#1 JAKEDOGG

JAKEDOGG

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Interests:Panoramic views

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:46 PM

OK my friends. It comes with a cheap scope. I REALLY want an AR-15 for $1150 but this will do for now. Should I go for it? How many of you have more than 1 .223? I can wait to buy the AR-15.

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,352 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:03 PM

I own more .223's than one person can carry. Savage is a very good gun.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#3 Baja_Traveler

Baja_Traveler

Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:31 PM

And the nice thing about Savages is they are super easy to swap barrels on, so when you get your AR you can easily convert the Savage to a 300 Blackout or any round that uses a small case head if you decide you want something else.

If you can get arrested for hunting or fishing without a license, but not for being in the country illegally,… you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

#4 DirtyDave

DirtyDave

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:53 PM

My Dad has one of the savages from Big 5. It is a nice rifle. Yeah the scope is cheap, but it will work long enough to save up for something good. Only complaint is the trigger feels like poop, but it still shoots tight groups.

Turners has an AR on sale for $599 right now. You can also build one for about that much or a little less. Unless you have your eyes on a specific AR for $1150
Hic Ego Statio

#5 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:01 AM

Ok, I'll be the odd man out... I'm getting used to it!

Why not start out with what you want to end up with? That money for the Savage will pay for a good part of your AR. And that $349 will end up being more than that after tax, dross, etc. Plus, having to replace a scope if the original fails. And they can / do!

Also, it depends what Savage model it is and one's definition of "Accuracy". One friend & I both had the "predator" model and the BEST groups we could get were 5 shots in 1" at 100 yards. Obviously good enough to hit a big ole coyote, but hardly an "accurate varmint" rifle. Not even close! I also know of one other person that had the same results as my friend & I. This is compared to several, if not many, Remingtons we have with their BEST (not avg) groups @ 5 shots into ONE whole at 100 yards, some as small as 1/8".

Again, just depends on what one's definition of accuracy is, and what they would be happy with.

Good Luck

#6 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:35 AM

I own two Savages. Out of the box they are some of the best rifles I own. I have an AR, Winchesters, Remingtons, Brownings, etc. but it is hard to beat my Savage .223 for accuracy. Save money on the rifle and use the savings to get a good scope. I really like the Accutrigger on my Savage.

#7 rustygun

rustygun

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts
  • Interests:All types of hunting, but mostley small game, varmints and predators. X-Military (Army) 20 years. Been away from the hunting game for almost 22 years

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:56 AM

I'm with Frank on this one for sure. Get what you want. I don't whant to put out the money for a gun that "will do for now". You might use it a couple of times then it will sit, unused or you will want to sell it. Just my :two-cents: .

#8 modoc squeek shooter

modoc squeek shooter

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,701 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, guns, and saddles,
    self appointed GURU of squeek shooting in Modoc County

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:26 AM

I would save my money and get what I wanted. Savages are good rifles, not sure what model you are looking at, but I have heard the cheaper ones don't have the Accu-trigger, if it doesn't I would stay away from it. Just my 2 cents! Lol I would get a REMINTON lol. ED

P.S. I only have one 223, but I am sure I need another lol.

#9 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:30 AM

Savages are awesome... mine hit paper right out of the box..
Royal Oaks TaxidermyAward Winning Taxidermist...When Quality Counts! DEER CAPES WANTED

#10 lif2fsh

lif2fsh

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:34 PM

Savage guns shoot good groups right out of the box that's true but, they are high production slop sticks. you get what you pay for.

#11 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:02 PM

Why not start out with what you want to end up with?

I'm afraid I don't understand your thinking here Frank. First of all. a bolt action Savage is almost the same thing as an AR. Secondly, You are trying to deprive someone from the American way, you know, not buying what you want but something cheaper instead and complaining about how horrible it is compared to what they really wanted to buy. Are you un-American or what Frank. How do you sleep at night? :smiley-outta-here:

#12 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:05 PM

LOL... Yeah, Bob, just not sure what the heck I was thinking anyhow. :doh[1]: :D

#13 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,352 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:15 PM

I own several Remmingtons as well as a small collection of Savage rifles. I trust the Savage more especially after watching a documentary done on the Remmington 700's. Read over this and why I like the Savage.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/39554936
  • nitis likes this

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#14 Yateswell

Yateswell

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:57 PM

Ok, I'll be the odd man out... I'm getting used to it!

Why not start out with what you want to end up with? That money for the Savage will pay for a good part of your AR. And that $349 will end up being more than that after tax, dross, etc. Plus, having to replace a scope if the original fails. And they can / do!

Also, it depends what Savage model it is and one's definition of "Accuracy". One friend & I both had the "predator" model and the BEST groups we could get were 5 shots in 1" at 100 yards. Obviously good enough to hit a big ole coyote, but hardly an "accurate varmint" rifle. Not even close! I also know of one other person that had the same results as my friend & I. This is compared to several, if not many, Remingtons we have with their BEST (not avg) groups @ 5 shots into ONE whole at 100 yards, some as small as 1/8".

Again, just depends on what one's definition of accuracy is, and what they would be happy with.

Good Luck

I'm with Frank, get what you want, don't buy something just because it costs less. I have a savage in 223 and I really want a AR - an RRA AR, hope I can pull the trigger soon like Frank just did recently.

#15 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:35 PM

Savage guns shoot good groups right out of the box that's true but, they are high production slop sticks. you get what you pay for.

Well I actually love my high production slop stick :) It has killed many coyotes .. and ya its cheap but heck of lot cheaper to shoot it than my 17 Remington... I have most defintely gotten my money out of that savage many times over... And for a cheap slop stick... its been very reliable.. Id recomend it to anyone who wants a fur friendly accurate affordable rifle...
Royal Oaks TaxidermyAward Winning Taxidermist...When Quality Counts! DEER CAPES WANTED

#16 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:09 PM

I hope I wasn't construed as not liking Savage rifles. I have a couple, and do enjoy them. What I do not understand is really wanting an $1,100+ semi-auto AR and expecting to be happy with a Savage bolt gun. Kind of like wanting a full size truck but settling for an old El Camino. Similar (I guess), but nowhere close to the same. This is also where decent rifles (like these Savages) get a bad rap, because someone buys it wanting something else entirely different and has nothing good to say about it because it wasn't what they wanted in the first place :doh[1]:

#17 dabob

dabob

Bob Morris Foxpro Field Staff

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sporting Clays, Trap and Skeet, Hunting and Fishing

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:26 AM

If it is a Savage Axis you can remove the terrible trigger on it and put a Rifle Basix Sav-1 trigger on it for $85.95.

I would save my money and buy a nicer rifle without a throw away stock, trigger and scope on it.
Posted ImageTen Percent FirearmsServing California with all of their firearms needs - or contact us by email.

#18 Rimrock

Rimrock

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:56 AM

If that is a Axis, it's a very simple job to lighten and hone the trigger.

#19 JAKEDOGG

JAKEDOGG

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Interests:Panoramic views

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:00 PM

Gentlemen: You are all a big-time resource. I learned a lot from all of you and I've decided to save my money and wait to get 'what I want.' Bisley: I'm worried about u. I appreciate your opinion as well as Franks. Hope u were not on your 3rd beer like I M now. now I gotta look for places and varmints to shoot in the winter months. My Stockton area buddy is of no help. He feels sorry for the little critters even though they're still varmints.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users