping, and the various ECV activities...

Posted 18 July 2008 - 05:16 PM

Been there. . .No you don't. :two-cents: db

:stupid: Been there, done that, don't wanna do it again! :signs165xk:
Oregon Hunter's Association memberE. Clampus Vitus Estanislao Chapter 58, Humbug Chapter 73, and Umpqua Joe Outpost 1859 memberIf you can't fix it with a hammer, then you've got an electrical problem.

#23 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,735 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 18 July 2008 - 07:01 PM

Well I know what Im doing this week end . Way to go Clamp Daddy.
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users