8 replies to this topic

#1 tommybuilt

tommybuilt

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 04:28 PM

Pam asked me to bring the trail camera up to the house to see who's been eating her flowers. She's ready to kill something, even though she doesn't have a tag, I don't either. Would this be considered Animal Damage Control? I don't know what kind of deal this deer made with our dogs.Posted ImagePosted Image

#2 Yateswell

Yateswell

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 05:56 PM

You should water the flowers with wine and beer, then you'll have a drunk deer in the front yard next morning.

#3 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,195 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 23 September 2011 - 07:21 PM

Sneaky bugger.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#4 StoneTower

StoneTower

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts
  • Interests:Pulling the trigger and setting the hook!!!

Posted 27 September 2011 - 12:12 PM

A little PCV pipe and some electric fence wire and a fence charger keeps them out of my garden. They will eat the plants down to the dirt. After a week or so, you don't even have to plug the fence in anymore. It sure was funny when my son's cat thought she could go s**t in my garden. It zapped her tail and she ran under the wire. Every time she tried to get out she would get shocked and she looked like a pinball in a pinball machine. :D

#5 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,770 posts
  • Interests:I've got so many I couldn't list them all. :)

Posted 27 September 2011 - 02:41 PM

It's funny you mentioned the electric wire/fencing. We did the same thing to train our dog to leave the rabbits and chickens alone when we first starting raising the livestock. It didn't take long for the dog to make a connection that the animals were off limits! I believe you to be correct in that the deer, after sufferring a few jolts will not bother the flowers in the future (at least the ones in the pots).

#6 whatjeffhunts

whatjeffhunts

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 03:46 PM

what zoneZ>?

Vegetables aren't food, vegetables are what food eats

#7 StoneTower

StoneTower

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts
  • Interests:Pulling the trigger and setting the hook!!!

Posted 28 September 2011 - 08:11 AM

It's funny you mentioned the electric wire/fencing. We did the same thing to train our dog to leave the rabbits and chickens alone when we first starting raising the livestock. It didn't take long for the dog to make a connection that the animals were off limits! I believe you to be correct in that the deer, after sufferring a few jolts will not bother the flowers in the future (at least the ones in the pots).

I had one deer get tangled in the wire and he/she pulled up a bunch of my stakes that were connected to the wire getting away. The shock is very strong with shoes on, but one day I kneeled down to pull some weeds and brushed the wire with my hand. I developed a new respect for the charger when the circuit was completed with my kneecap rather than my rubber soled shoes.

#8 tommybuilt

tommybuilt

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 04:06 PM

Zone D5, opened last saturday. If the wife wants to keep growing flowers, I'll have to look into the electric fence. I know the dog barks at this deer all the time, but the deer doesn't seem to care.

#9 tommybuilt

tommybuilt

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 04:09 PM

Zone D5, opened last saturday. If the wife wants to keep growing flowers, I'll have to look into the electric fence. I know the dog barks at this deer all the time, but the deer doesn't seem to care.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users