#1 Kephers

Kephers

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and Shooting

Posted 27 January 2012 - 10:53 PM

Choice is between one of these. Both prices are with 75 bucks of one another. I'm thinking either 7mm mag or 270 wsm. I'll be reloading for either so I'm not buying factory either way, even though 7mm factory is cheaper.Do any of you have the weatherby? What do you think of them? I love the match 2 stage trigger. Its lovely and very crisp. Its almost like an accutrigger in that regard. Its nice feeling.
OORAH! SEMPER FI!
Call Me Keith!
1 Round Varmint War!

#2 loaders_loft

loaders_loft

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 07:25 AM

Which remington model?

#3 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,385 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 28 January 2012 - 08:02 AM

The title says Rem 700.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#4 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 28 January 2012 - 08:10 AM

Model 700 (Rem) is stated in the title... Kephers, not sure how you could go wrong with either choice of rifle or caliber. The 270 wsm is the new(er) kid on the block and is very appealing. My oldest son has one & loves it, as I do to.Good Luck in your decision oops, John beat me to it. lol... actually there are lots of good rifles out there... that have REMINGTON printed on the barrel. :harhar1[1]:

#5 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,235 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fun target shooting, reloading, collecting firearms. Also enjoy scuba diving and welding. Shoot 22RF to 50bmg.

Posted 28 January 2012 - 08:18 AM

I have a Vanguard in 257Weatherby and it shoots well. They are warr to shoot 1.5" or better and mine does better. I think you shot it. It is less money that the Rem 700 and just as good or better. They are built by weatherby on a Howa action and barrel. Howa makes good stuff. They are far better than the Rem770.

#6 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 28 January 2012 - 08:22 AM

It is less money that the Rem 700 and just as good or better

:smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

#7 dabob

dabob

Bob Morris Foxpro Field Staff

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,673 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sporting Clays, Trap and Skeet, Hunting and Fishing

Posted 28 January 2012 - 09:53 AM

The 270 WSM is a great round for deer. If you think you will ever shoot elk or bigger game I would go with the 7mm Mag or a Win 300 WSM.I had a Rem 700 BDL in 7mm Mag and used it for about 25 years. When I traded it off I got a Rem 700 SPS in 300 WSM and I couldn't believe how much lighter the 300 WSM was compared to my old wood Stocked 700 BDL 7mm Mag was. Have you checked out the weight difference between the Weatherby and Rem 700 in both the 7mm Mag and the 270 WSM?
Posted ImageTen Percent FirearmsServing California with all of their firearms needs - or contact us by email.

#8 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,235 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fun target shooting, reloading, collecting firearms. Also enjoy scuba diving and welding. Shoot 22RF to 50bmg.

Posted 28 January 2012 - 10:23 AM

Frank----I know :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

#9 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,990 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 10:27 AM

Hmm Ive scoured the Remington site.. cant find their accuracy garuntee anywhere? Frank? :smiley-outta-here: :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:
“Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that require every citizen to prove they are insured... but not everyone must prove they are a citizen.”

#10 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 11:33 AM

LOL... DR & Grant you're killing me...

#11 dabob

dabob

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 02:00 PM

Hmm Ive scoured the Remington site.. cant find their accuracy garuntee anywhere? Frank? :signlol2iu: :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

All of my Remington 700 actions with Hart barrels, that are in H.S. Precision stocks and they have Jewell Triggers installed shoot pretty good. :smiley-outta-here:
Posted ImageTen Percent FirearmsServing California with all of their firearms needs - or contact us by email.

#12 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,833 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting ,and hog hunting with my dogs.

Posted 28 January 2012 - 05:21 PM

get a long barrel model .I can saw it off with a hacksaw and give frank the end piece to tape on his barrel. He likes the extra weight. :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

#13 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,990 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 06:31 PM

:smiley-outta-here: :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:
“Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that require every citizen to prove they are insured... but not everyone must prove they are a citizen.”

#14 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 08:00 PM

dabob---With all the rplacement parts you cannot really call it a rem ---like a factory rem. The action is the only rem part left. Plus what is the cost for all the parts/labor and the original rifle new.

#15 docskinner

docskinner

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Interests:Learning to navigate Cali hunting laws &amp; Regs. <br />Hunting, shooting, fishing.<br />

Posted 28 January 2012 - 08:30 PM

The 270 WSM is a great round for deer. If you think you will ever shoot elk or bigger game I would go with the 7mm Mag or a Win 300 WSM.I had a Rem 700 BDL in 7mm Mag and used it for about 25 years. When I traded it off I got a Rem 700 SPS in 300 WSM and I couldn't believe how much lighter the 300 WSM was compared to my old wood Stocked 700 BDL 7mm Mag was. Have you checked out the weight difference between the Weatherby and Rem 700 in both the 7mm Mag and the 270 WSM?

A regular .270 will take elk and moose (I know - I grew up on deer, elk, moose all taken with a.270Win and it will actually take most game: Google Jack Connor and 270) just fine, and the .270WSM is more potent. The 7mm and .308 calibers only really gain if you plan on shooting really heavy bullets (& at a distance). A poorly placed 180gr isn't any more effective than a poorly placed 130, and a properly placed 130gr is every bit as effective as a properly placed 180gr. 50 years ago you had to rely on heavier buillets as bullets design wasn't so great. with modern bullets you don't have to rely on starting weight anymore. The 270win is about 150fps slower in 130 & 140 gr than the 7mm magnum, and the .270WSM is equal or better velocity (and with better B.C.s), and both wind up with less felt recoil. You don't NEED a .308 caliber, let alone .308 (or bigger) magnum for any North American game. I love 7mm mags (my first rifle ever) and .308s, but you don't need them. And you could probably shave a few hundred off the price just buying a Howa and invest in a better scope.

#16 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 11:30 AM

LOL... Hey DR, they (dabob, Eric & the gang) with the Hart & cut off barrel etc are just messing with us, with Grant encouraging them. They're just not being very nice right now. :eck05:

#17 loaders_loft

loaders_loft

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 09:06 PM

Which 700....

#18 Kephers

Kephers

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 10:27 PM

Would just be a Rem 700 sps, nothing special. I think eventually I'll get both calibers. But which to buy first .. its tough I want both but can only afford 1.
OORAH! SEMPER FI!
Call Me Keith!
1 Round Varmint War!

#19 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:35 AM

Would just be a Rem 700 sps, nothing special.

And that would be an oxymoron :hellohello9il:

#20 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,833 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting ,and hog hunting with my dogs.

Posted 30 January 2012 - 06:14 PM

I am a 700 fan for sure!

#21 rdsii64

rdsii64

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 07:15 PM

My vote is for the Vanguard. Here is why. The vanguard out of the box has a two stage user adjustable trigger. The Vanguard as a MASSIVE recoil lug that is actually part of the receiver.The Vanguard has a ONE PIECE shrouded and vented bolt that can be field stripped in the field without tools. Out of the box the vanguard receiver is straiter than a Remington because they don't have to heat treat them. The vanguard has a flat bottom receiver. The Vanguard has a sub MOA accuracy guarantee. Lastly, with all these features( I know I forgot some) the vanguard has a lower price tag. Even if the Vanguard were more, it would still be a better buy. AMERICAN gun makers, are you listening?

#22 sean

sean

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 08:42 PM

I just bought a vanguard in 270wsm so I think u know what my vote is. :censored[1]:

#23 Kephers

Kephers

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 08:49 PM

Hmm. I think I actually will be going with the vanguard for the price alone. That means I can get a better scope for it. Is the barrel free floated? Or is there a pressure point at the front of the stock? I'm leaning towards the 7mm mag because I have the brass to reload already. BUT, the next rifle will be a 270 wsm and then my first pistol choosing between the 9mm and 40 cal. 9 mm is cheaper to shoot but I love the 40 cal too. Its mostly for a side arm and for home protection.
OORAH! SEMPER FI!
Call Me Keith!
1 Round Varmint War!

#24 sean

sean

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 08:57 PM

Barrels are not free floated weatherby claims better accuracy with pressure on barrel.

#25 dabob

dabob

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 05:39 AM

LOL... Hey DR, they (dabob, Eric & the gang) with the Hart & cut off barrel etc are just messing with us, with Grant encouraging them. They're just not being very nice right now. :two-cents:

Frank, I thought everybody knew that :censored[1]: "smiley-outta-here" was the universal messin with you signal. I guess I should have put LOL there too. :roflmao3[1]: :eck05:

#26 stallion51

stallion51

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 12:53 PM

Did any of you see that documentary on the Rem 700 and its misfiring problem?

#27 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,385 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 01 February 2012 - 12:59 PM

That's been a problem forever but I did catch part of what I think you are talking about. It makes you wonder why they don't just fix them.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#28 stallion51

stallion51

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 01:16 PM

in the documentary it said a fix was proposed but the cost of a recall would be more then just paying the lawsuits.

#29 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,647 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 01 February 2012 - 08:06 PM

I believe the fix was incorporated into the X-Mark Pro trigger.

#30 Kephers

Kephers

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 11:31 PM

Never had any issues my 700 ever. I love it and would gladly buy many many more. If I had the money.
OORAH! SEMPER FI!
Call Me Keith!
1 Round Varmint War!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users