Posted 21 August 2006 - 08:47 PM

Are there any Sig 229 owners out there?

#2 mrkubota

mrkubota

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
  • Interests:firearms/shooting, flying, music:<br />http://music.download.com/stratusgospel

Posted 21 August 2006 - 10:56 PM

Are there any Sig 229 owners out there?

Yes!I have an early P229 in .40 along with a 357sig conversion barrel for it.Also have:Browning BDA .38super (early importation of the Sig P220)P220 (.45acp German and 400 Corbon conversion)P225 (German)P226 (US made ver)P228 (German)P230 (German)//Ben

#3 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,685 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 22 August 2006 - 07:52 AM

I have a P220. :lol:

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#4 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 08:05 AM

I have a P220. :lol:

Me too. But its a little big to conceal and carry.

#5 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,685 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 08:57 AM

Me too. But its a little big to conceal and carry.

Yep I guess you're right there. But then they know to leave you alone. I have several other concealable carry guns and my favorite is probably my Walther PPK. Not the most powerful but he who shoots first shoots last. :lol:

Time waits for no one--

#6 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,726 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 22 August 2006 - 10:12 AM

I'm a wheel gun kinda guy and that's why my carry piece is a 642. Like John said, he who shoots first, etc, and with the 642 it carries so easily it is always with me and it always go bang! That is one of the really nice things about a wheel gun, as opposed to a semi. Just my opinion.
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#7 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,685 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 11:05 AM

I do agree with alpenliter on wheel guns. My most carried in the field pistol is a little stainless model 60 S&W. It's hardly noticeable and goes bang every time.

Time waits for no one--

#8 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 02:02 PM

I love my 226 40cal blackened stainless.

#9 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 02:31 PM

The 229 I am looking at is the blackened stainess and 357 Sig.

#10 mrkubota

mrkubota

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
  • Interests:firearms/shooting, flying, music:<br />http://music.download.com/stratusgospel

Posted 22 August 2006 - 04:20 PM

The 229 I am looking at is the blackened stainess and 357 Sig.

I don't have a CCW, but do open carry when I'm in AZ or out in the desert shooting. Most often I carry the P229 set up with the .40 barrel. The holster I have for it holds the gun out further from my waist than the other 'pancake' types I have for the larger framed Sigs.The loaded P220 feels a little lighter than a loaded P229, but not by much.Here are some sample pictures of the collection:Top ViewSide ViewP229 vs S&W 586+Holstered P220 vs. P229:Posted Image

#11 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 05:25 PM

I think we have a Sig fan here!I may need to rethink this. I want an auto loader that is a little lighter than my P220 that I can carry while it is warm. I am going to do a Utah CCW class next month. It is accepted in MO which is where I am moving after my wife retires from the Navy.I want to try for a CA CCW, but it's considerably more money for that permit and all the things that go along with it.

#12 mrkubota

mrkubota

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 05:52 PM

I think we have a Sig fan here!I may need to rethink this. I want an auto loader that is a little lighter than my P220 that I can carry while it is warm. I am going to do a Utah CCW class next month. It is accepted in MO which is where I am moving after my wife retires from the Navy.I want to try for a CA CCW, but it's considerably more money for that permit and all the things that go along with it.

Yeah... I was a big S&W auto shooter until I had an incident where I lost the end of my thumb. That made it impossible for me to operate the safety on the Smith(s). (Try a S&W 4014 if you can find one...)The Sigs don't have manual safeties, so it was the perfect solution, and as it turned out, they're excellent pistols in thier own right.If you haven't checked them out, you might want to try out a Sig P239. The are a bit smaller/lighter with single stack mags. They are offered in 9mm, 357sig and .40s&w.I tried one out when they first were offered, but it's just a little too small for me... or my fingers are just too long for it!I've tried the newer polymer framed guns too, and though they shoot well, they just feel too cheesy to me.//Ben

#13 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 06:01 PM

I tried one out when they first were offered, but it's just a little too small for me... or my fingers are just too long for it!

I have long fingers so that is likely going to be a problem for me. I love the feel of my 220, I just need something a little easier to conceal. I may end up just having to always wear a loose fitting jacket and buying a good shoulder rig to hold my pistola!

#14 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 11:00 PM

You might want to consider something smaller for CCW.

#15 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 11:01 AM

I found a Glock 23 that I am going to go with. Once I am back in MO I can still carry the Sig 220 when its cold and I am wearing a coat.

#16 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 07:34 PM

Not a bad choice. I carried a G23 for 4 years before I decided I needed something smaller and lighter. It's a great gun though.

#17 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,181 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 24 August 2006 - 08:31 AM

Yep I guess you're right there. But then they know to leave you alone. I have several other concealable carry guns and my favorite is probably my Walther PPK. Not the most powerful but he who shoots first shoots last. :lol:

Walther made some really fine firearms. Great to shoot and very reliable. My biggest gripe is that the magazines were too small and the biggest calliber was the 380 auto. I think Sig makes a nice Walther PP clone. The Walther was so easy to take apart. Just pull back the slide and pull down on the front part of the trigger guard. Simple design. Aside from the James Bond popularity the Walthers are highly collectible especially WWII models sporting the various German proof marks for the different divisions. The key in a collectible Walther is to make sure the serial number on the frame of the gun matches the slide. If one is missing or they don't match you still have a nice gun but its value is not as much. Often at the end of the war, soldiers put their own together out of parts they collected thus they didn't match. Enough of my history disertation. I would love to own a Sig in 40SW. Someday!Jason

#18 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 07:45 PM

My Glock 23 gets to come home with me next week! I am going to start watching cheaper than dirt to see if they have any good sales on 40 ammo.

#19 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,685 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 09:09 PM

That Sig turned into a Glock, amazing! :D I hope you like it when you get it. It should be a nice gun.

Time waits for no one--

#20 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 09:54 PM

I had a long talk with a guy who is contracted by police departments and other similar agencies to test and report on different firearms when they want to change weapons or calibers. He knows his stuff about pistols. His favorite is the Sig P220, but carries a Glock 23 for work.

#21 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,685 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 09:37 AM

You must be talking about BBJ as I think that describes his line of work. Beside if he likes the P220 and that's my favorite he's alright in my book. :D

Time waits for no one--

#22 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 09:58 AM

That's the guy. I called him one night and picked his brain. No doubt I will be happy with my selection.

#23 Mayhem

Mayhem

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, Fishing, wwII aviation. Flight sims, Computer games.

Posted 11 September 2006 - 03:29 AM

I found a Glock 23 that I am going to go with. Once I am back in MO I can still carry the Sig 220 when its cold and I am wearing a coat.

I own a (early) sig p229 .40 ( pre-ban pre-rail)It's an awsome firearms outshoots most other guns and it gives me the right to make fun of glocks 8)
Smyrna Lodge #532 F. & A.M.Virtus Junxit Mors Non Separabit!

#24 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 06:36 AM

Yea, it was a tough decision. I owned 2 Sigs in the P220; still have one of them. Both were great pistols. But for the intended use I think I made the right choice.Not to mention, it looks like I am moving to Chicago in July and will sure need a good conceal weapon there!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users