• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 rws fan

rws fan

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Interests:My kids, shootin' stuff, hunting, hiking, scenic beaches, weather, running, imported beer, science, technology, fast cars, fast women, guns etc.

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:30 AM

Since recently getting a new Hawke SW 30 Tac 6.5-20x42 for my .25 Marauder, I've been itching to try it out on some ground squirrels. My hunting buddy also put a GM .357 barrel and shroud that he built on his Filarms PCP and he had also been wanting to test it out. So we agreed to meet at our meeting spot and then drive out to our shooting grounds (a total of 300 round trip miles for me). Upon arrival, we noticed that the grass was still very low which was great because last year around this time the grass was like 6-12 inches tall making it difficult to spot the ground squirrels. Even after we would spot the squirrels in the tall grass, the grass would sometimes deflect shots since it was so thick. I sure was glad that the grass was also low so we wouldn't be sitting on dirt with piles of horse manure all around us. We really had to watch where we stepped, sat and put our stuff down lol.We then proceeded to sight in at 25 and 50 yards. I just checked my zero on my .25 at 25 yards since I already had made a scope cap label with ballistic info for my new Hawke with Chairgun. I really love my new scope, the reticle is the perfect match for the .25s loopy trajectory with its extra aim points. I hardly ever missed with this new combo even shooting single shot style cuz I hate loading clips out there.So after sighting in we proceeded to walk around the property in search for heavy pockets of the little buggers. My friend Jovan was taking ground squirrels with his .357 shooting I believe .360 round balls around 600+ fps out to about 60 yards while I took all the long shots up to 100 yards. My buddys .357 really smacked the squirrels, hits were very bloody with huge entrance and exit holes. He is really addicted to the sound of a .357 hitting a ground squirrels, I don't think he's going to use anything smaller any more lol. I also noticed the .357 really anchored the squirrels and it didn't really matter where they were hit .It was calm in the morning upon arrival but the winds picked up soon after, switching on us at times, mostly coming from the west. But again, the .25 seems to just cut through the wind, I would use at the most a half-mil to a full mil-dot for compensating for the wind on longer shots. Head shots on ground squirrels out to 100 yards were a piece of cake at 20x.I think we took like 50-60 squirrels maybe more. I really don't remember as I always lose count after about 30. The squirrels are also really spooky now, rarely were we getting shots under 50 yards with most being around 60-80 yards. I thought that the young squirrels would be out by now like I seen around the empty fields by my house but they weren't. The females also seemed like they were pregnant because they sure were fat.Anyways, I got a couple pictures of the fun-filled day that I'll let do the rest of the talking. We are planning to go back once the young squirrels come out so we can get a ridiculous amount of kills hopefully by the end of april or early may.Have a nice day and enjoy!HenryPosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,485 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:36 AM

Wow, you were a busy guy! That looks like fun and you got rid of some burrowing pests too. :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#3 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,838 posts
  • Interests:I've got so many I couldn't list them all. :)

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:54 AM

Yep. Definitely looks like you had some fun there and those were some pretty plump groundies too. :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

#4 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:56 AM

Nice shootin'."He is really addicted to the sound of a .357 hitting a ground squirrels" I am like that with Predator .25 pellets and sparrows at 50 FPE. They really pop.

I'm an airgunholic

#5 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts
  • Interests:Bass fishing,Kayaking,Airgun hunting

Posted 12 March 2012 - 02:15 PM

Good shooting...!! Generally,breeding occurs in Feb,but litters stay down in da condos for 5-6 weeks...that has been the pattern down here..Tell Jovan I said hello..Rich/El Cajon.

#6 Rob

Rob

The Varmint Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:07 PM

:smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: :smiley_kewlpics:

#7 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,912 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Shooting.

Posted 13 March 2012 - 07:26 AM

Congrats on your hunt looks like you had a lot of fun.
Raith Heryford's Guide Service  Salmon, Trout & Steel Head | Striper, Sturgeon & Shad | Duck & Goose HuntingYuba /Sutter Northern CaliforniaCALL 530-870-2697 or emailQuit blowing on the Fur and get to the Hide.

#8 rws fan

rws fan

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Interests:My kids, shootin' stuff, hunting, hiking, scenic beaches, weather, running, imported beer, science, technology, fast cars, fast women, guns etc.

Posted 13 March 2012 - 08:07 AM

Thanks guys. I guess it was wishful thinking that the young ones would have been out. When we went on 1/1/2012, the squirrels were distracted chasing each other around, which provided a bunch of easy shots when they finally stopped moving. I think we shot the ones that were mating though lol. I noticed we shot more females than males this past Sunday too.Henry

#9 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:20 PM

Males are lazy....the females are out more now gathering food for the litters and themselves...males fend just themselves and are not as active.

#10 rws fan

rws fan

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:43 PM

Good shooting...!! Generally,breeding occurs in Feb,but litters stay down in da condos for 5-6 weeks...that has been the pattern down here..Tell Jovan I said hello..Rich/El Cajon.

Hey Rich I'll tell Jovan you said hi. I thought I would have got to meet you when I went to shoot BR at LDs ranch this past November. I've always enjoyed your posts. I've been meaning to go back since it was pretty fun but I've been busy with squirrels when I have time. Then I saw LD make a post on the GTA about having squirrel problems. I'm for sure going to try to go back soon to shoot some ground squirrels and BR, I'll be able to kill to birds with one stone lol.Henry

#11 BCF

BCF

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Dirtbike riding. Anything outdoors. CNC programmer by trade.

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:42 AM

Nice job! Looks like you guys had a lot of fun. I dispatched one in my backyard today using a bone stock 1377 at 30 yards. I was happy to know that this stock gun had the power to put one down at that range. These suckers eat up half my fruit trees, and they're starting to flower, so time to thin them out!

#12 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 05:52 PM

Hey Rich I'll tell Jovan you said hi. I thought I would have got to meet you when I went to shoot BR at LDs ranch this past November. I've always enjoyed your posts. I've been meaning to go back since it was pretty fun but I've been busy with squirrels when I have time. Then I saw LD make a post on the GTA about having squirrel problems. I'm for sure going to try to go back soon to shoot some ground squirrels and BR, I'll be able to kill to birds with one stone lol.Henry

Be looking forward to meeting you..we are shooting BR on Sunday March 25th..plus some squirrel sniping... :roflmao3[1]:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users