• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • Interests:Hunting anything above or below the water. Kayaking, Backpacking, Scuba, Surfing, anything outdoors.

Posted 17 May 2011 - 08:25 PM

Just picked up my first wheel gun that I bought off of ECVMatt. It's a .44 Mag stainless steel Ruger Redhawk with a 4 inch barrel. Thanks Matt for giving me such a good deal. Can't wait to put a few rounds through it.Attached File  1.jpg   20.83KB   13 downloads

#2 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,787 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 17 May 2011 - 09:05 PM

Well, if its your first one I feel sorry for you. You will be spending a lot of money in the near future buying more. I absolutely love revolvers. I have a few semi's but the revolver is just the way to go. So much fun! consider getting involved in ICORE. You can shoot the 44 special and won't have much recoil to deal with.
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#3 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,202 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 17 May 2011 - 10:12 PM

Nice purchase! The 44mag in a double action is my favorite handgun. I'm sure you will love that gun.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#4 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 05:38 AM

Congrats on the new Handgun! I loved my Redhawk. Im sure you will be happy!
“Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that require every citizen to prove they are insured... but not everyone must prove they are a citizen.”

#5 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Shooting.

Posted 18 May 2011 - 05:59 AM

Yes Congrats! I am a wheel gun guy too. Nothing better in my books. I do own a couple of auto's, but the 44 629 is my favorite. I have three of them in different barrel length's.
Raith Heryford's Guide Service  Salmon, Trout & Steel Head | Striper, Sturgeon & Shad | Duck & Goose HuntingYuba /Sutter Northern CaliforniaCALL 530-870-2697 or emailQuit blowing on the Fur and get to the Hide.

#6 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 18 May 2011 - 06:24 AM

Congrats on your very fine purchase... It will serve you wellI'm also another wheel gun person, & have actually sold all my autos years ago & never looked back. Mine are in 22/22 mag, 357 & 44 mag which is also a 629 classic. Thinking about adding a .45 L.C. & another 44 mag lately. We'll see? :signs165xk: Frank

#7 4RHUNTS

4RHUNTS

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • Interests:Hunting for varmints, two and four legged varieties, deer, pigs, birds, reloading, and fishing.

Posted 18 May 2011 - 12:09 PM

Another revolver fan here. Very nice gun. Wish I'd kept the one I had years ago.

#8 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 18 May 2011 - 01:00 PM

Hmmmm... is there a common denominator here? Called "Old Age"! (over 40 + crowd); mostly + Just Wondering :signs165xk: Frank

#9 4RHUNTS

4RHUNTS

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • Interests:Hunting for varmints, two and four legged varieties, deer, pigs, birds, reloading, and fishing.

Posted 19 May 2011 - 12:12 PM

Hmmmm... is there a common denominator here? Called "Old Age"! (over 40 + crowd); mostly + Just Wondering :smiley-funny-post-sign: Frank

Hey Frank, I resemble that remark !!Frank

#10 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,627 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 19 May 2011 - 08:29 PM

Nice pistol, MB. Let us know how it shoots.

#11 Single Six

Single Six

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors - Shooting, hunting, wildlife, vehicles.

Posted 19 May 2011 - 10:01 PM

Very cool. I have lately developed .44 sickness and am now shopping...and I'm almost to my 30th Bday. Kinda wish I'd skipped .357 and got straight to .44 but I reckon I'll keep it around. Be sure to post up some pics of you double action rapid-fire groups.

#12 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • Interests:Hunting anything above or below the water. Kayaking, Backpacking, Scuba, Surfing, anything outdoors.

Posted 23 May 2011 - 06:00 PM

OK So I finally got a chance to get to the local indoor range and fire some rounds though my Ruger Redhawk. Initially the sights were off and it was shooting about a foot low and about 8 inches to the right at 10 yards. After some minor adjusting of the rear sight I got it dialed in pretty good for 10 yards. Here's the last two rounds of 6 that I put through it this evening. All in all I'm pretty stoked. I thought the short barrel on a .44mag might make it a bit of a handful but it wasn't bad at all.Attached File  5_23_11_003__2.jpg   85.33KB   14 downloads

#13 Caneman

Caneman

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 12:53 PM

Is that the "Backpacker"? If so I held that gun at a shop recently and I was really impressed, very nice gun.

#14 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 06:42 PM

I haven't heard it refered to as the Backpacker, but I have heard that it is a favorite sidearm amongst guides in Alaska. From what I've been told they often carry them in chest holster for quick and easy access.

#15 Caneman

Caneman

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 07:44 AM

My bad, you said it was a 4" barrel, the Backpacker has a 2-1/2" barrel. I plan on getting the same gun you have or the S&W 629 which looks exactly the same.Have you shot any full magnum loads in it? From what I understand a grizzly load is 300 gr JSP?

#16 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,800 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 09:05 AM

Have you only owned fakes in the past? Regardless...it's wheel nice.
ProStaff - ProStaff - Field Staff - I'm very important!

#17 Jeff213

Jeff213

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 06:19 PM

Hmmmm... is there a common denominator here? Called "Old Age"! (over 40 + crowd); mostly + Just Wondering :signs1242cn: Frank

I'm 26 and I prefer revolvers over semi autos. I have a S&W 63 in .22lr and a 66-2 which is currently going to s&w to be retimed.

#18 zippy1970

zippy1970

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 04:56 PM

Hmmmm... is there a common denominator here? Called "Old Age"! (over 40 + crowd); mostly + Just Wondering :smiley_green_with_envy: Frank

Frank : I think there is a flaw in that theory . Granted I am now 40 but I have been a wheel gun fan since I can remember , that would 10 or so due to a head injury . . But I grew up in time when revolvers were " art " that was shootable too . they had craftsmanship to them too . They always work ( kinda have to go out of your wy to make them not work ). Faster than a semi ( look at the total distance traveled when firing from rd to rd . Also Bob Mundan(?) used one when he shows off speed shooting . He timed S&W against a 1911 w/ 6 rds ) Almost " idiot " proof . they are empty or loaded . No " I forgot to empty the chamber " accident . LOOOOVES me revolvers Mackeralboy : let me know if you wanna trade it out ; ) or sell it . I know a few people that have the 4" in 44 on their list . them stinking 5.5s show up everywhere or they are in 454 . Andy

#19 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,784 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 05 June 2011 - 05:56 AM

Well, I'm over 40 and do have a few revolvers. In keeping with the 44 Mag topic here I'll just show my unfast draw 44 S&W 29. This version of the Model 29 was from the mid '80s.

Attached File  44mag.jpg   21.44KB   14 downloads

The cartridges are loaded with the 250 gr Sierra Silhouette (now known as Tounament Master) bullet. The barrel length is 10 5/8". That funny looking front sight has four adjustment screws so it can be adjusted for the 50, 100, 150 & 200 meter target lines that IHMSA matches are shot at.Currently I only have one 44 mag revolver in my accumulation. Guess I need to work on that. :smiley_green_with_envy:

Guns only have three enemies, Politicians, Ignorant Liberals and Rust.

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users