#1 Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Farming, Trucks, Sprint Car Racing, NASCAR

Posted 01 October 2012 - 02:21 PM

Posted ImageIve been lookin at getting a new side arm for a little while now, and I think ive got it pinned down to this Taurus Raging Judge. Its a 45 mag that also shoots 2.5" .410 shotgun shells. I carry a 38 snub colt now which is a good side arm but id like to have somethin to pack a little more of a punch. Ive heard some good and bad things about Taurus (mostly good) and especially for the price they seem like really good guns. Besides having the knock down power, its a badass lookin gun!! Just lookin for your opinions about Taurus in general and if you have any experience with this "Raging Judge". Im fairly new to the forum and you guys have been nothing but helpful, im sure you all wont dissapoint this time either!

Thanks.

#2 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 02:31 PM

Last I checked it is not legal in California.

#3 Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 02:32 PM

Last I checked it is not legal in California.

Why is that?

#4 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,101 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 02:35 PM

You dont want to bring one of those into Cali.. they are illegal because they shoot the .410. I used to have a \barrel for My Contender that did the same thing. Never put it on the Gun though,Welcome to Cali gun regs!

#5 Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 02:37 PM

I found a dealer in Fresno who has them in stock. They said nothing about them being illegal.

#6 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,661 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 01 October 2012 - 02:43 PM

Due to its rifled barrel, all Judge variants are not characterized as a short-barreled shotgun per the National Firearms Act of 1934 (however California has a broader definition of a short-barreled shotgun making them illegal to possess in California).

Go here and you will see it is not certified for California. http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/

#7 Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 03:10 PM

Oh okay I see. Thanks for the info. The one they have in stock is the 44 mag.. Not the 45/.410.

#8 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,661 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 03:12 PM

No problem, the reason you were told no was that you showed the 45LC/.410. It's ashamed we can't have them but another reason to dislike California.

#9 KNOCKED UP

KNOCKED UP

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,914 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, archery,Reloading.
    Harley Davidson Motorcycles, and good people
    RETIRED

Posted 01 October 2012 - 03:54 PM

They are an awsome gun.
I can say no more.
Tom
  • Lone Wolf likes this

#10 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fun target shooting, reloading, collecting firearms. Also enjoy scuba diving and welding. Shoot 22RF to 50bmg.

Posted 01 October 2012 - 05:32 PM

The Ruger SRH in 454casull can shoot 45LC cartridges also. I just happen to have one which is mag-n-ported ,has the trigger done by Ruger, has a 2X Leupold scope and a set of wood Hogue grips as well as the original ones. I think I have the original box also. I am thinking of selling it as the arthritis in my wrists/hands/elbow and shoulder makes it not fun to shoot. I have maybe 20 rounds thru it. Besides I have a Ruger RH in 44mag I dearly love and could use some cash for my Africa trip next year. If interested PM me.

#11 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:42 PM

If you are a police officer you should be able to buy the Judge in 45LC and .410.

#12 StoneTower

StoneTower

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • Interests:Pulling the trigger and setting the hook!!!

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:17 AM

If you are a police officer you should be able to buy the Judge in 45LC and .410.

Handguns that are made to shoot .410 shells are different than off roster handguns. There is an exemption for LEO for handguns that are not on the list, but the .410 handguns fall under a short barreled shotgun section of the law in California. LEOs who buy an Off List Lowers (not banned by model / name AR15 type rifle) in California are still required to have it equipped with a bullet button (or built as a featureless build) unless they have a special letter from their department authorizing them to purchase an assault weapon. LEOs are not allowed to use >10 capacity magazines in Off List Lowers equipped with a bullet button even though they can legally buy >10 round magazines under their special magazine exemption. LEOs can purchase machine guns if they have a special letter from their department but they just don't hand them out to the average LEO without the need. There may be LEOs in California who have a special letter letting them own a Judge or similar shotgun shell shooting handgun but it is not common for LEOs to have the ability to purchase one.

#13 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:22 AM

Handguns that are made to shoot .410 shells are different than off roster handguns. There is an exemption for LEO for handguns that are not on the list, but the .410 handguns fall under a short barreled shotgun section of the law in California. LEOs who buy an Off List Lowers (not banned by model / name AR15 type rifle) in California are still required to have it equipped with a bullet button (or built as a featureless build) unless they have a special letter from their department authorizing them to purchase an assault weapon. LEOs are not allowed to use >10 capacity magazines in Off List Lowers equipped with a bullet button even though they can legally buy >10 round magazines under their special magazine exemption. LEOs can purchase machine guns if they have a special letter from their department but they just don't hand them out to the average LEO without the need. There may be LEOs in California who have a special letter letting them own a Judge or similar shotgun shell shooting handgun but it is not common for LEOs to have the ability to purchase one.

Oh OK. So a LEO with a letter might be able to purchase one but it would have to be for duty then I am assuming?

#14 Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:13 AM

LEO's ??

#15 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,661 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:06 AM

LEO's = Law enforcement officers

#16 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:41 PM

My brother lives in Reno and has one that he carries on his ATV. Says it's great. Feels secure knowing he has some good snake repelant in the 10 and Bad guy repellant in the 45. I told him not to bring it here when he comes. I don't want him getting in trouble with these stupid California laws.

#17 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 01:42 PM

I hate this state!

#18 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,101 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 02:27 PM

Politicians and criminals deserve protection. Look at who gets a CCW permit. Politicians! They think that their lives are worth protecting, but Ours aren't. Who doesent care what they commit crimes with? Criminals. See a pattern? I do! The law abiding Tax Payer means "Squat" to both sides. When I can get out of this God forsaking state, I will be doing the Snoopy Dance! lol

#19 pthor

pthor

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:Hunting-Fishing-Reloading-Traveling-Coin collecting

Posted 14 October 2012 - 04:52 PM

Actually, they are listed as a short barreled shotgun therefore, even Peace Officers can't own one in Ca. I found that out when the Judge first hit the market and I tried to buy one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users