• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,305 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 15 May 2009 - 04:56 PM

Probably not California compliant.http://www.ruger.com/SR556/

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#2 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 05:11 PM

CAA and Tapco components, Troy fore end and sights...you can get that a lot cheaper. It's a good looking carbine though, and I'm sure that the piston driven system will sell well. Good for Ruger.
Sacramento Skull Works ...on Facebook!
Using Dermestid beetles to produce museum quality skulls for your trophy collection.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#3 Guest_dan223_*

Guest_dan223_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2009 - 10:40 PM

Probably not California compliant.http://www.ruger.com/SR556/

I just brought mine home today SJ. Its CA Compliant.

#4 Bronco

Bronco

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • Interests:Hunting i.e. deer, varmints, yotes. Target Shooting, Trap Shooting.

Posted 07 October 2009 - 06:52 AM

I just brought mine home today SJ. Its CA Compliant.

Yep, throw a BB on it and your good to go
Posted ImagePosted ImageNRA Member

#5 Guest_dan223_*

Guest_dan223_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2009 - 10:48 AM

Yep, throw a BB on it and your good to go

It came with one. Purchased here in CA. Approved through DOJ as a long gun.

#6 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,305 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 03:58 PM

I meant if you didn't have a bullet button. ;) :lol:

Time waits for no one--

#7 Bronco

Bronco

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 04:22 PM

I meant if you didn't have a bullet button. :lol: ;)

;)

#8 Guest_dan223_*

Guest_dan223_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2009 - 06:44 PM

Attached File  IMG00042.jpg   63.06KB   56 downloadsAttached File  IMG00041.jpg   71.97KB   50 downloadsSame Rifle as the link SJ provides in his post but it has an Aimpoint M4 Optic with quick release on it. I have to be honest I bought this Ruger more for the fold down front and rear sites then for the Piston ejection system. Call me crazy but all the other choices did not have the versatility that would allow for tactical optic,scope, or open sites with such ease and so little time and no tools. The sites are up in the link SJ posted and simple folded down on my gun. I could use some help from you experts on the best sholder strap for this gun. I plan to try it out on coyotes to see if I like being able to shoot with both eyes open, seems like it will help when they are in close and of course just for the cool photo opportunity and will plink with it as well. Its a ten round Mag made to look like a higher capacity (I know kinda gay but this is CA........) The bullet button can be seen just above the front of the trigger behind the Magazine. Sorry about the cell phone photo but my camera is packed up for a trip.

#9 Bronco

Bronco

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 08:36 PM

Hey Dan one sweet looking rifle. Congrats and enjoy. Oh don't beat yourself about 10 round mags just clip two tens together, not illegal to do that.

#10 bwiese

bwiese

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 01:32 PM

Hey Dan one sweet looking rifle. Congrats and enjoy. Oh don't beat yourself about 10 round mags just clip two tens together, not illegal to do that.

Nice gun, glad to see they are coming into CA. I wouldn't mind a Ruger upper for one of my reg'd AW lowers.Do please tell me, does this have an M4 step barrel? More importantly, does the barrel get thinner under handguards a la USGI profile, or is it fairly straight taper a la the Colt 6921HB or the CMMG MedCon barrels?I wish it had a 1/7" twist bbl for the heavies (75gr TAP, 77gr SMK/OTM) however.I am not a huge fan of piston-driven ARs given overall general goodness of a quality AR platform, but it'd be fun to have one just the same.I've been leery of other brands because of either "garage R&D" (various conversions using screw down impactor replacing the gas key on bolt carrier) or because the companies are small, not necessarily likely to stay in biz over the long run, etc. - with unique parts that vary from implementation to implementation. At least we know Ruger (1) generally makes competent stuff [even thoguh I abhor the Mini14];' (2) replacement parts generally are around for a long time and are not that costly; (3) big enough company that there may even be Ruger-specific aftermarket parts - or other companies will build piston ARs compatible w/Ruger parts.Bill WieseSan Jose

#11 Guest_dan223_*

Guest_dan223_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2009 - 03:21 PM

Hello Bill, The barrel has a 1/9 twist, and it appears to taper "quickly" if you will, within the first inch and a half, where it connects and then it still seems to have a very slight taper the rest of the way to the end of the handguards but I could be mistaken, about the slight taper, since its hard to see with the handguards and the full wrap picatanny rails on four sides. I can pull the handguards if this does not answer your question.As for the brand name, I am not as knowladgable as you and most the people on here that own these "blackguns" but once I decided to purchase one I found comfort in the fact that it was made by Ruger for reasons you have mentioned and while it is more sophisticated then I need I am banking on it lasting for my sons to enjoy as well. I like the piston driven system for ease of clean up, I dont fire anywhwere near enough rounds to justify it any other way. I have never owned one of these before and I have found it to be a very user friendly weapon and fun to shoot. It is more accurate then I expected, probably because my only comparison is my Mini 14 and M1 Carbine. Those two guns are very inconsistant and I was ready for a similar experiance, quite the contrary.

#12 bwiese

bwiese

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 03:27 PM

I like the piston driven system for ease of clean up, I dont fire anywhwere near enough rounds to justify it any other way. I have never owned one of these before and I have found it to be a very user friendly weapon and fun to shoot. It is more accurate then I expected, probably because my only comparison is my Mini 14 and M1 Carbine. Those two guns are very inconsistant and I was ready for a similar experiance, quite the contrary.

Thanks Dan, I may go try and find an SR556 upper for my reg'd AW - just to play with.Bill

#13 Bronco

Bronco

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 03:44 PM

Good to see Bill hanging out here in CPC. Lot's and I mean lot's of knowledge regarding our 2A rights and Ca. gun laws. :roflmao3[1]:

#14 rcpilot_971

rcpilot_971

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 06:13 PM

Hello Im looking for one of these guns where is the best place in sacramento to buy one or is it better to order on line Thanks Tim

#15 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 15 December 2009 - 09:13 PM

Build it yourself out of a kit! Much more satifying to know you put it together yourself. It's also less expensive and you can put things on that you want, not some manufacturers model. My :signgreatreport3kg: .....
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain

#16 rcpilot_971

rcpilot_971

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 10:08 PM

LOL I know nothing about building a gun this will be my first AW I have been out of the sport of shooting for the last 12 years lots has changed in the last 12 years Tim

#17 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 12:15 PM

What's this sweet toy run out the door? I might get myself one. Really nice rifle!!!

#18 mac

mac

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 02:07 PM

;) ...I am slowly breaking my wife down in hopes that I get something like this one day
Mac Daddy"Lock, Stock and Two Smokin' Barrels"

#19 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 03:52 PM

Does she let you pee standing up? ;) It needed saying.This is why you always purchase a bigger safe than you need...so you can hide new stuff in the back! :lol:

#20 mac

mac

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 11:11 AM

OUCH! :signlol2iu: haha! actually she does...just that I've made a few purchases over the past couple years and I guess I need to stop saying "1-more" cause that never helps...I need to say "a few more" and then she'd probably be okay
Mac Daddy"Lock, Stock and Two Smokin' Barrels"

#21 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 06:49 PM

Around my house I just lay down the law. I say (in a bold voice), "If I want to purchase another firearm, I will and i don't need no woman's approval!" Of course, when i say this my wife is usually at the grocery store. <g> You'd be surprised how many firearms you can win with a raffle ticket...my missus certainly is! :signbummer8tl:

#22 homemade

homemade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 07:55 PM

Well when they never look in the safe how will they ever notice a new one once in a while.

#23 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 09:17 AM

Dan223 disappeared on us, anyone know what this Ruger runs?

#24 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,305 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 10:05 AM

Yeah Dan just did what some people do he got interested in something else I guess. People come and go and come back again. Coyote hunting just isn't for everyone.

Time waits for no one--

#25 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,790 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 20 December 2009 - 10:26 AM

Bruce, a quick google search found one for $1500.
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#26 acousticmood

acousticmood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 11:59 AM

:roflmao3[1]: ...I am slowly breaking my wife down in hopes that I get something like this one day

Hmmm...... Just this morning my wife and I had that "how many guns do you have now?" discussion, which naturally flows into the "why would you need anymore?" discussion. Oh well, If I start right after Christmas, I can start working on her for next year....This year she "let" me buy two air rifles (PCP and springer) and a 10-22 (that I subsequently pimped out to the max!)Maybe next year - that is a sweet looking rifle. Maybe I could tell her I'll sell my Keltec SU-16.Didn't mean to hi-jack the thread - Its not my fault - I'm just sitting hear drinking too much coffee!! :smiley-funny-post-sign:

#27 acousticmood

acousticmood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 12:01 PM

Around my house I just lay down the law. I say (in a bold voice), "If I want to purchase another firearm, I will and i don't need no woman's approval!" Of course, when i say this my wife is usually at the grocery store. <g> You'd be surprised how many firearms you can win with a raffle ticket...my missus certainly is! :roflmao3[1]:

:smiley-funny-post-sign:

#28 bwiese

bwiese

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 01:04 PM

$1500ish seems to be the going rate for those modified to be CA-legal and shipped into CA.This also reflects the phony Obama gun panic which is dying down, so prices should drop a bit as out of state vendors herd to sell into California to replace dropping sales elsewhere.You can't really build a rifle like this since it's a piston design, and every piston AR design is different/proprietary.In 20 years, this Ruger piston design will still be around, with spare parts available - while other piston AR vendors could well be outta business. I'm sure they put some real engineering into it - and I say this as a complete non-fan of the Mini14. Bill WieseSan Jose CA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users