#1 mtn dog

mtn dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting.
    Other interests:
    My family, writing, photography, 2nd Amendment.
    Looking forward to meeting as many of you as possible.

Posted 07 June 2011 - 09:57 AM

I think my family, including our nine-year-old son, would really enjoy archery. None of us have any real experience with it. What basic advice do you archers have about the best way to check it out? Are there places offering lessons and equipment rental for curious newbies? (I'm in El Dorado County.) Thanks.
"If we make enough laws, we can all be criminals."

#2 fgeye

fgeye

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 10:21 AM

I dont know if you are near here but you can check this link out. search out a archery club near you and I am sure they will be happy to help you outhttp://www.eldoradohillsbowmen.com/

#3 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,230 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 07 June 2011 - 10:59 AM

three words: ASK THUMPER DUNKER!!!

#4 packhorse9

packhorse9

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Interests:pigs, turkey,varmints, 4 wheeling, motorcycles, classic cars. target shooting,

Posted 07 June 2011 - 12:20 PM

I think my family, including our nine-year-old son, would really enjoy archery. None of us have any real experience with it. What basic advice do you archers have about the best way to check it out? Are there places offering lessons and equipment rental for curious newbies? (I'm in El Dorado County.) Thanks.

When my son was about 10, (20 years ago) I bought him a small compound bow for xmas and we set up a target in the back yard, thats how we started and he now has at least 5 bows, when ever he comes from alaska for a visit we always grab the bows and shoot for awhile,

#5 mtn dog

mtn dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts
    Other interests:

Posted 07 June 2011 - 12:52 PM

I'd love that kind of outcome. Hopefully we can all get introduced to it and see how strong the interest is before I start spending money on gear that will just collect dust in the garage.Will check the local EDH Bowmen club.

#6 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,181 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 07 June 2011 - 01:17 PM

My dad started us out with some small bows and a hay bale target set up behind the house. Eventually he got into it after we attended a free archery intro clinic at a local sporting goods store. The rest is history. My son is 8 and I got him his first bow for Christmas. Just a simple recurve and he loves going outside and shooting at the target I set up for him. Some of the better archery shops can get you set up and give some basic training, particularly if they have a range as part of their store.

#7 hoodtrix

hoodtrix

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 08:10 PM

I was in the same boat, so I looked up the local shops and notice one gave lessions and now the hole family is hooked

#8 Elderberry

Elderberry

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 08:53 AM

Thumper definitely knows the deal. But I googled BowHunters Unlimited for the Bay Area. Most areas have an archery range not too far. Ours offers free lessons first Sunday of the month. They are in Saratoga, CA. BHU is a fine group of folks. Even got used bows there so I didnt' have to spend too much money on a bow. The instructors bring bows for you to use on your lessons though. Good luck!El

#9 leftfoot

leftfoot

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 08:35 AM

Wilderness Archery in Rocklin has good instructors and lot of equipment to choose from. My Advice (after 28 yrs of archery) is to start off with inexpensive stuff and bows that aren't too heavy to draw. It's suppose to be fun remember. My whole family and I shoot recurves and longbows. If you go compound keep it simple till you learn more. That way you can make sound decisions about what suits you and your family. Making your own arrows is always fun and the young ones really getting to painting then. Good luck and keeping 'em on the target. :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

#10 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,653 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 20 June 2011 - 12:13 AM

Miss this. Can't realy add any thing but just go do it and keep it simple.
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#11 mtn dog

mtn dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts
    Other interests:

Posted 20 June 2011 - 03:44 PM

Finances being what they are these days, I pretty much have no choice but to keep it simple. I appreciate all the suggestions.

#12 jono1798

jono1798

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
  • Interests:Fishing. cycling. golf. wing chun. tinkering in the garage on just about anything. Movies. My Aussie cattle dog "chopper" and now hunting

Posted 27 July 2011 - 06:40 PM

Hey Thumper, would you recommend starting with a recurve or compound bow?

#13 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,653 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 10:59 AM

Asking me what to start with.! :signgreatreport3kg: I do not like componds . You can get a better cheap recurve than you can get a good cheap compond . (new) Try both out. You can put sights on a recurve also but componds have the let off . Recurves and long bows can be real pretty ,componds are always ugly but some are cool looking. Too many things can go wrong with a compond.IMO. Both types are good and both have their faults. Stick bows are just cooler.
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#14 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,026 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 03:19 PM

If your in Pasadena CA check out http://www.rovingarchers.com/They have free lessons and they offer equipment for use too.

#15 mtn dog

mtn dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts
    Other interests:

Posted 05 August 2011 - 05:00 PM

Asking me what to start with.! :signgreatreport3kg: I do not like componds . You can get a better cheap recurve than you can get a good cheap compond . (new) Try both out. You can put sights on a recurve also but componds have the let off . Recurves and long bows can be real pretty ,componds are always ugly but some are cool looking. Too many things can go wrong with a compond.IMO. Both types are good and both have their faults. Stick bows are just cooler.

LOL! No bias showing there, eh?I got my boy interested in a Fred Bear starter compound bow. It's actually under-powered for him but still enough fun to keep him interested in the backyard. I'm hoping to put in some time at Cabelas in Reno next week. I'd like to try different bows. I will contact a local club to see what else is available to a complete newbie.

#16 tommybuilt

tommybuilt

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 06:48 PM

Hey Ken, Mosquito Creek Outfitters in Placerville has an archery dept.,but like leftfoot stated above, Wilderness Archery in Rocklin is the best shop around here and they also have an indoor range. I've been shooting for years, my first bow was a recurve and now I'm on my 3rd or 4th compound. It's got all the modern stuff, peep sight, 5 sight pins, drop away rest, and sometimes I think I'd rather shot a recurve with no sights. My eyes aint what they used to be. My son shoots also, but he's 32 years old. I think it's something you and your son will really enjoy doing together. When you go to Cabelas, drive over to Sparks and check out Sheels, they've got a great archery dept. too.

#17 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 05 August 2011 - 06:53 PM

Hi Dog....keep your eyes open and check Craig's list for bows. I bought a super sweet Darton bow with a bunch of arrows and misc accessories for a killer price. I took it to an archery shop to get checked out and the "Bow Guy" said I got a killer deal on the entire setup. The best part is that with the modern releases and bow sights, you can become proficient rather quickly. My instructor didn't believe that it was my first time using a bow. The bottom line is "go for it" because it is a gas. The compound bows sport some real power and I am looking forward to my first bow hunt. Lots of guys are hurting for cash and stuff like bows, etc. are the first thing to go. You should be able to score a good bow at a very reasonable price.
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." Winston Churchill

#18 mtn dog

mtn dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts
    Other interests:

Posted 19 August 2011 - 03:49 PM

UPDATE: The family is signed up for a beginners class next month offered by El Dorado Hills Bowmen. That club maintains a cool range course about 45 minutes from us. We're all excited. I hope to learn enough to at least shop intelligently for a decent first bow.More importantly, I hope my wife loves it because that will make future equipment purchases much easier! :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: I also discovered that one should never underestimate the capability of a so-called 'underpowered' bow. We have been enjoying the little 8# draw Fred Bear Scout 'starter' bow I bought for my boy. Our backyard is 54 yards wide. We put the target in the middle of the yard and fire toward it from the edge of the yard. Any arrows that miss the target are found in the lawn a good 15-20 yards from the opposite fence. Fired flat, those arrows can't reach the opposite side of the yard. Not true if the angle is raised to about 45 degrees. HOLY CRAP!!!! :1087: :doh[1]: :blush: It is true that God watches over children and fools!

#19 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,653 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 10:17 PM

:smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: Careful it can get pretty addictive. :doh[1]:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users